Black nose dace Clouser

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

This is not the exact patern of the clouser but i think it is close enough to fall into the catagory. I imagine a few of you guys had saned for "striper" minnows when you were a bait fisherman. I have caught a ton of fish on these dace or redfins. I took a break from tying nymphs last night and pulled out a deer tail i had saved from a few years back. I am trying to get better at streamer fishing. Examining the colors i noticed how much it resembled a black nose dace "striper minnow" So i began to tie.

The bottom fly has the deer hair tied in above the eyes and the top has the hair tied in behind the eyes. I am pretty big on the lower fly myself since it has more of a natural head.

What do you guys think? My trusty vice just broke last night so my old back up is shaped wrong and sort of prohibited me from tying the hook upside-down like the clouser paterns should be tied.

I tested it out on the pet stockies on The Little conemaugh this morning for 15 mins before work and missed two. Creek was high and muddy however.

I will be hitting up yellow creek on monday to test the patern some more. This patern is very easy and inexpensive to tie. You can get a bunch of them from 1 deer tail as well.

Attachments

• deer tail clouser.jpg
    deer tail clouser.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 20
  • e_blacknose_dace.jpg
    e_blacknose_dace.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 11
Clouser minnows flip over and ride hook point up. The dace fly you tied would swim upside down. They should be tied with the darkside up to imitate a minnow. Sorry.

Attachments

• Clousers.jpg
    Clousers.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 6
I had stated in the post my vice broke or i would have. ;)

"My trusty vice just broke last night so my old back up is shaped wrong and sort of prohibited me from tying the hook upside-down like the clouser paterns should be tied."

WIll be flipping the patern over when i fix the trusty Thompson i bought at a yardsale. Thanks for the correction how ever.

First time every tying the clouser as well. Do you guys Tie the deer hair in front of the eyes or behind. Do you use the deer haird to form the head like the lower fly or do you use the thread?

I was able to spin the eyes to the back side. I guess adding all of that thread helped.

Thanks for the seeing th flaw Afish!

Do the eyes have to be on the opposite side of the hook? Now I'm all confused

Attachments

• revised striper.jpg
    revised striper.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3
Your first post had the lead eyes on the correct side of the hook. The problem is that to imitate the dace, you need to have the brown and white hair reversed. The second set of flies will still put the brown hair down because the eyes will make the hook ride hook down.

If you look at Afish's picture post, the eyes are on the top of the hook shenk which makes it ride hook point up. The darker color you want on top so you need the dark color tied in on the opposite side of the hook shenk as where the eyes are tied in.

Thanks guys. I think these will still wrangle me a few trout. RE-DO coming later.

A-Fish.....those r nice , looks like the "Man" tied em. Mike u n i must meet sometime , Bob Clouser taught me how to tie his original minnow right up close , i'd be glad to show u a few of the tricks he revealed and then there's that blood knot............i'm in the book. He also showed me a clouser style redfin that is the bomb.

"The Man" did tie them.

I knew I recognized that picture.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Umpqua174-Clouser-Minnow-Assortment/743026.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dclouser%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=clouser&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

mike_richardson wrote:
Do you guys Tie the deer hair in front of the eyes or behind.

Yes, tie the deer hair in front of the eyes. Allow the thread to build up the "nose" of the fly.

The fly you show on top of your last picture is correct.

You want to "taper cut" or tie the deer hair in at an angle to avoid too much bulk at the nose of the fly.

Remember to also keep the deer hair to a minimum. The Clouser minnow is not a fly to be tied bulky.

Back