Breathables and Wading boots

What about really cold conditions? what do you guys recondmend?

Are breathables still okay? or neoprenes? I am waderless after this last weekend. Steelheading in january gets really freakin cold hahaha.

Breathables are fine in the cold. Just get some good fleece long johns to wear under them.

cool. what about foot gear??

Should I buy wading boots that are a size or 2 bigger to wear more layers?

I have been wearing breathables in the coldest conditions for a few years. While bootfoot neos are preferable in the cold, I can only afford one set of waders. I would die before I wore bootfoot neos on 90% of my fishing trips. Too hot and uncomfortable.

I wear fleece pants and thigh high wool socks with my breathables. I get cold, but never unbearably so.

The key is to make sure your socks and boots are relatively loose. People mistake bad circulation for poor insulation all of the time.

If you are doing alot of fishing over the winter look for waders with an insulated boot foot, they make a huge difference over stocking foot waders. If you have to use stocking foot waders then make sure your wading boots are big enough to layer socks and still have enough room for a loose fit. A tight fitting boot is a major cause of cold feet.

Dear millertime,

A couple of things to consider about layering. Breathables work fine in the Winter provided you have room in them to layer clothes.

Synthetic materials like polypropolene are best for the base layer. Traditional cotton long johns are definitely not your best choice. Poly allows moisture, ie sweat, to pass through to the outer layer. Plenty of places offer "wicking" long johns made of poly.

There are plenty of options in fleece pants, Cabela's has a nice pair with stirrups on the feet to keep them from riding up on you for about $ 35.00 though they are by no means your only choice.

What goes for the pants also works for the feet. Get a pair of sheer poly wicking socks to wear as your base sock. After that the choice is yours though I prefer 100 percent wool as it insulates just as well when it is damp as when it is dry, and you can get warm wool socks that are thinner than many of the blended material socks.

The key is to get the moisture away from your skin. You don't have to dress like the Michelin Man to accomplish that.

Try searching at Sierra Trading Post to see your options in poly thermal underwear, they have a lot of it on sale in their bargain bin.

One last thing is that if you buy larger wading shoes than you wear in a normal street shoe don't get then too large. You can fill in a little space with socks but if you have to wear too much it can wind up binding your feet and work worse than too little insulation.

You need to have full range of movement and be able to wiggle your toes. That is why it can be really important to try your wading gear on before you buy it.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

do you guys think with would be a good option for keeping my feet warm in the winter?

Cabela's

I was thinking normal sock / neo sock / stocking foot / boot.

I think it would be cool to wet wade in summer too. you could wear a neo sock and your normal wading boot.

They sell a 2mm and 3mm.

That's just what they're made for... wet wading.

I wouldn't expect two layers of neoprene to offer too much insulation, and it would definitely cause a tight fit. Then again, if your stocking foot waders are big enough, it could be nice.

My system:

Wicking synthetic sock (dress socks work well. Thanks Jack)
100% wool outer sock

That's all there is to it. I try to keep everything relatively loose to prevent bad circulation. I'll throw some chemical foot warmer pads on for good measure.

I have a apair of those I use with my super ultra light nylon waders I bought as a backup a hundred years ago. Forgot them once and my regular waders leaked. Brrrrrr. I like a thin pair of wick dry socks under a nice fluffy pair of synthetic wool wicking socks.

under armor , long johns , fleece pants , breathable , february calls for the propane heater while fishing somedays

Back