Blue Gill on Top Water

turkey

turkey

20230601 073057

That's my steelhead 8wt rig I repurpose for smallies. Anyone else pop for panfish?

Admittedly, I don't know my panfish. All I know is that it's not a long-ear.

Thats a bluegill, i did the same this evening with a turks tarantula.

Nice bull bluegill. I don't use poppers as much of it as I used to. The last couple of years I've caught most of my bluegills on sliders or floating mop flies tied on size 6 hooks.

Nice bull bluegill. I don't use poppers as much of it as I used to. The last couple of years I've caught most of my bluegills on sliders or floating mop flies tied on size 6 hooks.
Mop with LONG cdc palmered around collar is my bluegill killer at the pond at my house.

We haven't targeted panfish since the county took over the local country club and fenced access to all the ponds. We never bothered to name the particular species - they were all bluegills, described as "peanuts," "there's one," and "Hey, look at this one!" The one in your photo is bigger than most of the L-M Bass we happened to catch - except for a bass that gulped down a little bluegill during the retrieve, only to cough it up at the shoreline (the little guy survived but stayed in the weeds until after we left).

Mop with LONG cdc palmered around collar is my bluegill killer at the pond at my house.
Subsurface or top water? Subsurface, I use two or three wraps of soft hackles or a long Estaz/sparkle chenille behind the bead. Top water, normally I just use a couple of wraps of longer sparkle chenille behind the foam dumbbell head. I also put some floatant on the mop piece.

Subsurface or top water? Subsurface, I use two or three wraps of soft hackles or a long Estaz/sparkle chenille behind the bead. Top water, normally I just use a couple of wraps of longer sparkle chenille behind the foam dumbbell head. I also put some floatant on the mop piece.
Unweighted for sure. I do foam dumbell eyes and none with cdc.

Back