Book Review: Fly Fishing Evolution by George Daniel

Screenshot 2023 11 12 at 104314PM
"Fly Fishing Evolution" by George Daniel is an extensive guide for intermediate and advanced anglers, delving into the intricacies of nymphing, dry fly, and streamer tactics. George Daniel, the Director of the Joe Humphreys Fly Fishing Program at Pennsylvania State University, is a highly regarded figure in the fly fishing community and is known for his exceptional angling skills. He is one of the most passionate and exceptional leaders in the sport of fly fishing today. His knowledge and drive to educate anglers have been his focus for over twenty years. His new book is another reflection of that dedication he shares with anglers.

The book is structured into three main parts, each dedicated to a specific fishing technique, offering insights into gear, patterns, tactics, and presentations. The general flow of the book is easy to read and provides thoughtful insight with clear explanations. Specific illustrations and photographs help enhance the presentation. This colorful approach adds to the engagement of the book.

The three main parts cover:

• Nymphing: Explores nymphing tools, patterns, and key concepts, including suspension tactics and tightline/Euro tactics.
  • Dry Fly: Covers tools, patterns, and the art of casting and presenting dry flies.
  • Streamers: Discusses streamer tools, patterns, and various presentation techniques.
There are new topics and concepts to be explored for any angler. I found so many familiar ideas enhanced with his approach. For the intermediate and advanced angler, many of us get set in our ways; the book offers plenty of ideas on how to expand your capabilities.

What I Liked:
The book's strength lies in its organization, where George breaks down complex tactics into simple, rudimentary steps without losing the depth required for intermediate and advanced anglers. The emphasis on fundamentals and the encouragement to take control of one's fly-fishing journey make it a refreshing and empowering guide. His wealth of experience, combined with insights from other seasoned anglers, is evident in the practical advice provided for common issues faced by fly fishers.

In talking with George about his book, he shared, “I believe the best fly-fishing information teaches you how to think rather than telling you what to do." This quote encapsulates the essence of the book, emphasizing the importance of cultivating a thoughtful and adaptable approach to fly fishing.
Screenshot 2023 11 12 at 104950PM

In conclusion, "Fly Fishing Evolution" is a must-read for anglers looking to deepen their understanding of nymphing, dry fly, and streamer tactics. George Daniel's expertise, combined with a thoughtful and empowering approach, makes this book a valuable addition to any angler's library.

Fly Fishing Evolution: Advanced Strategies for Dry Fly, Nymph, and Streamer Fishing by George Daniel - hardcover version has just been published and is available now on Amazon for $49.95

Last edited:
DaveKile
Is this book heavy on mono rig content?
I would say that George has a preference for mono rigs in his approach, so there are many pages that discuss those setups. But it is not exclusively used as his topic for the book.

dudemanspecial
I would say that George has a preference for mono rigs in his approach, so there are many pages that discuss those setups. But it is not exclusively used as his topic for the book.
Thanks. I enjoy what George has given to the FF community, he is one of my favorite FF personalities. I definitely do not need to hear / any more information about mono rigs in my lifetime.

Back