Branch Cutter

shipnfish2006

shipnfish2006

I was out on the stream today and after missing a fish I found myself up in a tree. I tried like heck to get it down. I eventually got it, but after I got it another guy told me about a branch cutter that connects to your fly rod and allows you to snip the limb. The guy told me to look at a fly shop for them. I tried googling "fly rod tree cutter" and came up with nothing. Has anyone heard of this? If not, do you use something else when you get stuck in a tree?

Did you know this guy? Sounds like he may have been having some fun with ya. I've never heard of anything like that before, so I did a quick search of some of the bigger retailers of fly gear and came up empty. Did come across some wire cutters that have me wondering what I would need them for?

JH

No, I believe there is, or was such a thing made. I recall seeing it somewhere. I believe it attached to the end you your fly rod. I remember thinking that I would never put that thing on the tip top of MY rod and risk breaking a $500 fly rod to save a $.50 fly. I just dismissed it as another useless gizmo that FFishermen are willing to waste their money on.

Thanks afish. That makes sense, I guess I really don't want that thing on my rod anyway.

Hille's used to carry an oblect that claimed to do just this, but when I looked it over it was just a hooked blade at the end of 5 feet of nylon cord.
so I asked how it pin-pointed a fly in a branch and got it back. I was told: it isn't meant to get the fly back (eventhough this is how it is advertised), but it has the potential to - if you throw it accurately enough. However, it is meant to slip around your leader and cut the tippet just above the fly, so you don't waste tippet/leader.

It is like $5, but I'd rather buy fly tying materials (although not many) with that money and just replace the fly.

Reminds me of something this guy would have:

BatmanIntro.jpg

Or Inspector Gadget. Go, go gadget branch cutter!

Maybe I'd be best off just throwing my 20' branch cutter that I use for hunting in my truck. I'm sure that'd get a good laugh from everyone else on the stream.

One thing I have done, most likely ill-advisedly, is use my fly line to pull a slender branch closer to my outstretched hand. You can let out enough slack to get the line in your one hand, then use the line a half-foot or so from the tip to lasso a branch and pull it closer, so you can grab it with your hand. Then it is just a matter of bending the branch close enough to grab the fly. Also, when dealing with an out-of-reach snagged fly, analyze the branch structure-- quite often, by pulling on a branch that is within reach, you can move the branch with your tangled fly close enough to grab ahold. I'm sure I have more retrieval techniques in my arsenal, but I'll stop with those two. Anyhow, I don't want to give too many secrets away or I'd be lessening my chances of coming away with extra flies when I get my snags out.

Back