Big Brown Brainchild

N

NotLong4PA

Well i haven't done much fly fishing since spring due to unforseen circumstances..... and subsequently haven't been on here.

I've been fishing but not by way of the fly.

Due to the recent drainage of Beltzville lake, the Pohopoco has seen High waters, and more recently extremely low.

I made a trip to the flume the other day to scope the fish I'd been told were in the chute, when much to my suprise after lots of lookin an extremely large brown, 25+ came to the top to take a midge. I haven't yet fished.

Now this spot is quite deep and i watched him go right back to the bottom. But now how to hook him. Well with no fly gear it was time to think.

So today i decided to try and make a craw. Lots of food has been washing out with all the level changes in the lake, and let's just say midgin ain't my thing. What better to temp him then that. And if it don't work i'll go up in the lake and try for sum smallies.

So here's what i came up with, let me know what ya think.

attempting upload

Attachments

• craw1.jpg
    craw1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2
  • craw2.jpg
    craw2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
Looks good. Is it heavy? Crayfish flies always seem better when tied with large dumbell eyes. If midging isn't your thing, why not try a larger dry fly? The fish is definitely keyed on surface stuff. I'd try to temp him up with a big cricket or hopper pattern and if this doesn't work than try the crayfish. Good luck!

Yes it's weighted quite heavily, tungsten cone, and lots of lead wraps to beef up the body and get it down. I didn't get over there today as originally planned, too windy. But I plan to nymph it and maybe just tack a midge behind that. The craw was pretty much a thought about what i could try for that big fella if the other options fail, then make my way up to the lake.

Spot Burn?

Lol Becker that was my first thought but I figured I better just leave it alone. My thoughts on catching one of those pigs would be to try and catch them on nymphs or if you seem them eating of the top a dry will be your best bet. Those fish see a pretty fair amount of big flashy stuff and might be wise to it.

I could tell you many more stories about where you speak of but I shall not and never post on this subject again lol

Back