Braided body flies.

osprey

osprey

Anyone use or tie these? Anyone ever have any luck at the Erie tribs with these? Any links? Any?

http://www.flyanglers.org/tying/34-featured-fly/68-braided-body.html
Try this site
Also search the forum for woven flies

I always got them from Jonas at the Feathered hook. Braided golden stones. I never caught anything on them, but I always liked them as a point fly at big fishing creek. I always figured a big brown might grab that but not my standard walts worm, or PT soft hackle.

I have some in my steelhead box, but I mainly use my fur stonefly pattern with a crystal braid hot spot for steelies... where you want as much "bugginess" as possible. Thats the one drawback about braided flies, but they usually have a good silhouette for dirty water and are worth having imo.

Not sure about erie, but stoneflies are important in NY.

Lou M. ties braided flies for my shop, He does a steelhead fly that is very good to use. in alot of colors.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=9436&forum=5
osprey see this

Beadhead.....Now that's what i'm talkin bout!!!!!! NICE!!!

he copied lou m.'s patterns from what i hear.......or stole them....

I'm pretty sure the first time i ever saw this was in the late 70's by a woman dutch tyer Toril Korvu? sp? anyone else member her?

sandy
Believe it or not these are my ties ,I didn't steal them this time !!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

torril used croche needles to do hers, where as beadyheaded2's are not. there are at least 6 different weaving techniques today. I do some when I'm playin around during the year.

Sand.......i saw her tie flies at 7 springs along time ago , Has anyone ever sucessfully pattented a fly pattern? Has anyone ever tried?

connot patent a fly, at one time or the other they are taken from another design or pattern in history or some guy in fith and jibit was going it before and has proof....people have tried just can't do it..

never really liked stone flys just for the fact they are found under rocks and swim to shore to hatch , kinda always felt that made them worthless , but some people feel different. jmo

You can do a whole lot more than just stone flies with this trick , it makes a plausable cicada , and sandfly..........how can you "steal someones patterns if you can't pattent a fly? Experiment with the materials and the weave/braid , the possibilities are endless.

Beadhead...........do you use nymphforms for those ones in the pics?

Stonefly nymphs are active from dusk to dawn, when they come out to hunt other nymphs. yes they other nymphs. They get washed away a lot while hunting and trout know this. one reason the nymph is so productive.

Osprey----all i know is you can not patent a fly..people have tried for years and could not do it...

I tie lead on the sides ,or tie a piece of plastic fork tine to the hook to give it the shape

Thanks beadhead i've done the lead strips on the side thing , but the plastic fork tine is interesting , save some cash instead of buying nymphforms , i admire resourcefullness like that.

Sometimes I wrap the lead as I normally would and then flatten it with a pliers.

You can also wrap lead around hook and take a ****tail stick (round pointed toothpick)and break in half and tie on the sides

Back