Bite leaders

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

I'm going to try my hand at Musky this year and wanted to pick your brains about types off bite leaders. Is one material better than others,will heavy mono work?, should i tie them or buy them pre-tied??. I'm planning on a 9 weight set up throwing big mice,poppers,streams and what ever looks like Musky food. your advice will be appreciated. Thanks B.A.

At teh beach there are a couple methods that each have their merit. One is nylon coated wire...easy as mono to tie knots but some claim it spooks fish...I use a short piece of 50lb mono...the bluefish haven't cut it yet but its always possible. They also make those "toothy critter" leaders which are made from a tapered version of the coated wire. I would go with whatever is convenient and accessible. Let us know how you do...

Dear brookieaddict,

I've spent some time talking to a guy who owns a destination pike lodge in Saskatchewan and he swears by either Tyger wire or Surlon knottable nylon coated wire leader. He says 20# test is all you need and if it gets booggered up just replace it. It comes in spools just like trout tippet.

They catch many 100's, maybe even a couple 1000's of pike each year at his lodge over 45 inches so I figure he knows his stuff? I also talked to a guy who fished at the lodge and they fly caught over 300 pike in a week in their group and not one of them that they counted was under 40 inches. Pike differ little from musky when it comes to dentures.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Tom and Tim many thanks the info is greatly appreciated, if i do get really lucky and remember the camera ill post it here first. If i hook myself with some 3/0's i'll need advice on the closest Med. Center. thanks again. B.A.

Back