Bread crust nymph.

S

SeanC

I was curious if any of you accomplished fly tyers have a good method of tying the bread crust nymph. splitting the the quill of a red-phased ruffed grouse tail feather for the thorax is a pain. Here is the link that I was using.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/082806fotw.php

Hi Sean - Maybe this will help:

breadcrust

Ya gotta have a seriously wild burr to tie those things. They do work, though.

Sounds like a project for gfen!

in comparision to stupid fly tying tricks, this thing makes wonderwings look like dubbing a walt's worm.

holy carp, i'd murder my family before i put out that kinda effort, but even i gotta say that's a sharp looking lump of boring fly. ;)

but yeah, this fly is one i'll pay the sri lankans for.

sean
Try this one ,much easyier
http://www.pisgahchaptertu.org/Fly_of_the_Month.pdf
scroll down to breadcrust nymph
beadhead2

Thanks for the input. If this fly wast such a productive little bugger i wouldnt even bother but its a killer pattern. Ive tried to cheat and use dubbing and hackle for the body but its not the same. For some reason that damn grouse quil on the body gives the fly unique effect that gets em going. Ive used this during caddis hatches when the fish are eating subsurface and it out fishes most of my emerger patterns. You can fish it like a nymph or even swinging like a wet fly. Nice fly to add to your quiver. Too bad tying them is like doing surgery.

SeanC wrote:
Thanks for the input. If this fly wast such a productive little bugger i wouldnt even bother but its a killer pattern. Ive tried to cheat and use dubbing and hackle for the body but its not the same. For some reason that damn grouse quil on the body gives the fly unique effect that gets em going. Ive used this during caddis hatches when the fish are eating subsurface and it out fishes most of my emerger patterns. You can fish it like a nymph or even swinging like a wet fly. Nice fly to add to your quiver. Too bad tying them is like doing surgery.
What size hook are you using Sean? Just got a Grouse skin at FFP. My give it a shot.

Hey Franklin. I fish mostly size 14 and 16. I have some size 12 but havent had the same success with them. I talked with Blue River Angler in CO today and they have the original quil version. They are going to send me a few dozen this week. I fished this in Colorado and its killer out there. Cant wait to give them a try during the grannom's.

Killer fly that I used a lot back in the day (when I hunted grouse). I believe the stripped grouse tail quill is essential to the pattern.

No knows whats on the mind of a trout...lol, but my theory has always been, the breadcrust represents a cased caddis very well. It definitely worth having in your fly box.

I recommend you strip a bunch of quills all at once and soak them. The preparation of the materials (the quill) takes a lot longer than tying the fly. I usually tie them weighted (lead wire). Good luck.

I may try to tie one up. This may be one fly that makes more sense to by a few than go to all that trouble.

Sean, could you bring one to the meeting next week to get a look?

Pat Dorsey's latest book, Tying Tailwater Flies has a chapter on that pattern. He says people swear by it. Doesn't look too difficult to tie, but material prep seems to be bothersome. Why not just use a turkey biot for the body.

T

hey guys,
i have just joined and i like the concept.
sounds good to me!!!!!

Back