Breathables and Wading boots

Millertime

Millertime

I am looking for something low cost, but not crappy.
I have like $200 total but would prefer more like $150 range unless it would really sacrificing quality.

Simms is not an option. HAHA.

Any horror stories? Ryguy I know you hate your current breathable waders. . . what should I stay away from?

Also what kind of sole should I get?

I am going to get felt for sure. . . I have never owned a felt sole and I am tired of slipping on all these W.Pa slime streams.
So there my question there would be. . . To stud or not to stud?

Thanks in advance.

Check out the LL Bean breathable waders. I just got the chest waders for $100 and their products are guranteed. Still using my old boots.

I'll second the waders from Bean, or Orvis, because of their outstanding customer service.
Orvis's Endura Waders run around $150 now, I believe

Have not looked at waders for a while since I have a good pair- so cant be of much help there. Maybe Sierra Trading Post.

I like studs on my boots. Almost killed myself with felts on ElK Creek's flat slippery rocks few days back. 1 vote for studs.

Studs = sheet metal screws ! RyanH taught me that

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2248,1899M_Patagonia-Watermaster-Light-Fly-Fishing-Waders-Neoprene-Stockingfoot-For-Men.html

Dear millertime,

Another vote for studs. Like Bruno said hex head sheet metal screws work just fine, the only caution I would add is sometimes the aluminum screws work better than the stainless steel ones.

The reason for that is depending on the underlying rocks sometimes the stainless steel is just too hard to get a bite on them. They don't dig in and you can still slip.

The downside to aluminum screws is that they wear out much faster but they are far less expensive so you can always add a couple more.

If you stud your boots yourself you only need four of five screws on the toe portion of your boots and 3 or maybe four on the heel to greatly improve traction.

If you get plain felt and want to stud them just take the boots to your local hardware store and measure the screws against the thickness of the felt and the harder midsole. You don't want to just guess and wind up with screws that penetrate the insole of your boots. Once you have the right size make sure your soles are completely dry and put a dab of epoxy on the screw and run it in with a cordless drill.

If you just want to buy studded boots and be done with it I'll recommend the Cabela's Ultralights at $ 69.99 with studs. I have a pair with plain felt that I added screws too because at the time I bought them they didn't offer them with studs. The boots are the same with or without studs and they are well made, comfortable, and have lasted me well over about 3 or 4 years. If you have wide feet you may want to buy your boots in the next larger size, I wear 12 EEE street shoes and always buy 13's in wading boots.

As far as the waders go, it's anyone's guess. I have had great luck with Orivs waders and plenty of people think they are positively awful?

I will recommend that unless you are a well within a standard size range that it is best to try your waders on before buying, as each brand seems to be cut just a little bit differently. Hopefully you'll get to a store where you can try them on as needed and maybe be able to score a good deal on "last year's model?"

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Thanks Guys.

Real good info Tim, Thanks for explaining the installation.

I like the LL bean Emergers. They are brand new which makes me want to shop around a bit though. No reviews on them yet.

The cabelas boots seem really nice for the price I got my Cabelas fly fishing Magazine in the mail yesterday makes work pass by a lot faster.

I have Simms waders, I know those are out, but as far as boots go I have Patagonia Riverwalkers with studded felt soles. The are pretty nice and lightweight and I think reasonably priced.

check out the waders from albright , the trinitys are 69.00 and i think it says year guarantee , their felt soled boots are 30 $ , as far as studs , go to a motorcycle shop and get gold ice racing screws , they are 22.00 for 250 and they are awesome , 1/2 " long screw right into my chotas , i also think some of the cheaper brand simms breathables are arround 150 , i love mine but at 70 $ for the albrights just pitch em every year andd your still probably ahead , i was told by several people that bought the very expensive breathables you can figure about 5 yrs max if that , so thats roughly 70 $ a year

Millertime,

LL Bean's unconditional warranty is pretty tough to beat, but I know guys have had good experiences with Cabelas as well. I just know that Bean will take anything back at any time if you're unsatisfied.

Orvis Silver Labels are on sale right now, I have these and use them as my backup or in warmer weather. They have served me well and the price is right @ under $150. You can acutally go to NCflyshop.com and click the Orvis link from his page and order them and the shop will get credit for your purchase. I did that when I picked up my Pro Guide 3's. The Orvis sizing charts are spot on from my experience.

I only buy studded boots at this point and there are plenty of options out there for those.

Dear millertime,

Jaybo has given another nod to Orvis. I have a pair of Silver Labels that I bought about 4 years ago when my 8 year old Clearwaters were on their last legs. They are the equivalent of Orvis Enduras today, the current Silver Labels are a step up. No problems at all.

On the outside chance that you are a "big fella" the larger Orvis sizes are much more geneorously cut than anything I've tried. I'll admit I haven't tried Dan Bailey waders, and I've heard they fit a big man pretty well.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

You are right Mark, I am not happy with my waders. DO NOT buy any waders or equipment from Gander mountain. Their return policy is aweful. I have mine almost all the way patched up... tested them out this weekend and still felt a few drops. But better than the few cups I poured out the last time I went out.

Check out LLBean's waders for only $59.

Also check out all of the Albright waders and boots.

LLBean has a lifetime warranty, Albright has a 1 year 1 time replacement or repair warranty. Choose your weapon carefully.

Check out this site. Click on the online catalog the check out their clearance and specials section.

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping

Save up and get Simms, you will be much happier in the long run

I have had great luck with Orvis waders-they stand behind their product and you can't beat the customer service

just saw a site called redtruckflyfishing.com , they have the simms freestone breathables on sale for 119.00 and simms l2 studded wading boots for 89 , thats your 200 total and i think they would make an awesome set , just my .02 $

I think you've received a lot of great advise, especially at your price point. I will provide my experience on Cabellas and Orvis. I've had a pair of Cabellas - their guide series, a number of years ago. They lasted me about 30 days on the water before they were shot.

Orvis - I've had two pair of the ProGuide series waders. The first one's didn't last two years, the second ones didn't either. Both pair crapped out at the seams, which is common.

I now have the newer Ovis Guide 3 waders because Orvis has sent me a new pair both times they crapped out on me. Great customer service IMO but doesn't do me much good when I have a leak on the stream. The new ones have different seams, which is always the problem with all waders, so hopefully, they have rectified the problem. I use these as my back up boots now.

I have the SIMMS G3's now that I wear on a regular basis. Great boots, comfy, and the seams are not along the edge of the leg but in the front, which reduces friction. I hope they last. If they do, I will never be without them - they are that comfortable.

Perhaps it's my wader care, but I don't do anything out of the ordinary and hang and dry them appropriately. Who knows, but all waders have their issues in my expeirence - cheap to expensive.

As for wading boots, I've had the Cabelas Guide boots and they were excellent boots for the money and lasted me for years. I don't think you can go wrong with those boots for the price point.

I replaced them with a couple of pair of Simms boots. Both felt. The discontinued Guide Model - excellent boot - light weight - wish they still made it. And the SIMMS G3's. The G3's are by far the most comfortable boot I've ever owned and getting into them and out of them is a pleasure not a chore. I'm drilling studs into the older Guide Series boots for Erie because I've taken far too many rides on that slimed shale in the past! I bought them two sizes too big for a trip when I had a broken toe and had it wrapped so they serve as my winter boots when I need that extra wool sock.

I use hodgman waist high breathables (around 70 bucks) and frogg togg wading boots, think they were around 50 bucks. been using both for a while now, fish at least 75 days a year, no problems with either. with the boots, just make sure they are comfy, try on every pair the shop has.

rudeone,
Thanks for the heads up on the Madison River Fishing Company clearance sales. Just gave myself an early Christmas present. I picked up a pair of the Cloudveil Wading Pants & Simms Guide Boots (felts & studs). Thanks again.
Matt

Orvis here as well, think they are the clear water (cheapest) and work very well.

Boots look at Sierra, they almost always have some on sell...

Back