Boat trailer

J

JohnPowers

I helped a friend build a 14 foot guide boat. We use it on the Delaware. It's the standard rockered hull. Right Now he's using a utility trailer and it's a hull grinding chore. Anyone know of a trailer for a guide boat available locally or just any helpful info on mods to a utility trailer? It's not a lightweight. Thanks

I have a crappy old boat with a sturdy trailer for sale if you are interested. You could toss the boat and the trailer is good to go.

whats wrong with the boat, and what is it made of.

It's fiberglass and as far as I know it floats. I had to replace the winch hook on the front and the seats are aftermarket and ugly. I also don't have a title for either the boat or the trailer.

I'm not versed on these things but how hard is it to get a title for said things?

From what I hear it isn't difficult, It is time consuming and you have to play the run around game though. I haven't done it yet because the motor doesn't run and there isn't a point to get the tags if i cant use it right away. Btw, sorry for hijacking the thread.

for the trailer you have to take pics and send them to harrisburg along with your application for title. or do a search for the original and get a copy.

I know a guy that bought a boat from a private owner near Raystown. Sumpthin was wrong with the title and it took him from April til August to get it straightened out with the PF&BC.

I'd call a licensing service and explain it to them and take their advice, they do this stuff all the time.

Maurice wrote:
I know a guy that bought a boat from a private owner near Raystown. Sumpthin was wrong with the title and it took him from April til August to get it straightened out with the PF&BC.

I'd call a licensing service and explain it to them and take their advice, they do this stuff all the time.

I am not sure about the terms here in PA ie I don't know what a licensing agent is, but if its one of these privately owned title shop people DO NOT trust their opinions. Go straight to the source. I had a boat and trailer take two years to get right. It was awful. They finally said that the trailer did not exist and titled it as a newly built one. I laughed.

why would the pf&bc hold a title, all you do is register with them for a sticker not a title.

Does the DMV hold the title maybe? I know that's what happens here in NY.

for boats the owner holds title all you are doing is getting a sticker to allow you on pa water ways. a trailer is the same if the bank doesn't hold note on it you keep the title and just get a registration, just like your car. I used to do a lot of titles when i was in the RV business. And did a few titles for rebuilt hot rods, 4 x 4 vans, trailers, etc.

Dear John,

Watch Craigslist in your area for a used trailer if you don't want to go new.

A new trailer for a 14' boat will run about $ 700 - 800.00 depending on whether you want fenders and a tongue jack.

Lots of times boat owners don't spend the money for the proper trailer and wind up damaging a boat all for a couple of bucks. Small utility trailers often have 8 inch tires and they rotate a whole lot more per mile than 12 or 13 inch tires.

Put the right carriage under that drift boat and you will have miles and miles of trouble free trailering and fishing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

When you get a sticker from the PF&BC it is registered to a title # No?

The PF&BC didn't have the title. They just wouldn't register a sticker/number to the boat until the title was straightened out.

Back