Boot Laces

laszlo

laszlo

As I was lacing up my wading boots the other day I thought, "Man these are lasting a long time". Normally the laces on a new pair of wading boots last six months before the outer sheath wears through, and then you're dealing with the core and that loose material for another few months. I replaced my laces with Duluth 72" Heavy Duty Laces and they have lasted for years and do not show any signs of wear.

Thanks for the tip. I have had similar success with Ironlace boot laces. I found them on Amazon, maybe, but they are American-made. They aren't the softest laces on cold wet hands however. They also sell paracord laces

That is a great tip, thanks. There's much frustration in a pair of boot laces that well, just … suck!

I'm about ready to replace a pair, thanks for the product leads.

I replace my laces with Chota elastic laces. They last forever and never need to be tied once installed.

I replace my laces with Chota elastic laces. They last forever and never need to be tied once installed.
Say what now?? Being too lazy to tie boots is one of the major reasons I avoid waders most of the year.

I'm assuming this doesn't work with boots that use the stupid lace hooks on the upper sections?

They might work. You pull the laces tight and lock them with the plastic spring loaded "knob". Having both hip replaced, tying shoes is impossible for me....Hell, I even have to use Skecher slip in sneakers!!!!~!

purchased a roll 3/16 ballistic cord from the hardware roll has 100yds and was I think $6.99.
I've used them on many pairs of work boots along with my wading boots. They out last shoe strings and I have more than a few pairs from 1 roll.

I haven’t had any undue problems with wading boot laces wearing out prematurely, however the laces on the last pair of Simms G4 Pro wading boots I bought earlier this year are too short. You’d think that when you buy a pair of boots that cost several hundred dollars that you shouldn’t be short changed on the laces.

I’ve bought numerous pairs of Simms wading boots over the years and these were the most I’ve ever spent on wading boots and the only pair I’ve ever bought with laces that are too short. 🙁 (Note to self: I really need to take the time to contact Simms and ask for longer laces.)

I had a pair of Patagonias for at least ten years . The boots were beat up but the laces never broke. I was surprised. I stlll could use them if I wanted to.

Good information. I've never had any laces wear out on me but if I do I will replace them with much stronger ones.

I haven’t had any undue problems with wading boot laces wearing out prematurely, however the laces on the last pair of Simms G4 Pro wading boots I bought earlier this year are too short. You’d think that when you buy a pair of boots that cost several hundred dollars that you shouldn’t be short changed on the laces.

I’ve bought numerous pairs of Simms wading boots over the years and these were the most I’ve ever spent on wading boots and the only pair I’ve ever bought with laces that are too short. 🙁 (Note to self: I really need to take the time to contact Simms and ask for longer laces.)
I contacted Simms today about my wading boot shoe laces that are too short to tie effectively. After trying several unsuccessful attempts to use their online customer service contact form (UGH!), I finally called them on the telephone.

No problem! After briefly explaining my issue with the shoe laces to the Simms Customer Service guy, he asked for my name and address, and while I stayed on the telephone, he packaged not 1, but 2 pair of laces (in case I need a second set at some point, he said) and placed the package in their outgoing mail to me. WOW! Is that good customer service, or what?

I’ve been a loyal Simms customer ever since they started making neoprene waders in a small facility down in Jackson Hole, and watched them grow and move to a larger building just north of I-90 in Bozeman, and now to their multistory headquarters in Four Corners west of Bozeman. I know there are some people who’ve had issues with their products and customer service in the past, but I can honestly say that in nearly 40 years of owning Simms products, and dealing with their customer service multiple times, I’ve never been treated unfairly. Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for, and it’s nice to expect, and get, excellent customer service.

NO customer service at Chota.
Purchased Chota's new Rough Ridge wading boots in 2022 for about $ 220.00. In less than a year, one boot lace frayed thru. I used Chota's online customer service email to explain my predicament including the boot size and when purchased. I asked if I could PURCHASE replacement laces, and I would like to PURCHASE two pair.

The reply from Chota was, "We do not have replacement laces for our lace-up wading boots. Go to a boot shop for replacement laces, You need 64" laces."

My laces are 72".

NO customer service. NO more of Linwood's dollars.

NO customer service at Chota.
Purchased Chota's new Rough Ridge wading boots in 2022 for about $ 220.00. In less than a year, one boot lace frayed thru. I used Chota's online customer service email to explain my predicament including the boot size and when purchased. I asked if I could PURCHASE replacement laces, and I would like to PURCHASE two pair.

The reply from Chota was, "We do not have replacement laces for our lace-up wading boots. Go to a boot shop for replacement laces, You need 64" laces."

My laces are 72".

NO customer service. NO more of Linwood's dollars.
Stick it to ‘em, Barry!! You’ve got options.

Chota Quicklace kit available at Little River Outfitters and Amazon.

For whatever reason factory laces do not last any length of time for me. Simms, Orvis, whatever, they all break quickly. The elastic Chota laces only lasted me a couple outings when I had them.

I now just replace everything with 425 size paracord. It's thinner than the more common 550 paracord so it is much easier to feed through the eyelets of boots. It lasts forever. It's also cheap. This is one of those things where you have to wonder what the hell they are thinking when they put crummy laces on boots.

FWIW, at one point the Simms "replacement" laces where a totally different lace than what their boots came with from the factory. They were a huge upgrade over the factory laces.

Same place every time , 3 or 4 different pair of boots. Like’em but laces are weak. Time for new laces myself.

Attachments

• IMG_7100.jpeg
    IMG_7100.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 25
I contacted Simms today about my wading boot shoe laces that are too short to tie effectively. After trying several unsuccessful attempts to use their online customer service contact form (UGH!), I finally called them on the telephone.

No problem! After briefly explaining my issue with the shoe laces to the Simms Customer Service guy, he asked for my name and address, and while I stayed on the telephone, he packaged not 1, but 2 pair of laces (in case I need a second set at some point, he said) and placed the package in their outgoing mail to me. WOW! Is that good customer service, or what?

I’ve been a loyal Simms customer ever since they started making neoprene waders in a small facility down in Jackson Hole, and watched them grow and move to a larger building just north of I-90 in Bozeman, and now to their multistory headquarters in Four Corners west of Bozeman. I know there are some people who’ve had issues with their products and customer service in the past, but I can honestly say that in nearly 40 years of owning Simms products, and dealing with their customer service multiple times, I’ve never been treated unfairly. Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for, and it’s nice to expect, and get, excellent customer service.
Just an update on the Simms laces.

I got the 2 new pair of laces in the mail today that the Simm’s guy mailed to me Tuesday afternoon. 3 days from Bozeman to SE PA is pretty darn good for the USPS, and of course super good service from SIMMS.

They sent me 2 different types of laces. One pair is similar to what originally came on the boots, and the other is lace is thicker and beefier. The only negative is that both pair of laces are 75-76” long, which is the same length that were originally on the boot, which I believe were too short. They are the longest laces that Simms has according to the customer service guy.

However, I did notice that both pair of laces are stretchable, up the about 80” +/-. so, I’ve tightened the laces on the lower part of the boot by stretching them as much as I can, thereby giving me more length to tie the boots at the top… hopefully. I hope to try them out next week.

Say what now?? Being too lazy to tie boots is one of the major reasons I avoid waders most of the year.

I'm assuming this doesn't work with boots that use the stupid lace hooks on the upper sections?

They might work. You pull the laces tight and lock them with the plastic spring loaded "knob". Having both hip replaced, tying shoes is impossible for me....Hell, I even have to use Skecher slip in sneakers!!!!~!

In regard to Chota "shock cord" laces, they will work fine on boots with lace hooks because the unfortunately discontinued Chota STL Plus shoes that I love, have hooks.

That being said, I've used Chota STL Plus wading shoes for a LONG time but there are MUCH better shock cord/lace options than what Chota peddles/peddled. Chota laces are around 2.0 - 2.5 mm in diameter. Look for something around 3.0 -3.5 mm in diameter and you will have a stronger/longer lasting lace.

In regards to the little cord lock and end piece the Chota laces come/came with, there are other options out there that work equally as well. If you need sources, PM me...

Also, one thing I learned after a few decades of using shock cord laces; pull them tight S-L-O-W-L-Y!!!

Pulling hard too quickly can cause the outer covering fabric to tear, especially if it is older and possibly dry rotted. If it tears, it exposes the inner Latex "stretchy" core.

Finally...

I currently HATE Chota... :mad:

Good luck with laces!!

Back