Black caddis pupa

gochs

gochs

I want to be more specific when using my caddis pupas. if the adult is a black caddis, what color would the pupa be?

From what I have seen theres hundreds of color combinations for the pupa. I want to say that it depends on where your fishing. I think that if you have olive, gray, tan, and a darker color like maybe black or brown you should be covered. Ive been experimenting with different thorax cominations trying different color dubbings and sometimes peacock herl, cdc, etc.

This site is pretty good for some ideas

http://www.trout-streams.com/Tied%20Fly%20pic/Caddis%20Pupa%20-%20Emerger/caddis_pupa%20Page.htm

I'm not 100% sure actually. I've generally seen caddis pupae in two colors, green and cream. I'm not saying other colors don't exist, merely my observation.

During prolific caddis hatches, I've been having a bang up time with simple wets. Black silk floss body, black hen hackle, silver tag.

Green and cream pupae are the only colores I've seen, so I that's all I carry. Beadheads with a twist or two of peacock or black ice dub behind the bead; sparkle emergers with peacock and partridge hackle.

peace-tony c.

A brassie makes a good copy of a black caddis larva. Most people think that that the brassie was originally intended to be a midge pattern, but it actually was designed to be used as a caddis pattern. You can read about it in Gary LaFontaine's Caddisflies book.

Back