Bobbins

J

JohnPowers

I have a standard arsenal of pretty common bobbins. I like the idea of tension adjustment. They are pricey. Worth trying? Recommendations?

I got one fairly recently. I got the Rite Bobbin (http://ritebobbin.com). IMO they are good to have, but unless you buy a few of them they get kind of annoying, having to unscrew each time you use a different thread. They're useful, but definitely not necessary and it won't make much of a difference in your tying. Just my $0.2. YMMV

nice to try yes worth the cost um ... not really though i do like how the rite's fit so it has that going . honestly though my favorite bobbin and the ones loaded with 6/0 olive and black danville which are my default threads are chase bobbins . really i would like pick a few more up

standard tiemco ceramic bobbin holder user for 25+ years without a problem

tension adjustment already built in

if it aint broke why fix it

I just use my hand as the tension adjustment. If its super loose, ill wrap the thread around one of the legs once, to tighten up.

nfrechet wrote:
standard tiemco ceramic bobbin holder user for 25+ years without a problem

tension adjustment already built in

if it aint broke why fix it
Agreed, too tight pull legs apart. Too lose, pull them the other way. Real easy, and much cheaper.

Never thought I'd spend $50 on a bobbin, but after using the Petitjean TT bobbin, I'd buy another immediately if I lost mine.

I've got literally dozens of bobbins, including my previous favorite Tiemco bobbin - they all sit empty in my extra tool bin now.

The TT bobbin is EASILY my favorite tying tool.

Never had one never will. Cheap Indian made ceramic bobbins for under five dollars is all I have. Fortunately I have a thumb on each hand for quick tension adjustments.

Consensus here looks against, and I believe it really depends on what you're tying. The point of these bobbins is for tension control, which a standard bobbin typically gives, especially for the majority of trout flies.

When integrating in many saltwater and steelhead/salmon patterns, things change a little and the tension bobbins are nice.

Are they worth the money? Like everything else, they are an additional tool to help make tying easier. Lee Wulff never used a vise, and the Dette's (of NY) didn't use bobbins. The answer is a personal one, and depends on your tying.

Brownie gave great feedback in that having just one can be annoying unless it is spooled with the thread most consistently used.

I have a bunch of these, and currently am using the Stonfo Elite bobbins. I have around eight loaded with my most used threads, and love the design. There is only one "leg," which some are opposed to, but it suits my style perfectly (hence my recommendation).

John, if you decide to purchase one, be sure to place a review on here to help others.

TC

I still use my original Griffin ceramic bobbins. The Rite would be pretty neat to try though. If you do buy one like tctrout says it would be nice to see a review from you about the product.

I have 2 Rite bobbins. I really like them. It can be annoying to change the thread but most of the time I am tieing at least 6 or so of a pattern so its not a big deal. My initial Dr Slick ceramic bobbin would have the thread wrap around the tip of the ceramic insert and eventually break. Whether this is a common problem or user error I couldn't tell you.

Overall I think they are worth the investment. In my opinion they are more comfortable and the thread holder is fairly neat. You can also tie half hitches using them although it is no easier or harder than with your fingers.

Its like a $15 dollar pair of hemostats, they are nice but not necessary....entirely up to the individual.

I have one that can be tension adjusted. I do like it. I think the others have posted good points too. The idea of removing the screw to change thread is well taken. I use my tension adjusting bobbin when I am tying a dozen or more of some bug.

Back