Brand new - outfitting myself with a fly fishing kit

Hello - I am brand new and looking into outfitting myself with a fly fishing setup but have faint ideas of what to get. First route was going to be a combo (I looked at the Orvis Encounter combo, Fenwick nighthawk combo, and redington crosswater combo) but decided against it because of too many bad reviews. Now I'm wondering - what rod and reel to get? what line to get? I know I want a 9 ft 5wt rod, but am torn between getting the fenwick eagle which I have heard is amazing for its price, the fenwick aetos (more $$), an echo, an orvis, or a redington. Mainly looking for a decent warranty and versatility; I will be fishing for panfish and trout in Minnesota and hopefully PNW eventually. as for the reel, I have no clue. I'm trying to keep it all under $250. Help!!

All of those combos are perfectly serviceable for your first outfit. They are all reputable companies and make consistently good products. It all comes down to personal taste in terms of the feel and action of the rod, which as a beginner you don’t have yet and don’t know what your preferences will be. Pretty much all the models you are discussing are middle of road med/fast actions that will be suitable for the majority of anglers and you as a beginner...As you learn what you like you can make a more specific purchase on your next rod. Think like Scotch...You probably don’t get into that world with Laphroaig being your first sip. You start with something more down the middle...say Balvenie or Glenlevit.

A combo is probably the best way overall to get into the game with decent equipment for within your budget. Again, all of the ones you mentioned are good, and are the options I would have recommended if you didn’t have a starting point. For normal Trout (not Steelhead or Salmon) and panfish, the reel matters very little as it really just serves as a line holder, and even a simple drag system will be fine for handling those species of fish. Prioritize the rod over the reel in your decision.

I am not all that familiar with those rods but I would recommend a moderate action rod to start. You can slow down, think about what you're doing, and FEEL the rod flexing and loading. An Okuma Sierra is a very cheap yet functional reel. Scientific Anglers Aircel is a cheap and functional line, as is Cortland Fairplay and Cortland 333.

Cabela's use to have some seriously cheap discounts on fly rods and their Three Forks was a real steal. I think I bought one for like $30. I still have it and loan it out. A 5 weight is a good starting point. I can recommend a Redington Classic Trout rod. I have more expensive rods and I still love fishing the Redington. It finds its way into my rotation and is what I've been fishing recently.

Any of those combos we be just fine. The redington classic trout is a fine rod that always goes on sale this time of year for under a hundred bucks. As to the reel, anything will work. Can't go wrong with Cortland 444 or any cabelas brand WFF line.

Don't equate fly fishing with dollars. It need not be expensive and expensive means little.

Good advice in the previous posts. I agree, no need to spend a lot of money on your first rod outfit. My suggestion is to stop in a fly shop if there's one in your area, and ask for help choosing a rod outfit that would work for the type of fishing you plan to do. Good luck.

I agree with the Fly Shop suggestion if you have one nearby. You cannot get fly shop-quality knowledge from online or big box retailers. By purchasing equipment and material from a fly shop, you develop relationships and get service whose value will far exceed whatever price savings you my get from a discount purchase. In my book, it's money well spent.

afishinado wrote:

I agree, no need to spend a lot of money on your first rod outfit.

Or third or fourth for that matter.

I know it took me a while to start to settle into what would work best for me. I happily fished a few Cabela's Three Forks rods picked up cheap in the old Bargain Cave. I would've been crazy, and wasting money, if I had upgraded sooner. I probably had less in four complete, but totally fishable, outfits than a lot of guys have in one rod.

Take your time, look for a deal (there's a lot out there this time of year), pick up a nice 9 foot 5 weight, and work on wearing it out while you learn. After that, you'll probably have half an idea if what you want next.

Good luck, and have fun!

Fly-Swatter wrote:

I agree with the Fly Shop suggestion if you have one nearby. You cannot get fly shop-quality knowledge from online or big box retailers. By purchasing equipment and material from a fly shop, you develop relationships and get service whose value will far exceed whatever price savings you my get from a discount purchase. In my book, it's money well spent.

Go in with a budget, yet open minded.

Be completely upfront about being new.

Don't succumb to pressure to buy more rod than you need. If you feel too much pressure, find another shop. Stick to your budget, and let them know that if they treat you fairly now, that you'll happily patronize their shop later, and that they'll have repeat business.

Don't be embarrassed that you are looking at the lower end of the rods on their rack. The worst rod in any halfway reputable fly shop will easily exceed what a new flyfisherman needs.

Anonymous wrote:

I will be fishing for panfish and trout in Minnesota and hopefully PNW eventually.

Obviously, most of us aren't from MN.

If you were local here, I'm sure somebody would offer to let you try one or two of their rods (I know I would) before you commit to buying anything.

Look for a local group (I'm not a Facebooker, but probably a good place to start). Explain your situation, and see if you can't find a couple local guys to meet up with. It might cost you a lunch, or a few beers, but you'll get valuable hands-on experience right from the beginning.

Yes, Minnesota, land of 5000 lakes! Ist place i would start is in Hayward. Hayward on the web if not close! You might want to catch those trout and use them live for Musky! Better yet, set your fly tying in that direction. You will always be able to trade Musky flies for trout flies and gear in Mn.

Once you get established, you will need Musky fly leaders. You can get the usual Rio, toothy critter or the Scientific Angler or the better one's from me! Not a whole lot of Musky fly fishing in Pa. Minnesota is a totally different story. Trout as Musky bait you say, giant goldfish are excellent too!

Best deal going right now.

St Croix Rio Santo rods on sale at 50% off.

$60 for 2 piece models, $65 for the 4 piece.

https://stcroixrods.com/products/rio-santo-fly

Hello Guest that started this post from Minnesota. I'm sorry but your account was accidentally deleted in a recent cleanup process. It was my fault and want to fix this. Please email and I'll get you set back up.

Dave - dkile@paflyfish.com

Here is where I went wrong....My first outfit was from Walmart....The reel backing was never set up properly and thus the front end of the rod was heavier than the butt. this made my arm tired very quickly and I almost gave up Fly fishing. Eventually I purchased a couple of St. Croix rods and got the reels set up properly and what a difference that made. I did go back to one of the Walmart outfits and got the reel set up properly and it became my secondary go to rod/reel.

At one of the Fly Fishing Shows I was introduced to Orvis Clear Water Rods and fell in love with them from that point on. Then one day while out fishing with my fiance I put the Orvis rod in her hands and took the St Croix rod she was using in order to put a new fly on.....Later that week I had to purchase one for her.

So, my words of advice is "don't go with the cheapest" "Make sure you have the backing put on professionally" "Buy a 5 or 6 weight Rod and Reel setup" and "stick with that for a few years".

Buying Flies can be just as challenging as purchasing a fly rod..I normally fish with a white dry fly as my indicator with a beadhead prince or copper john (nymphs) about 2 - 2 1/2 feet below it. Of course based upon depth of the water in order to determine how much distance between the dry fly and the nymph. The deeper the water the greater distance between the two presentations.

Back