Big Spring Stream Gage

albud1962

albud1962

I have been periodically checking the Big Spring USGS gage and man do the flows look bad. Not sure if the aquifer is still recharging or something else in play. Does anyone have any background on what may be occurring?

Still trying to catch up after last year's drought. It takes a while for the rain to percolate down thru and recharge the springs...we've had a good run of rain the last six months, but still a ways to go.

Oddly enough, the amount of vegetation in the stream I think has made it appear to not be low (pushing the water up). When I was there on the 1st it looked great to me.

Wading it revealed its deeper than you think.

It looks pretty bad.

Are there any water withdrawal/pumping issues there?

Is it the local quarry, is it increased development and draw on the aquifer, is it loss of local farmland to hard surfaces and direct runoff, is it the prior year's drought, is it successive winters with lack of decent seasonal snow?

Yes.

The place with the yellow slide driveway bridge had a pipe in taking water but that all I know of.

tomitrout wrote:
Is it the local quarry, is it increased development and draw on the aquifer, is it loss of local farmland to hard surfaces and direct runoff, is it the prior year's drought, is it successive winters with lack of decent seasonal snow?

Yes.

Where is the quarry? And are they pumping water?

I think Big Spring seems to be doing a little better.
Was there over the last couple weekends. Caught many bow and brook dinks (unintentionally) indicating a good spawn.

A couple months ago, Big Spring was averaging 15-16cfs - approximately 1/2 of it's average flows, but recently it has jumped up to 22cfs over the past few weeks.

As I write this, it looks to have actually spiked up to 30cfs. Hopefully it stays up there.!

There's a quarry within the watershed/drainage of pretty much every limestoner in the Cumberland Valley. Some pump water out of their pit and back into the stream like at the Letort, some don't.

As I write this, it looks to have actually spiked up to 30cfs. Hopefully it stays up there.!

We had some pretty insane storms yesterday afternoon and evening that tracked right up the valley for a change, that spike is due to the multiple inches of rain we got...it'll probably be back down to the low-mid 20's in a day or so.

Edit to add: Just looked at the gages...

Breeches went from 170cfs and peaked at over 2000 last night/this morning, now at 1700+

Mountain Creek was below 10cfs a couple days ago and peaked around 500cfs.

So yeah, we got hammered with rain (2.5" according to Dickinson's gauge, 2.9" in Mt. Holly), was crazy to watch the storm roll in while at the Senators Game before it got called after the 6th. Also, some white flies and probably cahills showed themselves in the stadium lights before it got ugly...

tomitrout wrote:

There's a quarry within the watershed/drainage of pretty much every limestoner in the Cumberland Valley. Some pump water out of their pit and back into the stream like at the Letort, some don't.

If there is a quarry involved, someone ought to be able to specify where it is located, and that it is in fact pumping water.

If there is not a quarry involved, then no one should suggest that there is.

I took a quick look at satellite images of the area and didn't see a quarry nearby.

I was just hoping someone who lives in the area and knows the situation well could let us know if there is a water withdrawal issue in the Big Spring watershed, or not.

I was just hoping someone who lives in the area and knows the situation well could let us know if there is a water withdrawal issue in the Big Spring watershed, or not.

Well, I'm in Carlisle and pretty sure that counts as being 'in the area.' Look closer at your satellite pic, there is a quarry that affects Big Spring. Not sure what you mean exactly by 'water withdrawal', but all of the development in the watershed will affect the creek, whether it's changes to surface flow patterns due to increased hard surfaces or changes to the underlying karst system that feeds the springs. Here's a link to some Sunday morning reading over your coffee:

http://webspace.ship.edu/tmhurd/BSWARCPFinal.pdf

A quick glance pulled out this passage on pages 9 & 10:

A major concern of BSWA is the commercial development of warehouse/truck terminals within contributing areas of Big Spring. Housing development pressures are also increasing in the area. At the time of this writing, West Pennsboro has granted preliminary plan approval to a development on SR223 south of the town of Newville and in the surface watershed. Farming pressures include a large facility, such as a recently proposed hog farm near SR233. Areas to the south and east are zoned and being developed industrially, and these are likely contributing areas to Big Spring or Newville Municipal Spring (Cool Spring). Like any area with karst (limestone) geology, groundwater flow patterns are unpredictable based on surface topography. Springs such as Big Spring are derived from source water areas (recharge zones) far outside their surface watersheds. This characteristic is of paramount importance in protecting Big Spring Creek and its associated springs. Hydrological traces associated with the project have recently demonstrated that rapid infiltration of runoff into sinkholes will pour into the aquifer and be carried directly in limestone conduits to Big Spring. One of the PAFBC hatchery culverts acts as a conduit for roadside runoff to the stream’s headwaters. In one rain event in 2005, this resulted in substantial sediment loading to the stream. BSWA would like to work with PAFBC to mitigate this problem. Raceways exist at the old Thomas hatchery site further downstream, on the west side of the stream. These are in ruins and covered with successional forest. They should be examined further to determine if they contribute siltation to Big Spring through outlet pipes, or serve as habitat to wetland organisms.

The west spring of Big Spring is susceptible to sedimentation during strong rain events. This spring is connected to at least one large sinkhole to the west near Shippensburg that occurs, ironically, in a failing detention basin engineered to slow runoff from an impervious surface. A second failing detention basin exists at the Pennsy Quarry site within the surface watershed. The basin contains a sinkhole-drainage of turbid water observed to enter directly into the aquifer rather than percolate through the system of drainage pipes and rock-fill. While this situation was mitigated by PA DEP Mining and Pennsy Supply, it is likely that the drainage will open further with additional runoff and pumping. While this quarry is permitted to blast to sea-level (a depth of about 600 feet), the permit conditions require approval from PA-DEP to continue with each 50’ increase in depth beyond the water table. Given the position of this quarry on the down-gradient side of the regional flow pattern (east surface watershed), any likely influence to Big Spring would likely occur on the smaller east contributing source spring or to Cool Spring, another east-contributing source spring that is utilized for public water supply by the Borough of Newville.

So, yes, there is a quarry that affects the creek, but it is just one contributing factor to what we're seeing. How much of a factor? Hard to say with the interconnectedness of it all...

Edit to add: Here's a Google Map link showing the quarry:
Map link

Cumberland County is, I believe, the fastest growing county in PA these days and the valley that runs down the middle of it has seen tremendous development on top of what had once been farm country.

It's likely that all the big name CV limestoners are feeling pressure on their aquifers.

Fishing there today was interesting.
The ditch from all the rain being forced through the krast had enough minerals in it to look like comet in a toilet bowl. The fish would bite but had trouble hooking up, like they couldn't see their prey properly. It looked like this all day till we left at 4. Got 10 strikes and no hook ups.

The stream below the ditch was cloudy in the early am and the bite was good. Come the afternoon the lower and middle fly area was clear. The Upper end was slightly stained. Fish were active. Was able to take 2 big fish, one of which was really nice 20+ range. The brookies were less active for me but did catch 2 really beautiful ones in the 12" range.

I don't live in the area so maybe others are more used to seeing this, but I have never seen Big Spring look off color like that.
It was really odd to me. You guys must have gotten pounded bad.

How do you get to "the ditch?" I've gone there looking for it but ended up fishing just above where the creek comes to an end.

The ditch is just below the previous big spring hatchery.the ditch was the hatchery discharge. There is a parkinglot just across from an old stonehouse

Back