bobbin

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

I've just started using a new bobbin that wasn't entirely expensive... I've noticed it does not feed thread well, and I have to put what seems to be too much force to get thread out. Is my bobbin junk? Do I just need to break it in?

I've heard that ceramic bobbins feed easier... folklore?

If your bobbin looks like the one below, try bending out the arms that hold the thread spool SLIGHTLY to decrease the tension on the spool. Keep bending out until it feels right. HTH.

Attachments

• bobbin.jpg
    bobbin.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
afish is right.

Ceremic bobbins just keep the thread from tearing.

Trick #2 (actually, #1 for me before I bend) is nose grease.

I actually prefer mine to be pretty tight. I let thread out by spinning the spool with my fingers. I think it allows me to get as much tension as I want with my thread on my fly. My bobbin is tight enough to pull out some 210 thread, but the 70 is too fragile and I do it as above.

I like my bobbins to hold the spools fairly tight. If I do need to put more tension on it, I palm the bobbin like you would on the spool of a clicker reel to increase the tension. BTW, Gary nose his stuff! :lol:

gfen wrote:
Trick #2 (actually, #1 for me before I bend) is nose grease.

Gary,

sorry for the pain, but could you elaborate please. This is what happens when friends who tie spoil you for a few years.

I'm guessing he means use the oil from the side of your nose to lubricate the parts of the bobbin that touch the spool of thread.

MKern wrote:
I'm guessing he means use the oil from the side of your nose to lubricate the parts of the bobbin that touch the spool of thread.

Yeah, but that just works if you don't wash your face for a couple of days..... :-o

Man, how can any male not know about the powers of nose grease?

There's something extra greezy 'bout the stuff from the pores where your nostrils meet your cheeks. There's science involved, and I don't know or care enough to tell you, but nose grease is the stuff.

Back