Boat ramp in Emlenton PA?

M

Maxdog

I'm looking to float the Allegheny River from Kennerdell to Emlenton in my drift boat. I know there is a private ramp in Kennerdell. I've got a map that shows a boat launch in Emlenton but I've also been told there isn't a ramp in Emlenton. Can anyone shed some light? I do need a ramp that I can back a trailer down. Thanks

Middle Allegheny Water Trails Map shows an access right in Emlenton. I'd check it out more thoroughly if I were you before committing, but it appears to be there.

https://pfbc.pa.gov/watertrails/alleg/alleg_map5.htm

If it isn't what you are looking for, I'd also research whether there are launches/ramps in Foxburg and Parker, both of which are nearby and might work for you. I think, if memory serves, there are access in at least one if not both of these towns.

RLeep2. That's the map I was looking at. I was was told by someone who launches their jet boat out of Kennerdell that there wasn't a ramp in Emlenton. Parker has a launch. Thanks for the info.

I checked it out and others have written there is a boat launch area just under the bridge on the east bank right in Emlenton. They say it is open to the public. If you check out the satellite Google map you will see it.

Thanks afishinado! That's right where the watertrails map has it. Appreciate the help.

Maxdog wrote:
Thanks afishinado! That's right where the watertrails map has it. Appreciate the help.

Glad I can help. If that launch isn't good enough for your boat and trailer, than you can always go downstream to the Parker launch.

Have a good trip and post a report.

I've been at the Emlenton launch before, but haven't launched there. I'd have no qualms at all about launching or trailering my drift boat there. It's right under the bridge into town.

But, Emlenton to Parker is at least another full day in the boat to get to Parker, FYI.

D-nymph wrote:

But, Emlenton to Parker is at least another full day in the boat to get to Parker, FYI.

Huh?

I've done it numerous times in a canoe and kayak, lazily fishing along the way.

I'm guessing it's no more than 6-8 river miles between the two.

It would be hard to have that take a full day, even fishing really slow along the way.

Coldbore, you're basing that off of canoeing & not a drift boat, right? Canoes & especially kayaks are twice as fast as drift boats. Even when lazily fishing. The two types of boats do not really compare. The river is also really slow moving there. It's not just some add on short distance that won't take but an hour, 6-8 miles of slow moving water is quite a poke in a drift boat. I figured it was more like 10 miles, but you're right, it's 7-ish, Parker is closer to Foxburg than I remember, it's not a full day, but it's also not a short distance.

If you don't believe me? That's ok. I'm trying to help the guy out so that he doesn't get stuck in a much farther float than he was anticipating, which makes for a crappy time for everyone.

" I'm trying to help the guy out so that he doesn't get stuck in a much farther float than he was anticipating, which makes for a crappy time for everyone.

D-nymph good advise. I've been there done that on taking drift time advise from a kayak fisherman. Depending if there is a head wind making any time in a drift boat is all work. What goes from being a relaxing event turns into a full marathon.

Just an FYI I think the ramp in Parker is damaged, I believe you could still get a trailer in the water there but I’m not sure of the condition of the ramp I have only used my kayak there...the ramp is where the old canoe rental use to be and they are out of businesses...we use to stop at the ramp in emlemton to refill the cooler with beer and ice

Mwheaps32 wrote:
" I'm trying to help the guy out so that he doesn't get stuck in a much farther float than he was anticipating, which makes for a crappy time for everyone.

D-nymph good advise. I've been there done that on taking drift time advise from a kayak fisherman. Depending if there is a head wind making any time in a drift boat is all work. What goes from being a relaxing event turns into a full marathon.

So have I. The last time, and I do mean the last time I'll ever take that kind of advice from a kayaker/canoer instead of using my own experience & guessing was when one told me a stretch of creek was "about 4 hours" it was a full 10 hours.

D-nymph wrote:

The last time, and I do mean the last time I'll ever take that kind of advice from a kayaker/canoer instead of using my own experience & guessing was when one told me a stretch of creek was "about 4 hours" it was a full 10 hours.

That's why I used distance, and not time.

You are right, I've never done it in a drift boat. While I can see how it would be slower, I wouldn't have thought it was a full days worth in anything, I may well be wrong.

I was basing my guesstimate on my slow fishing, dropping an anchor to spend more time in the good spots, not just paddling or even just drifting nonstop with the current to make better progress.

I wasn't calling you a liar, just commenting that I thought a full day was overly generous timewise. Again, I could be wrong.

I guess the only way to settle this is to take a canoe and a drift boat, have a race, and see who can come in last. :-D ;-)

Thanks for the help guys. D-nymph I'm with you man. Drift boats and canoe/kayaks are to different animals. Nothing like pushing your boat down a half mile stretch frog water with an upstream wind as the canoes slide by you.

Never leave home without a trolling motor on a wide river! Upstream wind is no fun. That said, depending on the type of fishing you do a long day could be 5 miles or a short day could be 10.

Back