Bobbins

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

Whats the best bobbin, ceramic, for under 20 bucks?

Lots of options. Griffin, Dr Slick, Tiemco....

All personal preference. My favorite in that $20 range is the Tiemco. It's harder to find a bad ceramic bobbin than it is to find a good one. Even the cheapies are pretty good.

i usually use griffin ceramic bobbin holders when i have fine thread.never had any problem with them

being that your bobbin (and vise) are used in every single fly...

Find one that works, then worry about price
different bobbins work better for different applications
here are the 3 best imo

Rite bobbin half hitch mag
http://www.ritebobbin.com/bobbin-models.html
great for larger threads for larger streamers when you will use the same thread for entire fly

C&F
http://www.candfdesign.com/product/127513/6-61606/_/Vise_Bobbin_Holder%2C_Standard-size
Amazing bobbin... constant tension
great for fine threads and small flies

MP
http://www.petitjean.com/shop/en/tying-accessories/mp-tt-bobbin.html
you can thread with your eyes closed.. easy to switch thread
you can build and spin dubbing loops on the bobbin
$$$ but worth the price if you use dubbing loops

I've wondered about the Petitean bobbin but the price always stopped me from getting one. How long have you been using one? Besides dubbing loops are there any other major advantages to that one?

I'm really pleased with the montana fly co's bobbins. I have the brown trout and the rainbow on backorder.

http://www.montanafly.com/search/resultadv.php?keywords=bobbin

I found them from around 12 bucks

lv2nymph wrote:
I've wondered about the Petitean bobbin but the price always stopped me from getting one. How long have you been using one? Besides dubbing loops are there any other major advantages to that one?

for about 2yrs
Its really light in hand and a great bobbin without consideration of the extra features...

However it is not a fine tip (like the C&F)
i use the C&F for trout dries and nymphs

I use alot of dubbing loops in my steelhead flies and streamers... so its worth the price and time savings for me
(a good dubbing spiner/twister is $$)

the easy threading feature is pretty cool and really makes switching thread insanely easy

Alright, thanks.

I have 10 Griffins and have never had a problem.

Not saying a nicer bobbin isn't worth it though.

That's a pretty good asessment of the MP bobbin, Ramcatt. One thing not mentioned is the ability to use different size thread spools, and have perfect tension of your choosing.

This bobbin will allow you to use even the tiny Pearsalls spools, and all you have to do is slide the thread tension spring to adjust it for your desired tension. Once adjusted, it doesn't move unless you want to change the setting.

At fifty bucks, yeah, it's pricey. But you really only need one to cover just about any tying situation. I've got dozens of other bobbins that sit empty since I started using my MP bobbin. The only thing I use my previous favorite Tiemco bobbin for is for the Danville Spiderweb I use to tie off parachute patterns on the post.

Great tool - I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I lost mine.

I love my tiemcos! I have/use about 10 bobbins. Like someone above said its hard to find a bad ceramic. A majority of mine are cheap 8-10 dollar ceramic insert bobbins. I have 3 tiemco full ceramic and by far they are my favorite. I also picked up a CF. I didn't pay full price for it and I'm glad! I really hate the thing! It has awesome balance and feels great in my hand. The foam insert does keep tension on the thread but even after squeezing the ends together the bobbin holds the spool looser then any other bobbin i have ever used hands down. I understand why ppl like them for small flies. You wont break the thread off and there is no way ya can pull the hook out of the vise or break the hook if ya have an accidental foul wrap. It is really a shame because the CF is really a nice tool. I will be picking up a RITE soon. I will use that for torquing down on big streamers and salt flies with either mono of usp200. I believe that RITE has your the best spool holding power and one of the strongest necks out of all the bobbins. Good luck with choosing your tools.

I Have a collection of Chase Bobbins that I really enjoy, been using them forever, but also have a couple of tiemcos for my smaller spools and also have a couple of griffins. But I also seem to gravitate toward the Chase, they fit well in my palm.

I may have to check out the chase myself.

I saw the Chase online for sale for like $6.00. I still have my first Chase bobbin. Just for clarification the Chase is not ceramic, but I think it might be brass.

I like my Rite Bobbins as well. Good stuff.

Another vote for the Tiemco bobbins here. I prefer the curved model.

Back