Black/Hayes Creek

Yea, I don't know how a completely different stream is being talked about in this thread. I thought I kind of made myself clear as to what stream I was speaking about. Like mentioning Rt 534 & Rt 80?

Anyway, I thought I'd include this pic which is at the base of the tunnel that goes under the road. This can't be a good thing for the stream.

Attachments

• IMG_2184 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2184 (Custom).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 23
I knew which stream you were referring to as I've fished it several times and it has been discussed at length on this board in the past. If you hiked up to 80 from 534, that was probably a pretty arduous hike. Plenty of rhodo and other choking vegetation. Not to mention, I always felt like I was going to roll up on a bear while fishing that stream.

Nice report on your fishing activities and it certainly reaffirms my thought process that when I'm up there I'll skip this stream and focus on others.

oh lyco mentioned interesting info on the other Lehigh trib called black creek. at least we weren't talking about the Little Nescopecks. Yes, there are two of them, and a black creek over there, too. :)

Attachments

• 14117751060_986de2d01e.jpg
    14117751060_986de2d01e.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 6
Someone asked about the Black Creek on the west side of the Lehigh. There is a third Black Creek nearby that is also impacted by AMD and sewerage, that's dead. The Black Creek in Weatherly is dead, I fished there years ago below Quakake Creek.
But the OP Black Creek/Hayes Creek is alive. I believe it's pretty heavily fished and that is why people catch few trout. It doesn't help that it's populated by recalcitrant browns.

Fished black/ Hayes creek shortly Saturday morning, while camping at hickory run. Fished for about a mile above 534 had one brookie on, and had a couple other hits. Its a beautiful creek, wish I had more time to explore.

That fishing success sounds similar to mine on the lower stretch of it. By all accounts, it sounds like the fish population is further up. Rhodo/mountain laurel central!

Back