Breathable vs. Neoprene waders..

T

TroutBuster

I'm debating switching over to breathable waders this year. I've always used neoprene waders, but wanting something that isnt quite as hot in the warm weather. My only concerns about the breathable waders are their durability (lots of brush where I fish) and that need alot of special care compared to neoprene. Any thoughts/advice???

I have both. I still like neoprenes when it's cold, and usually wear them in early spring, and late fall. Although last year, I wore them the third week of May - during that nasty, cold weather we had for the jam. They're certainly more durable - I've used my current pair for the last 3 years with no problems, and will get at least one more year out of them.
Conversely, I rarely get much more than a year out of any breathables I've owned, before they start leaking.
As for fishing in brushy areas - usually small streams - I wear plain old rubber hip boots. They're about as durable as it gets

Just do it ...its like fishing in jeans but staying dry...I've had my pair for three years and they replaced a pair of neoprenes that lasted a little over a year. I wear them in the winter too, you. You just have to layer under them and you can stay just as worm as in neoprenes...I put off buying them for the year that my last pair of neoprenes lasted...when I bought them I wished I hadn't waited.

I've enjoyed a lot of technological advances in fly fishing over the years but nothing improved my comfort while fishing as much as breathable waders. I use them in winter and summer. I just wear fleece wader pants and/or thermals in the winter. I tend to walk and that generates sweat even in the winter so breathables work for me all year long.

I use cabelas gold medal dry plus premium. they use 5 ply material in high wear areas. I've had them for about 3 seasons (140+ trips) with no leaks so far. The built in gravel guards are starting to fray at the edges but they're still intact and don't effect performance. I don't clean my waders or perform any special care other then hanging them on a boot dryer after every use (well, almost every use).

There are plenty of good brands that should be durable.

If your neoprene waders are in good shape you may want to consider waist high waders for warmer weather. The water level is typically lower in the summer and I find them more comfortable and perfect 98% of the time.

I've thought about getting the wader pants. They look like a pretty good compromise for warm weather and still have the durability of neoprene.
And yes I always have a pair of rubber waders in the truck if the terrain around the stream really looks rough!

I could not image fishing in neoprene outside of cold weather. Guess it could depend on how often you fish though. I for one am a sweaty mess after getting geared up- slapping on the sunscreen and walking a half mile in my breathables. If you got the extra dough- go for it. Once April rolls around my neos are hanging up till the next steelhead season.

Again, not sure what type of fishing you do etc... I wade in to my waist and beyond frequently (almost every outing) to cross and to retrieve snagged flies.

TroutBuster wrote:
I've thought about getting the wader pants. They look like a pretty good compromise for warm weather and still have the durability of neoprene.
And yes I always have a pair of rubber waders in the truck if the terrain around the stream really looks rough!

Mine roll down inside and have belt loops to make them waist high waders (or pants) why buy two things when one does it for both....

Once you learn to layer properly with breathable waders, you may not use neoprene again. My Simms Lightweights are about to enter their 9th season. I use them every fishable weekend from March thru early December on the Yough and Laurel Hill. I'd guess I get out 25 -35 times a season( Thank God for self employment). I'm a little baffled by the amount of trouble folks have with leaks in waders of all brands & prices. Maybe they should be fishing more and less crawling around. Just kidding, don't mean to make anyone mad. We all do our own thing in our own way. As for wading pants, I purchased a pair of Cloudveil Crystal Creek Wading Pants 2 years ago. Yes they are pricey, but boy are they nice. I'd suggest similar waders to anyone who fish waters that you rarely get water over your hips. If your interested in Cloudveils' and want to save money, check Ebay or Cloudveil sometimes put them on sale for 1/2 off.
As for taking care of breathables. I just follow the manufacturers instructions. I'll wash & clean them and retreat them with Revivex maybe 2 or 3 times a year. This is for Gore-Tex of course. I'm not familiar with other brands of breathable materials.
Hope this helps a bit. Thanks & Good Luck.

I only use breathables, and it's all would ever buy.

So breathable waders have to be "treated" or coated with something to make them waterproof a couple times a year??

Also, is there any way to patch breathables if they get a leak from a rip or hook through them or whatever...?

They probably don't need to be "treated" as often as I do. Gore-Tex is a breathable material thus isn't a coating like other materials. I only use the Revivex for my own satisfaction to keep the material working to its peak. You might want to check out Simms' website and watch the videos. One group is fishing videos and the other is how to service Simms products such as repairing, cleaning, and applying Revivex to your waders. Repairing them is pretty simple and straight foward. Pin holes only require a dab of Aquaseal and a there's a patch kit that comes with the waders if you should get a tear. Good Luck.

Thanks Hendeylathe.... I know what gortex is, but didn't know that some waders are made of it. But not all breathable waders are Goretex, right?

I have never treated my waders. Just wash them a couple times per year.

Most breathable are abrasion resistant and have extra thik layers at the knees. I have walked through many briar bushes and never had a hole.

I only use breathables, and it's all would ever buy.

I second this post! They are all you need, layer your clothes in the winter, roll them down in the summer. I wouldn't go small game hunting in them, but they hold up to the brush rather well.

JH

troutbuster,

Treatments like revivex are for the outer layer of a garment and while this coating is water repellent it is not what makes the garment waterproof. The waterproof membrane such as Goretex or Dry Plus is layered between two materials to increase its durability. Then additional layers can be added to improved durability even further.

Revivex is applied to the external layer to prevent wetting of the protective material. After using your waders for a while you may notice certain areas (especially places that rub) appear dark longer after leaving the water. This is because the outer layer(s) have absorbed some moisture. Your waders are still waterproof since the waterproof membrane is not affected by the loss of the coating. What is affected somewhat is the breathability of the fabric. I’ve never bothered with recoating my waders but just spray some revivex and you’re almost as good as new.

BTW - Revivex can be used on many materials to improve water repellency. I use it on jackets and hats.

TroutBuster wrote:

You may be mixing two things here. When I was refering to wading pants I meant pants you wear under your waders for warmth. I just started using Cabelas Waderwise pants this winter. They're much more comfortable then jeans. I figured I was wearing breathable waders so I should also wear breathable pants underneath that wick moisture. There are plenty of brands and options to choose from. I get club points and coupons for Cabelas so I tend to have a lot of their items.

The other wading pants I was referring to are waist high waders. If I only had one pair of waders they would need to be chest high. I have two sets so one is chest high and the other waist high. I don't typically fish large rivers or lakes. I fish streams like the Tully and smaller most of the time. I just got tired of rolling down my chest high waders as things warmed up so I bought waist high waders and I have my chest highs just in case. You can also get convertible waders that roll up nicely into waist high waders. I like the simms convertible waders but I bought the two pairs I have now for less then what they cost. Also, I like knowing I have spare set in reserve especially on long trips. Maybe someone knows of reasonably priced convertible waders.

You'll really like going breathable.

Yeah, I was thinking of the waste high waders.
I'm probably going to give the breathables a try. Even though I rarely go deeper than what I can wade with hip waders, I spend too much time fishing that I want something more comfortable than the rubber waders (and cooler than my neoprene chest waders). I've tried on some neoprene hip waders, but didn't like them too much. So I guess breathables it is!

Can anyone who washes their breathables explain the process. What kind of soap? How do you wash them?

JackM wrote:
Can anyone who washes their breathables explain the process. What kind of soap? How do you wash them?

...and for what purpose?

I had a problem with my ProGuide3 waders saturating below the knee and making my legs wet. When I called Orvis, they suggested spraying them with Camp Dry or the like because it sounded like they had lost their water repelency. Or he said to send them back and they would replace them (only 5 mos) I sent them back.

But I do want to know why you would wash your waders.....Matt?

It's more of a rinse.
I try and keep the inside dry and hand scrub the outside. No brushes or soap.

It's mostly to get the stains of aquatic vegitation, and gink; and subsequently the smell of creek water out. I wipe my hands on my waders A LOT.

Back