Big trout eats little trout!

D

DavidFin

Tonight on my local in NJ I had the biggest trout I've ever seen in person snipe and eat the little trout I hooked on a dry. I was using a 7'6" 4wt, bent to the cork for a good minute or two before the little trout was spit. He was pretty much dead, did my best to revive him.

This trout was pushing 30"s and 100% wild. I stood there with my jaw to the ground for a few minutes like a little kid. Put a mouse pattern on and hit a nice smallie.

I had the same thing happen once. Fought the fish almost to the net. Convinced the bigger fish wasn't hooked but just hanging on to the small one. The big one had the little one crossways in its mouth like a dog with a bone. Biggest fish I've ever seen.

Little Brook,Brown and Rainbow streamers. Been around for decades.
Big fish eat little fish,some time not so little. I use baits in the salt as big as my hand and bigger.
GG

Yea, this is nothing new, but the fact that this fish was this big... I'm almost embarrassed talking about it because it sounds like BS. This river pours into a lake and I've caught a few 20"ers in it, with rumors of bigger fish always whispered...

I once had a pickerel snipe a small bass in the shallows, bit him in half and was caught on my hook. The bass looked like Jaws at the end of the movie, slowly sinking with a plume of blood trailing to the surface.

My largest bass ever, grabbed a 7" bass that I hooked on a rubber worm. The larger bass then hooked itself. Was 22" 6.5lbs. This all happened in about a foot of water. Spectacular to see!!

I believe it. One time, while fishing the Beaver River in Utah, I hooked into a decent 14" rainbow. Shortly after hooking, I saw flashes of a HUGE rainbow snapping at the fish I had on the line. He couldn't get my fish in his mouth because it was just too big, but the predatory instinct to attack a struggling fish was definitely overwhelming.

DavidFin wrote:
Yea, this is nothing new, but the fact that this fish was this big... I'm almost embarrassed talking about it because it sounds like BS.

Yea, it does, but this is a fishing site, and that is to be expected.

I once had a large musky try to eat a small walleye off of my line. But I saw the musky go for it and managed to pull the walleye away from it.

Both were in season, but there is no way I could have landed the musky from where I was fishing from.

Once saw a sea run brown swimming around with a snapper blue cross-ways in it's mouth. That was pretty cool. So I tied on a shiny spinner. Had a few follows, but never did hook any. I guess what I needed was a large shiny spoon. or a streamer tied with a bunch of silver.

I once had an 8" Gemmie take a hooked 4” Gemmie crossways in its mouth while I was pulling the little fella in. The bigger one let me pull it clear of the water before it let go…It was one of those big headed, famished body, really old looking ones. He eventually dropped off back into the water and cruised slowly back up to the head of the pool. I released the little one into riffles below me and said "you're welcome." I then caught the big one (or his twin elderly brother) outright on the next cast. I was using a microbugger tied to basically look like a little Gemmie too. Mmmmm, even Gemmies think Gemmies are tasty.

I saw a Big Brownie chasing a small one in a pool in January Big fish eat fish

I told this one a few times before, but I once caught two snapper blues at once on a single number 14 wet fly. Those little snapper blues hit anything shiny.

They were both the same size (bout 6 "). One had taken the fly in it's mouth, the other grabbed onto the first one's tail. It never did let go, but fell off into my bucket, taking a chunk of the first one's tail with it.

Also caught a large blue crab on the same fly that day.

Lived in a converted grist mill right at the mouth of a trout stream where it ran into the tidal water.

Life was very good then.

That house sounds like a retirement dream. GG

I once was pulling in about an 9" brown on Spring Ck. when a larger fish, maybe 15" swooped in and gabbed the little guy sideways. I gave a little tug and the bigger fish let go; really no way he could have gotten the smaller fish in his mouth. As mentioned before that predatory instinct to strike struggling prey is strong.

While fishing a water filled quarry near Portland Pa. years ago I hooked into a large mouth bass about a ft. long,while playing with it a HUGE bass came and swallowed the small bass with one gulp.I left the big guy take off into the depths then I started reeling it in hoping the small bass would get stuck in the throat of the big guy.But the big guy spit the small fish and swam off,that big one must have been 30",probaly the biggest I have ever seen.

I had a large brown trout hit a 10 inch rainbow I was bringing in in Utah in a small stream. I also had a huge 50"+ probably closer to 60" muskie (the biggest I've ever seen by far) eat a 15 inch sheepshead I was reeling in on a spinning rod. I fought the muskie for 10 mins and got it to the side of the boat before it let go. I had no net and the sheepshead was toast. Lots of blood when it let go.

I netted a muskie for a friend that ate a 2lb smb before too. The muskie wasn't hooked but did not let go until it was in the net. That one was 49 inches.

I once had a 10" rainbow inhaled by a 50"+ musky right at the beginning of the DH area on the Tully below Blue Marsh Dam. Up to that point, I never saw anything that big anywhere while fishing and about shat my shorts. I had the musky on for two minutes- maybe less before he chewed through the leader.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
That house sounds like a retirement dream. GG

Yea, if I still lived in Connecticut, I'd probably own it by now. I loved it, but hated paying rent. The mill itself was divided into 4 apartments. I lived in one of those. There was also another house on the property.

Good times.

The stream was stocked though. ;-)

Back