Big Fat Stockers

JackM

JackM

Staff member
They taste terrible. Why? Because they are bred to grow rapidly.

Couldn't answer that they'd taste bad, it's been over 40 years since I've eaten a stocked Trout.lol Last Trout I ate was a 14 inch yellow bellied Brown Trout that tasted good.

A big fat stockie is more fun to catch than a tiny slender one, right? And they don't taste THAT BAD! Kind of flavorless, really.

I spend a lot of my time now catching big fat stockies. I release them though so I can catch them another day.

Canoetripper wrote:
I spend a lot of my time now catching big fat stockies. I release them though so I can catch them another day.

Yes, me too. But every now and then I'll keep a fish here or there of any variety of species.

You gotta squirt more lemon on the big fattys.

Fillet them fat boys and girls up and bread em in the air fryer. Add some seasoning and lemon and its all good. Nothing wrong with keeping a stockie or two for the table and I do it often as my wife and I both enjoy a trout dinner.

Stocked trout have a swamp water thing going on in regard to taste. I've noticed the same flavor in farmed catfish.

Panfish are easy enough to catch, and plentiful so I keep those a couple times a year and enjoy them. Cleaning 30+ bluegill is a pain, but at least I know they won't taste weird. Perch and crappie are usually big enough that cleaning goes quick if I can catch more than a few of them.

Back