Big river conditions summer 2020

krayfish2

krayfish2

The last 2 spring / early summers on the Juniata and Susky saw very high water that was muddy. This early part of summer is very different. Where the last two years had sustained periods of high water keeping islands submerged for months on end. The subsurface weed growth and exposed weed beds were sparse at best. Not the case this year. Everything is thick.

Waded the Susky Monday evening for an hour. Low and clear enough to see fish chasing my offering. Some were good sized. The problem was exactly that... they chased but didn't eat. At dusk, there were some stenos and sulphurs with a few rises. As I walked around, I did see lots of small bait fish near the shallower areas by the boulders.

Tonight I wade fished for an hour over on the Juniata. The section I chose was choked by underwater grass. spotting any smaller fish was nearly impossible due to the weed growth. a few bigger fish were seeing breaking the surface and chasing bait from time to time. I was surprised that the insect activity was so sparse but I did see a couple of hex hatch.

Caught a few smaller fish at each location and the conditions make it appear that this might be a better summer for smallies. wondering if anybody else has been out or what they've seen.

krayfish2 wrote:
The last 2 spring / early summers on the Juniata and Susky saw very high water that was muddy. This early part of summer is very different. Where the last two years had sustained periods of high water keeping islands submerged for months on end. The subsurface weed growth and exposed weed beds were sparse at best. Not the case this year. Everything is thick.

Waded the Susky Monday evening for an hour. Low and clear enough to see fish chasing my offering. Some were good sized. The problem was exactly that... they chased but didn't eat. At dusk, there were some stenos and sulphurs with a few rises. As I walked around, I did see lots of small bait fish near the shallower areas by the boulders.

Tonight I wade fished for an hour over on the Juniata. The section I chose was choked by underwater grass. spotting any smaller fish was nearly impossible due to the weed growth. a few bigger fish were seeing breaking the surface and chasing bait from time to time. I was surprised that the insect activity was so sparse but I did see a couple of hex hatch.

Caught a few smaller fish at each location and the conditions make it appear that this might be a better summer for smallies. wondering if anybody else has been out or what they've seen.

Very interesting.
I agree and think that we could be in for a good summer bass season with good river conditions and a good YOY outcome - fingers crossed. The long term forecast is for dryer and hotter conditions than normal in July and this bodes well for bass (although it's tough news for trout)

I was out on my favorite medium sized bass creek today and saw many fish including quite a few in the mid to upper teens. They were very spooky in the skinny water and I stretched a long leader and light fly to try to present to them without spooking. Some fish made a lackluster follow but few ate the fly. Definitely not aggressive fish, although it was late morning and the sun was high.

I'll also second your observations with respect to vegetation. Grass beds are already emergent and the willow grass on the gravel islands is full bloom.

Keep us informed of what you're seeing up on the Susky and J.

I've been out daily in the evenings near my house. More vegetation in places where I don't remember it, typical classic water conditions for summer, fantastic fishing, all things considered, and I'm finding more leeches than ever.

Bass have readily been taking my streamers and topwater flies. I generally will walk down and fish for about an hour each evening and have good success.

Two hours on the Swatara at Hershey on Tuesday. Not a bite. Saw two other fishermen. Both fly-fishing. The one guy didn't catch any. I didn't talk to the other one. Saw lots of small minnows.

Fingers crossed here as well! Way better conditions than the past couple of years... totally agree with the thoughts that this might be a good summer! Praying for a bumper YOY this year... seems like conditions were/are perfect for it!

Fished with stimey yesterday. Clear water, good flow, blast furnace hot and fishing that was substandard IMHO. We hooked a bunch, landed 35-ish. Most were smaller. Well floating through some very shallow flats we kept an eye peeled for fish. We spooked two Bass, four suckers and that was it. We didn't see any catfish, quillbacks or carp.

Back