Big Native Brook Trout

I will say that as far as casting cyclic rate in of itself, I have to disagree with @pcray1231 in that spin fishing always inherently has a higher casting cyclic rate. When tight-line nymphing without line coming in or going out an angler would have a higher casting cyclic rate than a conventional rod. Flies also stay where they need to in the water column longer vs a mobile lure that gets casted and has a limited strike window of when the fish will actually consume it due to it being constantly retrieved.

This thread has actually given me insight on my own thought processes and how fly anglers vs conventional anglers think.

I know I'm making some generalizations about the two but it seems to me that conventional tackle users seem to want to have a fish count, and that's the end all be all. Fly anglers like to catch fish (who doesn't?) but there seems to be a variety of people that like different aspects of it. Some want to catch a variety of species, like getting all of the indigenous trout species in the US, there's literature fanatics, rod and fly making enthusiasts, gear heads (me), casting distance people, and some that just like the seclusion of just being in nature. I know some of these attributes exist in the conventional tackle community but it's not nearly the same level as it is with fly fishers.

You should have quit while you acknowledged your mislead thoughts. No way you can euro nymp a 40' riffle in one cast and keep your lure, fly bait or whatever in the strike zone. Fishing upstream with a spinner that distance is easy and probably done in the same amount of time.

I love fly fishing, it is my preferred angling method for trout. However, I am not a purist and enjoy fishing with spinning gear a few times a year. Usually a time or 2 fishing minnows when the creeks are up, or a quick casual outing with short time.

I admire the stamina and focus that Frank can maintain while fishing. I enjoy exploring small and medium size streams and several days a year fish 5+ miles of stream over and entire day to explore. Even though I have had some incredibly productive days with the flyrod, I always take a few moments to enjoy the scenery, look at insect life under rocks, admire the beauty of a fish a few moments etc. All traits that would make it impossible for me to fish with lazer focus over an 8 hour day that is needed to put up Frank's numbers.

It's that that I couldn't fish with intent that long, I just don't find that enjoyable and extreme numbers are not what motivates me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with folks that fish that way. I could care less if someone is a dry fly purist, a euronymping trout bro, a spinner aficionado or a worm dunker... As long as they are out enjoying nature and the great sport of fishing and respecting our natural resources while doing so, that is excellent.

Silent Ocelot,

I purposely waited a couple days to respond to you because I thought it would do me good to let the hackles on my neck settle down a little before replying to your admittedly antagonistic comments. A couple days ago my hackles would have been good material for tying dry flies; today I hope they’d be better for tying wet flies.

First of all, when you wrote, “Once you reach a higher level of competency in fly fishing you will learn it is far more effective (and more fun) and ditch the conventional spinners. Not trying to diss spin fishing,” I think just about anyone reading this would assume you were, or at least had been, a spinner fisherman. So when I assumed you had first-hand knowledge about fishing with spinners I don’t think this was a stretch. Now that I know you’ve never fished with spinners it makes your comments even more infuriating, and yes, you are being disingenuous when you claim you aren’t dissing spin fishing. With this said, I’m going to try to be reasonably nice so that I don’t get kicked off of this website. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, many more intelligent than me, and despite the fact that we fish with different rods, I’ve learned a lot from being a member here.

The purpose of me asking how many trout you’ve caught with spinners was to find out when you consider a spinner angler to be a “master,” which is how you described yourself. In a follow-up post to my original comment you said that you don’t use spinners but used Rapala’s and trout magnets. You also wrote, “Most days (in 2017) I may have caught 5 or less, so my average would definitely be in the low single digits.” I don’t know anyone who would conclude from this what you have concluded about yourself.

Of course, then I find out from you that catching fish has nothing to do with your definition of “mastery.” You wrote: “When I say mastery I am not thinking in terms of fish caught cyclic rates as there are many other factors outside of an angler’s control that dictate how well an angler will do such as weather conditions and working the appropriate areas of the creek. I am talking about mastering the use of said gear, which I did.”

To me this is a very peculiar definition. Do you think members of the USA Fly Fishing team get measured in their contests by their mastery of their fly fishing gear? I think not. To me, mastery is not only knowing how to use your fishing gear well, but also how well you “perform” with it, which I admit is relative to each individual angler and the importance they place on catching trout in their overall fishing experience for the day.

This brings me to the point of why I’m spending my time replying to you, and hopefully some other beginners and seasoned fly anglers who are reading this. Think of this as Lesson 1 of Trout Fishing 101.

You wrote: “It’s a beautiful thing to witness the spin guys walking off the stream with nothing on their stringers watching me pound a trout on almost every cast (added by FrankTroutAngler: meaning with flies). I may, being antagonistic by nature, let out a chuckle as they walk by.”

You also wrote: “Fly fishing seems to have no plateau, and just when you think you have a stream dialed in, it pulls a 180 on you and you become dumbfounded. That’s the beauty (or insanity), depending on how you look at fly fishing.”

From the first comment above, I’m guessing that you consider yourself to be a master fly angler, particularly when coupled with your other comment when you were lecturing a beginner and stated, “Once you reach a higher level of competency in fly fishing you will learn…”

The second comment above is most telling. Someone who has mastered fly fishing would keep the times when they are dumbfounded, you know, when they think they have a stream dialed in and it pulls a 180, to a minimum. My guess is that if you were fishing, being a master of fly fishing gear without realizing that trout fishing mastery includes mastery of many intangibles, and a stream “pulls a 180” on you, that you would start changing flies and maybe tactics and keep pounding the water unsuccessfully for the next hour or two. You’d walk back to your vehicle thinking, “That’s the beauty of fly fishing!” All likely without learning one thing from the experience -- ever -- because you think you’re a master and what “pulled the 180” is beyond your control.

Here’s what a master fly angler would do. They would have noticed the wet Great Blue Heron tracks on the rocks right at the point where the fishing became lousy, or maybe a wet boot track indicating that someone was ahead of them putting down the trout, or maybe some fresh Common Merganser crap on a rock, or maybe that the water temperature had dropped from 46-degrees when they started to 38-degrees now due to snow melt. Maybe there would no longer be spider webs stretched across the stream. They would then adjust for this, perhaps leaving and going to another stream or going to a different section of the same stream depending on their analysis. A master fly angler would likely be able to adjust when a stream “pulls a 180.”

The master fly angler would also weigh the potential intangibles before choosing a place to go fishing. For example, they wouldn’t arrive at Penns Creek during the Green Drake hatch minutes before the beginning of the hatch because they’d know that the odds are that all of the good pools would already have been taken by other anglers, thus impacting their fishing.

Obviously, I not a fly angler, but the same principles apply to spinner angling, perhaps even more so than with fly fishing since I’m offering trout something they never see while feeding, while a fly angler is fishing with fake bait. For example, during the evening of Tuesday, January 17th, while planning the best place to fish the next day, I focused on water temperatures. Since I’ve been recording water temperatures for over forty years, I can guess very closely what the water temperature will be on a given stream given the current weather without even going to the stream.

I knew that if I went to a local freestone mountain stream that it would be somewhat high and flowing quite chilly, likely at about 36-degrees - not the best conditions, comparatively speaking. I also knew that if went to a local limestoner the water would be much warmer and thus it would be more likely that more trout would be feeding.

The next day at daybreak I began fishing on a limestone stream. The water was 45-degrees, about a degree colder than I had guessed, but still good. The fishing was okay for winter angling but nothing special. I fished 4.00 hours and caught 22 wild brown trout. I quit when I came to the beginning of a half-mile stretch that historically doesn’t fish well. From there I went to another limestone stream and caught 36 wild brown trout in 3.75 hours, including nine that were 13” or longer.

Had I instead gone to the freestone mountain stream I likely would have caught in the single digits for the day.

See how knowing more than just your “gear” is a big part of being a master fly angler? You may want to reevaluate your definition of “mastery.”

Last edited:
Ocelot and others,

You probably want to ignore fta's rant. This is a fly-fishing website, and it is unfortunate that fta sees fit to troll it and post things to irritate the website's fly-fishermen. It is unfortunate that some posters feel the need to pacify him (eg. "I'm not as good as frank...) when they post about him. That probably does stroke his ego, however.

fta probably has many admirers on some other website, perhaps "Leadslingers.com" or something like that.
Just consider the amount of time this spin-fisherman spent on his rant on this fly-fishing site concerning a pretty innocent comment that was made. Kind of sad, isn't it? You probably do want to ignore his rant.

Ocelot and others,

Just consider the amount of time this spin-fisherman spent on his rant on this fly-fishing site concerning a pretty innocent comment that was made. Kind of sad, isn't it? You probably do want to ignore his rant.
Not taking any sides, because it doesn't matter to me either way, but the way I read it, it was a series of comments that FTA was speaking to, not a single "pretty innocent comment". I think each forum member should decide on their own what they choose to view, or not.

The thread title is "Big Native Brook Trout."

Something went wrong...

The thread title is "Big Native Brook Trout."

Something went wrong...
Haha, kind of ironic isn’t it. Given all the threads Big Native Brook Trout discussions have taken over recently. The Big Native Brookies are still winning this game like 47-3.

Haha, kind of ironic isn’t it. Given all the threads Big Native Brook Trout discussions have taken over recently. The Big Native Brookies are still winning this game like 47-3.
Yes, but who cares about numbers?
;-)

Also, this is on the Beginner Forum. It must be a downer for a young, new ff enthusiast to be excoriated for his innocent comment.

Now, if someone wants to "guide" me to some big native brookies and if the fishing isn't too strenuous (I'm 73), I might be tempted to go for a couple of hours.

Ocelot and others,

You probably want to ignore fta's rant. This is a fly-fishing website, and it is unfortunate that fta sees fit to troll it and post things to irritate the website's fly-fishermen. It is unfortunate that some posters feel the need to pacify him (eg. "I'm not as good as frank...) when they post about him. That probably does stroke his ego, however.

fta probably has many admirers on some other website, perhaps "Leadslingers.com" or something like that.

I think it’s more unfortunate when some posters make assumptions about the motivations behind other posters posts.

When comparing Frank’s spin fishing results to my own, there’s no question he’s better, by a lot, if catching Trout with spinners is the objective measurement you’re going by. (I can’t think of a better one, but let me know if you can.) Nothing to pacify there, it’s completely objective. I don’t know what my lifetime average for Trout caught/day with spinners is, as I don’t have the discipline to log them in a manner detailed enough to be accurate. My guess would be that my average/day is probably like 20ish. I would also guess that this would probably put me in the top 10 or 20% of spin anglers. But you can see the nature of the gap from that to the top 1%. Again, it’s just simple objective math.

I’ll never understand why anglers are so concerned about how other anglers fish. IMO the thing I like least about FFing is the smug attitude toward other anglers that gets attributed to fly anglers. Not every individual FFer deserves being pinned with this, but collectively, as a group, we’ve earned it. At least in part, this is why I continue to spin fish sometimes. I mean I still enjoy it, but I think it also helps me keep an open mind to other anglers I encounter.

Last edited:
For the original poster: You might have some success with brook trout by using size 14 beadhead Hare's Ear Nymphs during cold weather. When the weather moderates, a size 14 Adams when there might be gray flies on the water or as an attractor fly could be useful. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is back to the topic, too.

One more thought. IF you’re willing to look past the type of rod Frank is holding, there’s some excellent information to glean from his post, whether you’re a spin, fly, bait, whatever, Trout angler…

Conditions matter. A lot. More than anything else. Even skill. And figuring out what your best option is for the current given conditions IS an important skill too. Put Frank out in the Winter freestone conditions he described above, and me on that same freestoner in July with 61 degree water temps the morning after a Tstorm dumped 2.5” inches of rain the day before, and I guarantee you I’ll catch more than him. I’m sure he’ll agree. Figuring out conditions, and when and where to fish, is the biggest thing you can do to improve your Trout catching. Period.

The three most important things for successful Trout angling (in terms of catching fish). Conditions. Conditions. Conditions.

One more thought. IF you’re willing to look past the type of rod Frank is holding, there’s some excellent information to glean from his post, whether you’re a spin, fly, bait, whatever, Trout angler…

Conditions matter. A lot. More than anything else. Even skill. And figuring out what your best option is for the current given conditions IS an important skill too. Put Frank out in the Winter freestone conditions he described above, and me on that same freestoner in July with 61 degree water temps the morning after a Tstorm dumped 2.5” inches of rain the day before, and I guarantee you I’ll catch more than him. I’m sure he’ll agree. Figuring out conditions, and when and where to fish, is the biggest thing you can do to improve your Trout catching. Period.

The three most important things for successful Trout angling (in terms of catching fish). Conditions. Conditions. Conditions.
Swattie87,

Bingo! Thanks for understanding the purpose of why I wrote what I wrote.

Others seem to have missed my paragraph that said, "This brings me to the point of why I’m spending my time replying to you, and hopefully some other beginners and seasoned fly anglers who are reading this. Think of this as Lesson 1 of Trout Fishing 101."

My purpose in replying to Silent Ocelot was to show him (and others reading my reply) how a lot of those factors that he (and likely others) considers out of his control are actually just obstacles that can be figured out. Once an angler understands these obstacles, they will become a much better angler. I thought I was providing sound advice to help people. I preach this same advice when I do my fishing seminars and people constantly tell me they had never thought of these things before and how much it has helped their enjoyment while astream.

(And yes, I do agree with you that you'd catch a lot more trout than me given the scenario mentioned above.)

This thread has taught me that spin fishermen suck. It also reminded me that I need to get fresh trilene on the spinning reels.

No disrespect Frank but you don't scare me. I challenge you to a battle royale of spin fishing. Penns creek, flow over 2200 CFS at Penns creek gauge and you must use this.....

Attachments

• download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 29
So maybe this isn’t the time time to mention this with the huge spin/fly debate that somehow started but I was out today and caught a nice 7.5 inch native Brookie, saw a bigger one. Single barbless hooks, fish kept in water the whole time except for a quick photo and released very quickly, wet hands, etc. will definitely go back and fly fish once I’m able to go to a fly shop and stock up on gear. But it also brings me to another question relating to “big native brook trout”. I was fishing another local stream in a lower section and they had a dam built on the creek that caused a pond/lake to form that looked very deep (6ft plus on the water I could see but from my bass fishing experience I’d estimate it could be over 10ft in the middle) and I was wondering if a spot like that is worth fishing and if trout, specifically big/trophy sized Brookies would live in that. The water flowing down into it is class a. Downstream I suspect there isnt a wild population. I’ll attach a photo of the pond although it’s kinda hard to get a good idea of what it actually looked like from the picture. Also I’ll show a pic of the trout I got since it’s a pretty fish
BF6F7070 0562 4A97 93A8 C5B3002901CD
F9B30FBF C5E1 4BDB 8EBD F6E7296A8129

So maybe this isn’t the time time to mention this with the huge spin/fly debate that somehow started but I was out today and caught a nice 7.5 inch native Brookie, saw a bigger one. View attachment 1641228705
Bro this is your thread, please reclaim it! 😂
Good job on catching that first brookie on the fly! I’m still trying for that myself.
What setup did you end up using?

So maybe this isn’t the time time to mention this with the huge spin/fly debate that somehow started but I was out today and caught a nice 7.5 inch native Brookie, saw a bigger one. Single barbless hooks, fish kept in water the whole time except for a quick photo and released very quickly, wet hands, etc. will definitely go back and fly fish once I’m able to go to a fly shop and stock up on gear. But it also brings me to another question relating to “big native brook trout”. I was fishing another local stream in a lower section and they had a dam built on the creek that caused a pond/lake to form that looked very deep (6ft plus on the water I could see but from my bass fishing experience I’d estimate it could be over 10ft in the middle) and I was wondering if a spot like that is worth fishing and if trout, specifically big/trophy sized Brookies would live in that. The water flowing down into it is class a. Downstream I suspect there isnt a wild population. I’ll attach a photo of the pond although it’s kinda hard to get a good idea of what it actually looked like from the picture. Also I’ll show a pic of the trout I got since it’s a pretty fishView attachment 1641228704View attachment 1641228705
thats a huge yes. Fish that pond.

Gorgeous fish.

I need to get out on the brookie streams. Its tough fishing em in the winter because freestoners that are colder in the winter have the eggs sit in the redd for a while. Sometimes those eggs don’t hatch till early April. Their at risk to crunch under the boot so I have to fish em basically without walking on any gravel cause ya can’t tell where the eggs are. But i can usually do ok working from the bank with a long rod

Also PFBC interactive trout map is made with summer survey data if you see alot of blue and green lines running into the same body of water give it a try even if its small mouth water in the summer.

Ocelot and others,

rrt:

Are you okay? I’m honestly starting to worry about you. A few years ago you wrote the long defamatory rant about me to a friend of mine, and now this?

I’m shocked that you’d make the comments you did here. You of all people, particularly since you’re one of the people who have used my advice in the past. You told me so. In fact, I was thinking about you the entire time I was replying to Silent Ocelot.

Don’t you remember about ten years ago when you and I were discussing what we do when good fishing action suddenly stops? You said that you just keep fishing and try to figure it out (which is probably what beginner Silent Ocelot would do). I told you that I typically quit and go to another section of the same stream or to a new stream altogether since someone or something (like a Great Blue Heron) is probably ahead of me putting down all of the trout. You told me you had never thought of that before. You even wrote about this in one of your magazine articles shortly after our discussion, though of course you didn’t give me credit for enlightening you. Don’t you remember? So now you criticize me for trying to help other anglers? Nice.

When I wrote my reply to Silent Ocelot I was even going to use you as an example of someone I helped but decided against it because I didn’t want to embarrass you, a lifetime fly angler who up until that point hadn’t figured out one of the simplest things. Instead, I mentioned paying attention for wet boot tracks when I replied to Silent Ocelot.

The reason I spent so much time on my reply to Silent Ocelot is because I was trying to help him and other fly anglers.

By the way, you do realize when you wrote, “fta probably has many admirers on some other website, perhaps ‘Leadslingers.com’ or something like that” that many people will interpret this as a fly-fishing snob comment, no? This isn’t the first time you’ve written something like this. I’m seeing a trend.

I guess you’re just upset because you probably went to that cold mountain freestoner that I avoided because I knew the water temperature would be unfavorable, choosing instead a warmer limestoner where I had a decent day.

(By the way, shortly after you wrote that defamatory rant about me I checked with the POWA to see if I could get you kicked out of the organization for writing that bunch of lies about me. Unfortunately, they said they couldn’t since it was a private matter. I’m sure I at least put them on notice.)

I hope this wasn’t too long for you.

thats a huge yes. Fish that pond.

Gorgeous fish.

I need to get out on the brookie streams. Its tough fishing em in the winter because freestoners that are colder in the winter have the eggs sit in the redd for a while. Sometimes those eggs don’t hatch till early April. Their at risk to crunch under the boot so I have to fish em basically without walking on any gravel cause ya can’t tell where the eggs are. But i can usually do ok working from the bank with a long rod

Also PFBC interactive trout map is made with summer survey data if you see alot of blue and green lines running into the same body of water give it a try even if its small mouth water in the summer.
I use that map to find most of my spots, other spots are just watching YouTube videos of other peoples secret spots and then spending an hour on google maps street view finding landmarks near where they were fishing until I figure out what creek it is lol. I’ll definitely fish that pond more thoroughly, me and my friend fished it for like 5 minutes and had one tiny fish (could have been a trout, maybe not) follow our lures before moving on because we had a good 2+ mile section of creek to explore

Big ones are out there and now through spring some of them will be using the bigger water to put the feed bag on. Let us know how ya do next time ya go out looking for them.

Back