Blessed Relief

salmo

salmo

Looks like Southeast Pennsylvania received about 1.5 inches of rain. It will help, but we probably need a 2-3 day rain event to make much of an impact. I'm thankful for small blessings. Unfortunately the weather remains unusually hot.

Rained a decent amout on Sunday in SWPA- was overcast half of yesterday but the streams were back to being low. Need 3 day soaker.

Yesterday day was overcast which helped reduce the amount of evaporation. More is needed and this week will remain well above average temps.

We got a good amount of rain yesterday. Grass looked greener this morning.

Just saw forecast for Pittsburgh for the rest of the week- sun and mid eighties. Misery never ends.

Other than a slight green up to my lawn, yesterday's rain fell woefully short of any real impact. Slight bump in stream levels that will be gone in no time. Looks like more seasonal temps are finally on the way beginning this weekend. Nothing is really going to change unless we get a tropical storm that hangs around for a couple of days.

I have to correct my post. According to USGS the Valley Creek watershed received over 2 inches of rain yesterday. It might be better to get another 2 inches of rain over 3 days instead. Keep praying or seeding clouds.

The rain we received was not much help, and I checked the gauge on Pine Creek at Cedar Run, the rain gauge recorded about 1.2 inches of rain. Pine went up but is now back down, it didn't even reach the mean flow.

2" to 3" of rain in the forecast from tomorrow through Thursday night. Figures that now that things are cooling off we may go from drought conditions to flood conditions instead of a nice steady increase to stream levels.

I dunno, I think a light on and off rain of 2-3 inches over a several day period is not exactly too much. It's just what the doctor ordered!

I'd have preferred to have this about 2 months ago. But I'll take it now!

pcray1231 wrote:
I dunno, I think a light on and off rain of 2-3 inches over a several day period is not exactly too much. It's just what the doctor ordered!

I'd have preferred to have this about 2 months ago. But I'll take it now!

Don't think it's going to be of the off and on variety. I agree it would be just what the doctor ordered if it is.

I just checked NWS at Phila. Allentown and Reading none received more then .11 inches of rain. So where did you record and inch and a half?

My rain guage here in Adams Co. indicated no measurable precipitation last night.

Hm! The gauge at Valley Creek says .01 inches.

Who said they got 1.5"?

2-3" of rain forecasted for NCPA between Thursday and Sunday. Rock.

Salmo said it. A week ago. Chaz needs to keep an eye on the post dates. That was a different storm.

Gotcha haha! Well, it looks like my summit will be blessed ;-)

We had steady, medium/heavy rain last night for 35-35 minutes. No rain gauge but it had to be a good 0.25". The forecast claims an additional 1.5-2 but I've seen estimated totals of 0.5" near PA / NY border all the way up to 1.95". We'll see what happens. We'll get dry streambeds or blown out messes. No way the conditions will cooperate in 2016

Looks like SC PA is going to be hammered with rain Thurs-Early Saturday. I hope it stops by 6 or 7am on Saturday since it's the archery deer opener. Rain=slippery bark=disaster with climbing stand. Looks like I'll probably be in a blind.

We're a week and a half out, so grains of salt and all that.

But.....

That hoped for tropical system. 97L currently predicted to become a hurricane (potentially a major cat 3 or 4) as it turns north/northwestward with very likely US landfall. At this range anywhere from New Orleans to Cape Cod is still possible, but the "center of the cone" has it scraping the Florida coast before making landfall in SC/NC region, tracking straight up through Virginia and into central PA.

This far in advance, that track WILL change, perhaps several times, so maybe being in the bullseye isn't a good thing. Nonetheless, here's your hurricane/tropical storm running almost due north through the eastern part of the country. Only question is whether it goes west, east, or over us.

Last 2 runs of the GFS, midnight run first and 6 a.m. run second. Notice lead times of 220-240 hrs. That'll get the chromers moving!

Attachments

• gfs_atlantic_222_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif
    gfs_atlantic_222_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif
    80.6 KB · Views: 2
  • gfs_atlantic_240_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif
    gfs_atlantic_240_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
Back