Boot dryer suggestion

HopBack

HopBack

I just bought some new wading boots and wanted to get some suggestion on boot dryers. The main purpose of this is to provide better care for my wading boots and hopefully increase the longevity of the boots. In the past I would just throw my wet boots in the garage or out in the yard in the sun.

I don’t think I have ever had boots fully dry before which isn’t a problem but I feel like it causes The boots to crack and materials to wear prematurely.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks!

Just hang them up to dry in air... I use an ancient pair of Hardy boot hangers hung from my basement ceiling to dry out my wading shoes.

If they stay wet/damp that shouldn't be a problem...

FWIW - The things that can cause leather or synthetic materials to prematurely crack/fail are HEAT (so don't buy boot dryers with heaters), detergents (so avoid washing in Dawn or other harsh stuff) and sunlight (so don't dry them in the sun).

However, the easiest way to get one pair of boots to fully dry and to get more life from a pair of wading boots is to buy ANOTHER pair and rotate them... ;)

SERIOUSLY...

Good luck!!

Reactions: CRB
I still have Peet Boot dryers that I used a long time ago when I wore boot foot waders (some were neoprene) that weren’t easily dried by turning them inside out. Peet Boot dryers have been around for years and work fine. But I haven’t used mine for years now that I’m using stocking foot waders that can be turned inside out and air dry quickly.

As far as using a boot dryer to dry wading boots, I’d rather keep them wet since they are easier to put on, and keeping them wet for an extended time won’t hurt them. I‘ve worn wading boots every day for a month straight and they never dried during that time. Otherwise, I just sit them outside and air dry them.

I’ve been wearing Simms wading boots ( like G3, G4) for a lot of years now and have never had any issues where I felt that keeping them wet overnight caused them to wear out prematurely. That might not have been the case with some of the wading boots I had 20+ years ago, and I can’t speak to other brands of wading boots on the market today.

Last edited:
Put scrunched up newspaper inside the boots before you put them in the sun.

After a good rinse with a hose, I hang both my waders and boots at a nice sunny spot on the end of my porch for a day.
Works for me

I have this idea to take the handle from a broken snow shovel and mount to a piece of wood with pipe flanges or something. Boots would hang perfect on snow shovel handles.

For now i just rinse out with a hose and dry in the sun/garage/basement, etc

not sure what they are made of, but cycles of wetting and faster drying probably will be worse than keeping them damp. May be your goal is to dry for invasives?

not sure what they are made of, but cycles of wetting and faster drying probably will be worse than keeping them damp. May be your goal is to dry for invasives?
No, I know that wouldn’t kill invasives. Makes sense about the drying cycles, thanks.

I still have Peet Boot dryers that I used a long time ago when I wore boot foot waders (some were neoprene) that weren’t easily dried by turning them inside out. Peet Boot dryers have been around for years and work fine. But I haven’t used mine for years now that I’m using stocking foot waders that can be turned inside out and air dry quickly.

As far as using a boot dryer to dry wading boots, I’d rather keep them wet since they are easier to put on, and keeping them wet for an extended time won’t hurt them. I‘ve worn wading boots every day for a month straight and they never dried during that time. Otherwise, I just sit them outside and air dry them.

I’ve been wearing Simms wading boots ( like G3, G4) for a lot of years now and have never had any issues where I felt that keeping them wet overnight caused them to wear out prematurely. That might not have been the case with some of the wading boots I had 20+ years ago, and I can’t speak to other brands of wading boots on the market today.
Dear mt_flyfisher,

I'm with you 100% on this. Unlike the old days when wading boots were made by Weinbrenner and Ranger and stayed the same size even if left out in the Mojave desert for a month, today's mostly synthetic material wading boots are a whole other story.

I have synthetic LL Bean, Chota, and Korkers wading boots now. When they are dry trying to stuff my 12EEEE's into them is a herculean task. I often pre-soak them with a hose to make the job easier, but mostly I just use the $ 30.00 NIB Hodgeman Canvas studded felt wading boots I found on Ebay a couple of years ago. They are another shoe that simply fits, as they should!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Don't overthink it. I just hang mine upside down in the garage until next use. It hasn't seemed to matter whether they are dry by the next trip or not. After all, they are meant to get wet. And dry out. And get wet again.

No, I know that wouldn’t kill invasives.

Recommendations of Montana‘s Fish Wildlife and Parks in relation to invsives:

ANGLERS​

• CLEAN off plants, animals, and mud from gear and equipment including waders, footwear, ropes, anchors, bait traps, dip nets, downrigger cables, fishing lines, and field gear before leaving water access. Scrub off any visible material on footwear with a stiff brush.
  • DRAIN water from waders, watercraft, motor, bilge, bladder tanks, livewell and portable bait containers before leaving water access. Replace with spring or dechlorinated tap water when keeping live bait before leaving water access.
  • DRY everything five days or more when moving between waters to kill small species not easily seen OR wipe with a towel before reuse.
  • DISPOSE of unwanted bait, fish parts, and packing materials, in the trash; do not dump them in the water or on land.
  • The use non-felt soled boots is preferred to further reduce the risk of spreading aquatic invasive species.

I started dropping these in my boots during the winter when I can't dry mine outside in the shade. Seems to cut the drying time down dramatically.

Attachments

• 20240310_184930.jpg
    20240310_184930.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 33
This works on boot foot chest waders, but uncertain regarding wading boots….when needing to do a quick internal drying of wader after falling in and in prep for next day, we would shove a vacuum cleaner hose with nozzle attachment down the boot and turn on the vac. Works well and it’s quick. If it sucks the boot fast to the end of the nozzle, place a popsicle stick or pencil sideways in the boot to keep the boot from collapsing onto the nozzle.

many recommend soaking dry boots before putting them on. It softens them and reduces wear on the booties. Easier to tie them snug. If mine aren't wet, I soak before going out. The thought of walking a good distance with hard boots doesn't appeal to me, which I often do before getting to the water.

Reactions: CRB
many recommend soaking dry boots before putting them on. It softens them and reduces wear on the booties. Easier to tie them snug. If mine aren't wet, I soak before going out. The thought of walking a good distance with hard boots doesn't appeal to me, which I often do before getting to the water.
That's fascinating! Going to give that a try.

I started dropping these in my boots during the winter when I can't dry mine outside in the shade. Seems to cut the drying time down dramatically.
Thanks Ryan

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to dry wading boots, letting them out in direct sunlight definitely shortens their life. I do try to get the inside of my waders dry each trip. Hanging upside down seems to do a good job, if you fall in or sweated heavily turn the waders inside out and by a fan.

If concerned about invasive, stick your waders in boots in a freezer over night.

Best method I’ve found.

I use a towel on the floor, an upside down milk crate in the center of the spread out towel and a $20 Walmart box fan on high slightly leaned against the crate. Turn the boots on their side heel to heel and let the air blow in the ankle openings. Flip once after an hour or two. I can fish in the morning, dry them over lunch and put on dry boots again for an afternoon/evening fish. Get home and I leave them on overnight. Rinse repeat. I do this sometimes everyday for weeks on end. Waders inside out on the back of a chair behind the crate and I can knock out the sweat build up at the same time. Cheap, easy and works well. Towel catches drips and dirt. Crate promotes airflow. No mess. So if you had to, you can do it in a living room or bed room.

Back