Big cats on the fly...... it's coming this year

krayfish2

krayfish2

The Susky is starting to look good. Won't be long before it is prime shape (fingers crossed). If the bass fishing is spotty like last summer, I will renew my quest for channel cat over 10# and for a flathead over 15# on the fly rod. Hopefully I will have to post pictures of success in the next 8 weeks.

You'll need a big old bluegill or bullhead fly!

I've been thinking about flat heads too lately and am jazzed for the summer warm water season.

Good luck. I'm interested to hear how you made out. A 10 lb channel cattie is a high bar.

I'd like to catch any river catfish on a fly rod. I might try that this year.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I'd like to catch any river catfish on a fly rod. I might try that this year.

Channel cats are pretty easy on a fly if you get 'em when they're in the mood. Most of my catties have come on streamers and large nymphs fished dead drift. When I have sight fished at catties I rarely have any luck - most of the ones I get FFing are caught blind casting. They like current and most of the ones I get on flies are in faster water.

As for flatheads, we've discussed on this board FFing for them many times and I think there have been a pic or three uploaded by FFers, although I have never caught one on a fly or seen it done.
I don't know of anyone consistently getting them on flies.

Thanks for the tips, Dave! It sounds like a dead drifted woolly bugger might be the best strategy.

I’ve never targeted channel cats but have accidentally caught a few on Clouser minnows and many more during the white fly hatch.

Same here with the faster water I've picked up a few on clousers always a blast in heavy current

Mwheaps32 wrote:
Same here with the faster water I've picked up a few on clousers always a blast in heavy current

Are you on the bottom with these offerings?

I have done well with an conehead black wooley bugger size 2 with rubber legs stripped upstream with in short strips .

Baron wrote:

Are you on the bottom with these offerings?

Mostly, but not always.
When they are on the feed, they will eat up in the water column. I had one blast a buzzed spinnerbait on the James River once.

If you're targeting them, I'd try to get my fly down low and I have caught many more on the dead drift or hopped than when the fly is swung or stripped in.

If you are an avid floater of summer rivers, one the best times to get a feel for a river is to float at mid-day when the water is low and clear and the sun bright and high (admittedly not the best way to catch fish).

In these conditions, especially if you can stand up with your polarized glasses, you can get a very good feel for the structure and habitat of the river. You will see a lot of fish and subsurface life and get a better understanding of where different species hang out.

Keep an eye out for catties as they are numerous in many of our mid sized to larger rivers (I see them much less frequently in small creeks). After awhile, you will note that catties relate to woody cover. When you drift over a submerged log, pay careful attention to detail and you will start to see catfish' tails sticking out from under them. They also like river grass clumps. After awhile, you will also note that catties tend to school up in groups of three to maybe a dozen fish, usually adults in the same size range. When you see such a group in faster current, they are likely on patrol for food. Groups that are laid up in cover or on a sandy bottom pot-hole are less likely to eat. But they stick together. If you catch a cattie, keep fishing that spot for awhile as you may get additional fish.

I remember one evening at Harper's Ferry where I was fishing a chute of fast water between two giant boulders drifting a crayfish pattern for bass... and caught cattie after cattie. There was a group of them laid up in that current like trout waiting for nymphs.

I often caught Channels with midwater smallie offerings and down riggers in the Delaware. These were usually 2lb fish, perfect for the table, caught just before the end of Shad Season. While I don't fish spinning gear much anymore I was surprised to catch them in mid-depths. That is where I'll try for them this year.

Standing up and looking down with Polaroids for long distances in my Driftboat last summer I realized that in the bright of day that the mid-river mid-channel is empty. Occasionally a small smallie but otherwise empty. I was shocked because for 40 years guess where I was spending my time. I moved into the west side of this North/south river (Delaware north of Easton) and there they all were, in the shade, Tigers, Panfish and Bass. All the shade and out of the sun. They also saw me and didn't want any of my free gifts. This was very instructive to me. No catfish were seen and I'm sure, from snorkeling memories years ago, The cats tend to hold in cracks and around boulders wherever.....
I could see the bottom during my whole drifts from Sandt's Eddy to Easton. Very Clear water with eagles and osprey overhead I bet those fish had the willies, or at least the hee-bee gee-bee's.

Attachments

• IMG_4426.jpeg
    IMG_4426.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 4
I've taken channels from a clouser bumped on the bottom to a popper on top. I will agree with Dave that you seem to find them and surprisingly fast water for a catfish. It's just a matter of hitting a few sections where I've had catfish success and a numbers game. The only nice-sized Flathead I've taken was actually on a stick bait just under the surface and in fast water. As long as I can put something large and visible like a D&D in front of flatties, I think I can get one to hit it.

I am sure it can be done. Have caught many Channel Catfish on White Flies on top. Have caught them on Clouser Minnow underneath. Never got a Flathead on fly. Have caught a few on rubber baits on spinning rod. Would love see river come back strong but I sincerely have doubts. Lower river is dead for most species for several years now. Been out in my area in boat at least 6 times this year and not a bump. Plenty of Flatheads to be found though.

You guys are getting me pumped up to go out and target some catties

I don't think I've been on the river since early September 2019. The nephews have been out catfishing for a few weeks.... and been doing quite well. I spoke to my neighbor the other day and he fishes 4 days a week minimum. For him, the bass fishing was so bad last year that he quit fishing by the end of June. He switched to chasing musky. He has 42 musky already this year!!! He decided to try bass the other night and got 28 in 2 hours which makes me think the river.... might (stressing might) be better this year. If not, I'm going to hook up with the neighbor and get a few musky

krayfish2 wrote:
He has 42 musky already this year!!! ... If not, I'm going to hook up with the neighbor and get a few musky

Wow!
Check your PM Krayfish.

Recon float on Saturday following some heavy storms Friday night. The river was surprisingly low and not to off color except the right on the one bank. Caught a few bass ranging from tiny to three pounds. Did not do much fishing but took the dog for a float/swim.

On the catfish topic, the nephews continue to clean up including their biggest on Thursday night of 34" length / 24" girth. This morning, spoke to the guy putting in sidewalk ramps in neighborhood. He fishes a few of the same stretches I do and shed a little light on the catfish quest. He slow trolls for walleye using bright / flashy baits. He gets flatheads every pass or two. That makes me feel like a big cat on a large profile flashy streamer is very possible

Back