Bizarre: Intense Bubbling on Susquehanna (video)

Beefheart

Beefheart

I saw something on the Susquehanna today that has left me puzzled. I hope someone here has an explanation.

First, here's a link to video I captured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBZGBVN6AMg

I was just below the Rockville Bridge near Fort Hunter. I was stalking a carp from the bank then out of the corner of my eye I saw a commotion in the water. It first looked like a big fish chasing another, but then the commotion increased. What I captured on video was just the last few seconds, but all in all it lasted a couple minutes. At its peak, the river was "boiling" in an area about 6 feet in diameter. It was quite a bit more intense than what the video shows with frothing water bubbling a foot or two above the surface.

I'm clueless as to what this was. It's most likely an outflow of some kind of pipe, but what would be released into the river that would cause such a commotion? And why so short and intense? Or was it a natural phenomenon? I highly doubt there's any correlation, but a train was going over the bridge while it was going on.

About 20 minutes before this started, I had been wading very near the area where this happened. Almost fell into a mid-river jacuzzi! I was tempted to go out and investigate the area after it ended, but decided not to risk being sucked into the underworld.

WOW!

I expected the clip to be of carp bubbling, but that is crazy.

Release the Kraken!

Wow that is messed up!
I have no idea where to begin on that one.

I've been floating right near that spot when the water let loose. Made me jump. Lol. It's a outlet pipe for some treatment system somewhere. Last summer, I saw a guy wade fishing all around it while it was boiling / shooting 2' into the air. Didn't phase him in the slightest. I should have taken a temp to see if the water being released is significantly warmer or cooler. Might draw fish below it as the release is occurring.

That is very strange! I don't see how that could be an out flow from a pipe in that area? Weird.

I kayaked by this a couple weeks ago and guessed it must be sewage treatment? I did notice more of a Swatara Creek smell at the bridge.

I think the Loch Ness Monster has relocated to America.

Hmmm...first thought was something like this:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-14/condamine-river-mysterious-bubbling-intensifying-landholders-say/7139676

Thanks for the info, Krayfish. I do wonder where it's coming from. It's a significant amount of water being released into the river!

The valley right beside the bridge is pretty unpopulated. Don't k ow of any sewage system there.

The underground pipe that goes from Dehart to the worst city ever runs right through the corner of my backyard. I imagine it continues toward the city. That pipe could be an overflow that blows off periodically so the lines don't get over pressured and rupture. That is just a stab in the dark

Cthulhu

Methane gas release ??

There is a sewage treatment plant right up from Fort Hunter. This is a release pipe from there.

I know where the treatment plant in Dauphin is located. I don't know of anything near Fishing Crk Valley Rd or Roberts Valley Rd. Where is the plant located? Can't believe I've missed it.

I thought it was an intake for the United water plant that's back behind McDonald's off front street, but I could be wrong also. Often water intakes will have bubble systems or air bursts that clean leaves or debris of screens.... And also break up ice in cold weather.

Whatever it is, it's some type of utility there.

Good call. Forgot united water there off of 6th street

TJones wrote:
I thought it was an intake for the United water plant that's back behind McDonald's off front street, but I could be wrong also. Often water intakes will have bubble systems or air bursts that clean leaves or debris of screens.... And also break up ice in cold weather.

Whatever it is, it's some type of utility there.

IMO that makes the most sense so far.

Back