Big Spring Run Project / Cumberland County

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

Yesterday I went to Big Spring for a few hours and ran into a few angry fly fisherman. Apparently all the work done by TU has made the stream nicer and easier to access but there are no fish left in the area. The anglers were very concerned that this area now is too open and the Blue Herrons are wiping out the population. As I walked the banks I found this to be true, for I only saw one little rainbow in the entire section. I believe in time they will be back. Any comments on this situation?

When was the work completed? Is it possible the fish were temporarily displacec by the construction/restoration work, and will return once things settle a little bit?

The first part of the project, completed a couple years ago, is just as open, and is loaded with fish. Give it time.

What do you mean by "too open"? Was there much vegetation removed (either bankside vegetation or aquatic vegetation)? If this stretch held a decent population of fish in the past it more than likely will again in the future.

LetortAngler wrote:
Any comments on this situation?

The current improvement project was just started a few weeks ago and will be completed by the end of this month. Of course the fish are gone.... as there was heavy equipment and major construction underway during this time. To be honest, not everybody likes the project. However, the previous project, completed in 2010, was also complicated but has produced a deeper, slower channel and, within two years, saw very large increases in trout population including a doubling of brook trout in just 11 months.

Give the new project some time. It looks very rough and denuded right now, but the weeds will grow back. This section is now deeper than before and this will help reduce heron predation.

Walking along the creek you never see trout lying in the open, I assure you they are there, hiding in the weeds and undercuts.
I helped with many TU PRojects over the years and on a couple, notibly Cross Fork the trout were right there the entire time we were doing the work, and they were feeding.
On Perkiomen Creek they were back within days of doing the work.
edit;
In all the years I've fished Big Spring there has never been much bank vegetation along the entire length of the creek. But it was always filled with weeds. That's where the trout are.

Not a huge fan of the project. Sometimes you can't leave well enough alone. And as far as walking the banks of bs you can see fish everywhere. I have never walked that creek an seen fish hiding! But hey if it produces more fish go for it. It will only bring more anglers.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I have never walked that creek an seen fish hiding!

You didn't see them because they were hiding. :lol:

Kidding aside, while fish can readily be seen in BS, esp rainbows, the overwhelming majority of trout in BS remain hidden under weeds and bankside cover.

This is generally true for Letort and Falling Springs as well.
This in large part explains the disappointment so many anglers feel when they visit these streams for the first time (esp Letort). They come expecting to see trout.... if not rising, at least visible in runs and current where they can be sight fished. When they don't see fish they leave grumbling about the lack of trout and head to Yellow Breeches where fish are visible.

Fishidiot wrote:
Kidding aside, while fish can readily be seen in BS, esp rainbows, the overwhelming majority of trout in BS remain hidden under weeds and bankside cover.

This is generally true for Letort and Falling Springs as well.
This in large part explains the dissapointment so many anglers feel when they visit these streams for the first time (esp Letort). They come expecting to see trout.... if not rising, at least visible in runs and current where they can be sight fished. When they don't see fish they leave grumbling about the lack of trout and head too Yellow Breeches where fish are visible.

Yup, yup, and yup!!!

Most people can't spot fish well, even when they are visible, including me. But I learned a lesson looking into a crystal clear wild trout stream and seeing no fish just moments before an emergence began. Then I was wondering where all those rises came from.

Back