Blizzard in SE Pa. good?

We have no control over any of it, but I agree with Pat, a fairly dry spring with a wetter summer would be a good thing.

Water would certainly be good, but in terms of wild trout survival, I'm more concerned about rain in June-September. I'll take a dry early spring in exchange for a wet summer every time.

Go check the flows on a lot of the regional limestoners, which aren't as reactive to short term rain events/runoff. We've got a lot of scary low creeks right now that are a reflection of a drained aquifer that's in need of a serious recharge that ain't gonna happen overnight. We've been stuck in this cycle since last June when the spigot shut down...Letort, Big Spring, Spring Creek, Penn's and a lot of smaller no name spring creeks are and have been low-low-low. Big Spring has been consistently under 20cfs, 2/3's of it's historic, expected flow for months now...

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_63680=on&format=gif_default&site_no=01569460&period=&begin_date=2016-06-01&end_date=2017-03-18

tomitrout wrote:
Water would certainly be good, but in terms of wild trout survival, I'm more concerned about rain in June-September. I'll take a dry early spring in exchange for a wet summer every time.

Go check the flows on a lot of the regional limestoners, which aren't as reactive to short term rain events/runoff. We've got a lot of scary low creeks right now that are a reflection of a drained aquifer that's in need of a serious recharge that ain't gonna happen overnight. We've been stuck in this cycle since last June when the spigot shut down...Letort, Big Spring, Spring Creek, Penn's and a lot of smaller no name spring creeks are and have been low-low-low. Big Spring has been consistently under 20cfs, 2/3's of it's historic, expected flow for months now...

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_63680=on&format=gif_default&site_no=01569460&period=&begin_date=2016-06-01&end_date=2017-03-18

^ No doubt true.

I check the USGS flow listing every day and the streams in the entire eastern part of PA needs a recharge.

Hopefully the pattern will break soon or it could be a long tough summer for the trout.

Back