Breaking Line

B

bmcdonald1217

Might be a silly question, but if you get hung up in brush, trees or rocks, what is the best way to break your line? I've already had a bunch of seasoned FF tell me to be mighty careful with your rod when getting snagged. Should you simply cut the line at a place close to where the leader meets your line? Sorry for the weak question, but I'd rather play safe than sorry.

I strip out enough line out the tip, grab it in my hand, and pull STRAIGHT back. I usually also look away so I don't take a fly to face at mach 1.

If you can't do that, aim the rod STRAIGHT at the fly, do the same thing.

I point the rod straight at the fly and start stripping line in so that the rod does not bend at all. Look away and eventually something will give.

YEP what they say is true , just be sure not to get whacked that is very important , after everything is tight and you start to pull turn your back on it.

Also, change your position when pulling. That seems to help to.

wsender wrote:
I point the rod straight at the fly and start stripping line in so that the rod does not bend at all. Look away and eventually something will give.

Good advice. I've seen 2 guys break expensive fly rods by just yanking when they got hooked on something. Snapped the rod near the tip in both cases.

You would think that 4x tippet would break before a graphite rod breaks, but it ain't necessarily so.

First, develop a technique for undoing the hang-up. My experience is if you know you're into a tree, let slack off immediately, unless you are already completely taught, in which case you hold the flie and line taught until you can have a look at how it is snagged. Often, at this point slowly allowing a relaxing of the tension may demonstrate that you are hopelessly wrapped, or perhaps only temporarily suspended.

If the latter, try using very gentle flicks of the rod tip that introduce and take up short 6 inch segments of slack. Sometime: "flick, flick, flick" and it's loose. As noted, do not yank on it, but just flick the line to draw and release a short segment of slack.

No go? Let another 10 feet of slack out and grasp the line above the rod tip and get the rest of the rod out of the way, straightened fully, with a little slack so you don't end up re-bending the rod. With line in hand, work your way slowly toward the snag. When close enough, use a nearby stick or your wading staff to draw the branch into your hand, where you can bend the bow to eye-level. Remove fly. If the branch is still too high and you cannot climb the tree, with your hand as close to the fly as possible, pull straight until the tippet snaps.

If you don't mind leaving a fly and 3 feet of leader hanging from the tree, then some of the other ideas for snapping the line may work from 30 feet away.

bmcdonald1217,

Clearly everyone means tippet, sometime leader, when they are saying "line". Specifically you state, "Should you simply cut the line at a place close to where the leader meets your line?" I would suggest you never cut your line, only the leader if necessary, tippet when possible.

For an overhanging tree limb or snag you cannot reach or wade to, I do the same as the others, point the rod at the fly and pull on the line to snap the tippet.

However, before snapping off your line, sometimes I find that if you give the line some slack when you get snagged instead of yanking the rod (setting the hook), you can often just give a quick, strong roll cast to free your hook from a rock or log. Sometimes 3-4 repetitive roll casts are needed work the hook free, that is if it is not helplessly tangled around out of reach branches.

they use to sell pole pruner heads with line that you could put in tip top and put on limb-lol

I've been known to use a net or wading staff when I can get away with it.

Back