boot traction

Biggie

Biggie

I finally found a boot traction add on that stays in place and gives the best traction while wading this old man has ever had. Here is the link to look at them. I have used them for two days on the little J and they work perfectly. They were fairly easy to put on and I left them on after use for the next day with not problems getting in and out of my boots.. https://hillsound.com/products/freesteps6-traction-device

Looks reasonable. Nicely priced if they r as good as you say.

They’re similar to what my wife uses to keep me track’N straight.

It's funny you should mention these.

I use a similar product on a pair of Muck Books I use when bank fishing a couple of local creeks. I use the crampons in the winter. I inadvertently discovered that they offered great traction IN the water when I waded in a few feet one day.

A couple of things I will mention:

Taking them on and off will eventually tear the silicone someplace, most likely at the chain connections.

They do loosen in use when the chains snag and they can be a bit tricky to use where mossy covered rocks or woody debris is present.

They WILL dull in time which makes them less effective and at times downright slippery.

A tight fit is better than a loose fit which makes them harder to put on. I found it WAY easier to put mine on the shoe BEFORE putting the shoe on my foot.

Finally, the Korkers Ice Cleats aren't as grippy, but I found them them MUCH easier to put on:

definitely something I may look into - my boots can hardly keep a stud in these days and I am getting tired of having to drill in new studs every other time I go to fish.

I don't mind losing them so much (I'm using kold kutters, so it hasn't been expensive to replace as needed from a 250 pack for like $15). However, it is a hassle to keep replacing them if I am wading slippery rivers.

jacob wrote:
definitely something I may look into - my boots can hardly keep a stud in these days and I am getting tired of having to drill in new studs every other time I go to fish.
They ain't cheap, but they won't fall out:

https://www.gripstuds.com/

The cold cutters worked ok for me for years, but these things are much better traction.

Bamboozle wrote:
jacob wrote:

They seem to be available on Ebay in smaller more economical quantities which put them on par with Simms and a few other fishing specific products. So if they stay put better than the Simms screws that's money well spent.

P.s. Just noticed the manufacturer sells them packaged for use in boots in reasonable quantity and pricing still competitive with the Simms screws. Probably will give these a shot for a pair of wet wading shoes I have.

I've used these for years and never had one come out.
Here is an article on them. Can't recommend enough.

https://troutbitten.com/2018/09/09/gear-review-grip-studs-are-the-real-deal/

If you contemplate Grip Studs, take the time to figure out which stud will work best for your application because they offer a LOT of options.

Keep in mind the BEST traction comes from studs that DON'T stick out too far which prevents the sole material from making contact with the stream bottom.

They will also send you samples of a few different studs if you aren't sure which one will work best.

Bamboozle wrote:
jacob wrote:

The 3000A are perfect for my Chota SLT's. This will be the first year in which I won't have to replace studs in a season of fishing. I'd gladly pay the premium for peace of mind and the convenience of not having to check and replace studs over a season of fishing. My guess is that these studs may outlast the felt.

I had Grip Studs (I forget which one) in a pair of my Chotas STL and the shoes wore out first. I removed and saved them when I threw the shoes out.

However, my go-to studs for a NEW pair of Chota STL's are the Orvis PosiGrip.

Great bite, especial when new, low profile and carbide which lasts a long time before dulling significantly. They also don't mutilate the stud holes like the Grip Studs do which is FINE when the shoes are old and had the studs replaced a bunch of times, but that's NOT what I want to do to a new pair of Chotas until necessary.

Bamboozle wrote:
I had Grip Studs (I forget which one) in a pair of my Chotas STL and the shoes wore out first. I removed and saved them when I threw the shoes out.

However, my go-to studs for a NEW pair of Chota STL's are the Orvis PosiGrip.

Great bite, especial when new, low profile and carbide which lasts a long time before dulling significantly. They also don't mutilate the stud holes like the Grip Studs do which is FINE when the shoes are old and had the studs replaced a bunch of times, but that's NOT what I want to do to a new pair of Chotas until necessary.

I installed the Orvis PosiGrip studs when my boots were new.

My wading boots finally gave out and I backed out the studs to reuse on another pair.

All were still intact and many were in good enough shape to reuse on another pair of boots.

The studs outlasted the boot.

I got some grip studs (3000B's) and put them on a set of Simms Riprap shoes that I have had terrible luck with regarding studs. Will try to remember to post a follow up once I get some use in with them.

I just installed the Orvis posi - grip studs on an older pair of felt soled wading boots.
And used them on a large, very rocky river the last 2 days.

They do provide great traction.
However, while hosing them off this morning, I noticed that quite a few of the prongs had already broken off.
Sure looks like they're not gonna last very long for me

Does anyone still make wading shoes with spiked felt soles?

I had those in the past and they had great traction. And they lasted a long time too.

Regular felt soles wear out quickly. But with the spikes, they lasted a long time.

But I haven't seen them around for a few years.

I recommend getting some paracord and tying those cleats to your boots.

I had a similar pair and lost one while wading in Yellow Creek FFO area. That was a real surprise cause they fit REAL snug.

But on the bright side, after I bought another pair I've got a spare!

Back