Black Pheasant Tail

• Thread starter Kill3ducks1deer
  • Start date
K

Kill3ducks1deer

Ok this might be stupid question, but today I couldn't find any black pheasant tails at the stores I went to, so I was wondering, would a black permanent marker get the job done? Would the feather stay black or would it wash off? If it doesn't work, is there an easy way to dye a pheasant tail black?

It's worth a try. I use color sharpies all the time on different materials and I don't notice it washing off. But then again, my flies usually wind up in a tree or snagged on the bottom of the river way before they could show any wear.

Don

That's a good point, I will probably lose them before they really have a chance to lose the color, guess I will give it a try.

I do use some pheasant tail type flies which are blackish. I use wild turkey tail for this. Just treat it like regular P tail. It works just fine.
Looks great as well.

GenCon

I use pheasant tails dyed in several colors, dye them just like anything else. Dying is easy just don't use your good cookware . Don't make anything too dark, the water will darken it, and bugs are generally multi toned.

Woodlands World in Uniontown had them last week.

JH

if your in a fix use black dubbing

crow will work also...

I had tied a bunch of different color PT this weekend. I like the dyed green and rusty brown alot. I tied a few in the rusty brown color with mono eyes, and a triangular shaped wing case. Hope these can draw some strikes and represent a stone clinger nymph.

Back