Blood knot hack

Regarding the nail knot..

I've never owned or used a tool. A nail knot is just a uni-knot tied in parallel to and catching the tip of the fly line. Lay them side by side and make your wraps around the line. Slowly tighten and squinch it down with your thumbnails until you have it seated with tight wraps at the very tip of the line. The first time you try it this way, give yourself 3/8" or so of the fly line for grace because from time to time, one of the wraps will slip out past the line tip. After that, you should be able to seat it with only 1/4" or less of fly line to snip away. It's easy. You don't need a tool, not really..

Regarding the blood knot..

I too, began tying my first blood knot when Gordon was in knickers. I finished it just before his funeral... Ever since, I've been tying surgeon's knots. A triple for .008 and thinner and a double from .008 up. People ask me: Why don't you tie blood knots? I tell them it is for the same reason that I walk out the kitchen to get my morning coffee. I could get there by doing backflips and somersaults, but why bother when walking is much easier and just as good? So it is with the blood knot/surgeon's knot thing...

RLeep2 wrote:
Regarding the nail knot..

Regarding the blood knot..

I too, began tying my first blood knot when Gordon was in knickers. I finished it just before his funeral... Ever since, I've been tying surgeon's knots. A triple for .008 and thinner and a double from .008 up. People ask me: Why don't you tie blood knots? I tell them it is for the same reason that I walk out the kitchen to get my morning coffee. I could get there by doing backflips and somersaults, but why bother when walking is much easier and just as good? So it is with the blood knot/surgeon's knot thing...

I agree, if I'm just tying two pieces of leader together. However, if I plan on using the knot to attach a dropper, I prefer the blood knot for several reasons: 1) I can tie the fly onto the upper portion of leader before tying the knot (which means that I don't have to fumble with tying a clinch knot with only 4 inches or so of leader available) and 2)the blood knot allows the dropper to stick out at right angles to the leader.

I agree about the dropper/blood knot thing, which is probably one reason why I've never got into droppers. My loss, I'm sure...

I can now tie the Blood Knot relatively instinctively. Nail Knot is next.
At night I sit here in front of the TV and practice.
Up until now I've joined line to leader with a Triple Surgeons Knot. The only problem is that they're not used as frequently and so it may never become an instinct to use the Nail Knot.

Here's a good bait chucker blood knot hack. There is simply no reason to tie a blood knot any other way. To the purist it's a dropper loop with the loop cut off much like a snell knot is a whip finish.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZum2373iw

Risen I like your video don’t let the people who talk big but aren’t putting the work involved in just the video alone no less try to help someone out don’t give up on those that are willing to learn just because of some hecklers

Back