Boating Regulations on Tulpehocken Creek

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

I did some research on what kind of watercrafts you can take on certain waters, but never saw anything about the Tully. I've seen kayaks before, up by the dam. Of course I'm not bringing a 16' bass tracker up there, just wondering about other boats allowed?

I've had kayaks go past me before.

Not sure why you'd want to, though, at least in terms of benefitting the fishing. There's nowhere on the stream that's very far from an access by foot. And a freakin bike trail pretty much runs the length of it, aside from a short section on the upper end where it cuts up over.

If you're kayaking for fun, then, that's a different story...

Yo Wildbro

The Tully falls under some general boating regs, based on some action I saw by a WCO. I've often seen yakers and canoers enjoying the float, but this time there was a family in several boats coming through Water Street where the stairs goes down to the stream from the USGS station. None of them were wearing life preservers.

The WCO stopped the group and had the father go to his car to get his preservers, bring them back and get them on the family. I don't know if he cited them, but the whole incident went off amicably. I'm sure it made an impression on the kiddies.

les, when did that happen? Glad the WCO was watching out for the kids.
I don't think I ever ran into a WCO there, but have had the flotillas go by.

I've seen the same thing happen as lestrout. Take life preservers!!

So something like a pontoon to either drift for fun, or go spot to spot for fishing is fine, as long as I have a life jacket?

i recommend you pick up the boater rules and regs book by the PFBC.

Yeah check out those boater regs. Pretty cool stuff, I pretty much like to float my kayak down anything with more than 4 inches of water ha.

Launch permits should be had though, I mean it's like 15 bucks a year. And don't quote me on it but I think up until april every boater needs a pfd(not in the boat but on your back), and all summer any child under 12? I think has to wear one at all times. In the warmer months adults can have them in the boat but not actively wearing them. Happy paddling.

Back