books for entomology

Steelhead_JESUS

Steelhead_JESUS

i just had my acl and meniscus repaired so i’m looking for books that pertain more to the bugs we focus on for fly fishing.. anyone have suggestions on a book for that?

Bug Water -Arlen Thomason and Nymphs Volume 1 Mayflies-Ernest Schweibert have helped me . This winter Ill read Volume 2 Stoneflies and Caddis.

"The Bug Book" A fly fisher's guide to trout stream insects.
Nice litlle book

Mayflies by Ted Fauceglia. Looks like a coffee table book because of the great photos, but his write-ups of each of 17 PA mayflies are excellent, better than in most entomologies.

(I have long wished Fauceglia would do another book on downwing flies, like caddisses and stoneflies.)

Also, Marinaro's A Modern Dry Fly Code is a bug book for limestone waters with great anecdotes. It is a great read.

The Weamer/Meck handbook for PA hatches is a helpful book, too.

Here's a few:

"Hatches" or "Hatches II," by Al Caucci Al & Bob Nastasi​
"Instant Mayfly Identification Guide." by Al Caucci Al & Bob Nastasi​
"Nymphs" by Ernest Schweibert​
"Dave Whitlock's Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods," by Dave Whitlock​
"Caddisfiles" by Gary LaFontaine​
"Stoneflies for the Angler" by Eric Leiser & Robert H. Boyle​
"Mayflies of Michigan Trout Streams" by Justin W. & Fannie A. Leonard​

Keep in mind many of the binomials or Latin names for the bugs in these books have changed over they years but the bugs haven't.

Good reading and good luck with the ACI and meniscus!

I have two copies of Ernest Schwiebert’s 1973 book “Nymphs”. It has mayfly, caddis flies and stone flies. It has illustrations with recipes for the flies. I have 1977 second printings that I bought close to thirty years ago from a fly fishing book seller. The first copy I received was a misprint. A few chapters were omitted and others printed twice. The seller sent me an accurate second copy for free. I think I paid $20. I believe that I saw that the book has been reprinted in two(?) volumes at around $65 each.

I have two copies of Ernest Schwiebert’s 1973 book “Nymphs”. It has mayfly, caddis flies and stone flies. It has illustrations with recipes for the flies. I have 1977 second printings that I bought close to thirty years ago from a fly fishing book seller. The first copy I received was a misprint. A few chapters were omitted and others printed twice. The seller sent me an accurate second copy for free. I think I paid $20. I believe that I saw that the book has been reprinted in two(?) volumes at around $65 each.
Yep. Volume 1 is mayflies , volume 2 caddis and stones. I read volume 1 and got a lot out of it. Understanding the bugs and their preferences for types of water has put me on some good fishing .

thank you everyone for the info.. too much good stuff to pick from

I gave away most of my entomology books when I moved to central PA. I kept Meck, "Patterns, Hatches, Tactics and Trout" and Gonzalez, "Fly Fishing Pressured Warers."

The Troutnut forum is loaded with excellent photos and information. That forum by itself is frankly sufficient. For a very serious blog on nymphs with professional photography see Aquatic Insects of Central Virginia. Both of these see sparse activity now, but the archive of info remains.

Back