Big Spring Creek?

drumat26

drumat26

Just moved to the shipensburg area. I am relatively new to fly fishing and I'm looking for a little advice. I fished the Big Spring Creek fly fishing only section the other day. I saw alot of fish. However not much activity. I saw only 2 fish hit the top of the water in 3 hours. I fished several patterns both dry and wet. I was however only limited to some flies I could pick up at a local store as i have not moved all my tying equipment and flies down here yet. Going home this weekend to get all my stuff after what I saw. Only had one small brookie chase on one cast. I noticed only some very small flies around the stream. Any advice on patterns for this stream and some others around this area? Thanks in advance!

Drum,
Welcome to our online fly fishing community - we talk fly fishing here 24/7.
Big Spring is a difficult stream to fish and has been extensively discussed in our forums. Try the "Advanced Search" function in the lower part of this page and you'll find enough info on this stream to keep you reading for awhile.

Our Beginner's Forum is also a good place to ask basic questions about our sport.
Dave

cressbugs and scuds

Try a big green stimulator about a #12.

Thanks everyone for you input. It's very much appreciated. Ill let you know how i do once I get a day off and I can get back out there.

A little off subject but try Middle Spring in your back yard. I just got off it and caught a few fish. It was stocked about a week ago and also hold some wild Browns. I live in Boiling Springs so only fish Middle a few times each year but seem to always catch a few. Good luck,do some exploring and you can tell us some great water to fish.

Back