Boat for fly fishing the Chesapeake Bay?

Deuterium

Deuterium

I have just started to consider a boat for fly fishing the Chesapeake. I've never owned a boat and have just fly fished from a boat with guides. As a newbie, I am interested in reading some basic information ranging from types of boats to consider, how to keep it when not in use (I am not interested in trailering it), boat safety and operation courses etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

One of the best boats for fly fishing would probably be a center console ie the classic boston whaler (lots of other manufactures). You want to look at a boat with a fair amount of freeboard ( the sides of the boat aren't too low, and then you have to decide on skiff type (flatter bottom), or v hull. Lots of opinions on whats better. Also consider anything else you want to use the boat for, which might lead you to look at certain styles. If you don;t want to trailer, you either need an in-water slip or have the boat in dry storage. Dry storage is when the marina pulls your boat out after each use, and puts it in a big barn. You call ahead of time and they will have it in the water for you. This cuts down on stuff growing on your boat and the wear and tear of being in saltwater all the time. Look at what the fly fishing guides are using, they are using those boats for a reason, they work for having paying fly fisherman on the boat. Hope this gets you started.

erik

Thanks for your thoughts. You raise an interesting suggestion about guides boats. While I have done some salt water fly fishing from boats, mainly in Florida and New England, I have only done this once on the Chesapeake. As I view this exercise as a long term goal, one thing worth doing (and fun) is to book a number of guided trips on the Bay.

So I will add another thread to ask for recommendations on guides for the upper Chesapeake.

Good luck! Booking a bunch of fishing trips sounds like terribly hard research ;) Most of my experience is on the lower bay, and mostly not fly fishing, although I have done some from my kayak. Another fun idea is to hit a bunch of boat shows, and maybe head to some boat dealers and climb all over the different types of boats to see how they would work for you. I bought a boat last year that is a great familyand gear fishing boat, but it is not really laid out for very well for fly fishing. Gotta keep the kids and wife happy! Have fun in your search.

Erik

Fishing the bay and rivers are two different things, In the backwater like the chester river, or eastern bay and tribs you can get buy with a smaller boat, buy that I mean one under 20', even so if the wind kicks up your boat can get small fast. The main bay I dont go out if the wind forcast is above 15 knots And sometimes their wrong it may get worst. If all your doing is fly fishing a open boat is best with not a lot of stuff sticking up into the air. A deck or casting platform in the front works good but watch out for boat wakes. In the summer the sun can be a problem so a top is not a bad idea. I personally have a 23' kencraft cc. It has a big bow flair, high sides not a lot of ''v'' in the bottom so a smaller motor works well, also the price of gas. A carollina skiff is a good boat but its flat on the botton. A Whaler 17' is a great boat but not cheep if you can find one. If you buy used get someone who knows boats to look at it or hire a surveyor. A cheep boat with rotton stringers and a bad transom is no use to you and will cost a lot to fix. I think any boat over 17' is a starting point, you don't want to push your luck out there if it gets ugly. Stripers are on my passions.Good luck

Thanks for your thoughts, limestoner.

Deut,
Send me a PM with you email address and I can give you some good boating advice. I have owned several boats over the last 30 years and have fished the bay alot, both with trolling and fly gear. I'd even be will to talk with you on the phone. In my opinion for a first time boat owner I would stick with something in the 18-20 foot range. A good center console with outboard power ranging from 150-200hp is a good start. For the bay you will want a deep V boat. While Boston whalers are great boats then don't have the deepest of hulls imho. You want something with nice high sides for safety.

Totaly agree, A 18'-20' works well, I don't understand about you not wanting to trailer your boat, sometimes the stripers are in the lower eastern bay schooled up and they may be up the chester river or the choptank could be better. I say your ok if you dont want to fish all the different places and stay in one area but theres a lot of bay down there and exploring it is a adventure. If you plan to keep your boat on a dry rack storage at a marina they can get backed up on the weekends and its a hassle, plus your buying gas at gas docks and its not cheap, WEB SITES FOR BOATS- boats.com yachtbrokers saltydog I boats Hope this helps,,

limestoner wrote:
Totaly agree, A 18'-20' works well, I don't understand about you not wanting to trailer your boat, sometimes the stripers are in the lower eastern bay schooled up and they may be up the chester river or the choptank could be better. I say your ok if you dont want to fish all the different places and stay in one area but theres a lot of bay down there and exploring it is a adventure. If you plan to keep your boat on a dry rack storage at a marina they can get backed up on the weekends and its a hassle, plus your buying gas at gas docks and its not cheap, WEB SITES FOR BOATS- boats.com yachtbrokers saltydog I boats Hope this helps,,

Regarding trailering: you raise valid points, and my view may change as I explore options. My initial preference to not trailering comes from not having a vehicle to pull a trailer and no place to store a boat on a trailer.

Thanks for the websites. I'll start to look through them.

You should check out Jones Brothers marine They are rock solid boats and are used by several Fly guides down here in NC

http://www.jonesbrothersmarine.com/jbm_capefish23.htm#tab_0

F&S marine. hanover,pa. 1988 proline 17' 2003- 70hp johnson and trailer $5500.

Where do plan to fish?

I had a triumph 190 bay, It was the best boat I've ever had for fly fishing; bar none . i've had Makoe's , crestliners. It was the dryest boat in rough water. You really should check them out. I'm moveing to VA. and I'll get another one. They have a casting deck on the bow for fly fishing.

limestoner wrote:
Where do plan to fish?

TBD
As I am knew to fishing the Chesapeake, where I to fish will be a part of the process. I will say that my initial preference is to consider the Northern part of the Bay as it is closer, and, therefore, I am more likely to fish more often.

Thanks NCFlyYakker and Hunter.

2001 aquasport 21' 115 yamaha, trailer not included in sale but will sell for 700 more- E-BAY. There are two marinas at chester/ crab alley md. just below kent narrows. The one is a full service marina, Island view marina, they will store your boat and trailer, give them a call about dropping the boat in for you, I don't think they have rack storage but its a great location and a nice place. You can fish the eastern bay to the south or the chester river to the north wherever the fish are. Some flounder have been caught around claiborne and poplar island all within reach of crab alley. Theres a public ramp there, good crabbin, a shopping mall, chesapeake outdoors bait and tackle, safeway and at kent narrows theres hotels, resurants with decks on the water also marinas, at the narrows its good fishing to, under the bridge. Hope this helps,,,,,,limestoner

2005 maycraft center console, yamaha 150 on a bracket and trailer, chester, Md.---E-bay

I made a mistake, the marina that is a nice marina at crab alley MD. is CLARKS landing- full service marina.

Back