BIG Invasive

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Here's an invasive species that would put Fred into another league as an Invasive FFing angler. but gotta get a bigger [d]boat[/d] kayak, Fred!

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/fishing/invasive-species-fish-found-in-florida/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR36pSFWFPdI_ZccK1pPKfGtaCCv5SY5CbktRIqYNzF6HbObkimvjtGOL7E

It's hard to believe how people can be so dense as to plant all these invasive species of fish, animals and plants in our waters and on our land.

This is globalization. There is no stopping it. Arapaima belong in the Amazon. Brown Trout belong in Europe and western Asia. I mean, things are going to keep happening like this.

Fish got to big for some idiots fish tank, and they let it go. That's how we have snakeheads. They shouldn't sell these animals here in the U.S.. :-D

hunter1 wrote:
Fish got to big for some idiots fish tank, and they let it go. That's how we have snakeheads. They shouldn't sell these animals here in the U.S.. :-D

I agree this is the likely explanation.

Another possible explanation is a bucket release by unethical angling enthusiasts who figured it wouldn't hurt to add another tropical fish to south Florida's already wide collection of invasive fishes. There has been some recent adventure FFing publicity around arapaima and this could make the fish attractive as an illegal introduction.

I didn't see in the article that they have become established(?). This may have been a single fish from a release. May be too soon to say that they have become established. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

Jifigz, Jonah belonged in Nievah......

afishinado wrote:
It's hard to believe how people can be so dense as to plant all these invasive species of fish,

And here the fish comm.. and others states do it every year.

Solitariolupo wrote:
And here the fish comm.. and others states do it every year.

The PFBC stocks fishes that were introduced into PA (or watersheds) decades ago... or, for the most part, over a century ago.

The PFBC is not introducing non-native fishes these days.

That’s just one way to look at it but still they are invasive fish.

Solitariolupo wrote:
That’s just one way to look at it but still they are invasive fish.

Your are wise beyond your years . Just because the state does it doesn't make it any better . The only difference for a fish species that has the invasive label to one that is called introduce is that the state put it there not the average Joe doesn't make it any better. And you cant pick and choose which one to stand by .

If they take hold in Florida you can be sure that I will be shopping for a 14 wt to catch one out of my kayak . :pint:

I'll keep all these notions about the equally undesirable nature of all invasive fish in mind the next time I read about a 400 lb. brown trout that can survive out of water for a full day grabbing small children off their bicycles along the banks of Spring Creek.

Until then, I'll continue to believe that there are easily recognizable differences in desirability between invasive fish...

Yeah, it is what it is. I'm kind of with Fred. The state of Florida purposefully brought peacock bass in because they would bring DOLLARS. They haven't been all that successful, but what's the difference. Smallies aren't native to b the susky. Largemouths aren't native to our many impoundments. But, I'm not complaining. It is what it is.

jifigz wrote:
Yeah, it is what it is. I'm kind of with Fred. The state of Florida purposefully brought peacock bass in because they would bring DOLLARS. They haven't been all that successful, but what's the difference. Smallies aren't native to b the susky. Largemouths aren't native to our many impoundments. But, I'm not complaining. It is what it is.

True enough, any state fish & game depts should know better.

But I totally disagree with any Tom, **** or Harry dumping fish in a river or lake to stock whatever they want.

The amount of invasive plants, animals and fish that have invaded our land and water is ridiculous.

Just because mistakes were made in the past does make continuing to do it right.

As they say "two wrongs don't make a right".

Afish, we are so used to those fish, though. You know? If I look at a lake around here (or an impoundment, really) I'm expecting there a to be largemouth, bluegill, crappie, etc. If we didn't have these universal fishing opportunities then we wouldn't have the comraderie behind chasing the fish, discussing tactics, etc. Some of these fish have been here so long I'm certainly thankful for them and don't want things to change

Certainly seems like it could be bad news if they're established. But am I the only one who doesn't find it "ugly as sin?" Pretty cool looking fish, in my opinion.

Now and then someone catches a peruana in the Delaware around Trenton. Usually during shad season.

Back