Beyond Frustrated

I've spent the last week in Maine and New Hampshire fishing for trout. Water levels have been great :)

Though I agree with Jifigz... I'm hoping the levels on the Susky get good and low and consistent by the time I get home next weekend... I'm ready for some bass.

Glad you enjoyed your trip Raftman.

Canoetripper, catfishing is really, really fun. I used to do an annual 2 night float down from my house to the top of the Lewistown narrows and it was awesome. Fishing and swimming by day and fire building and catfishing by night. Good times.

This has been a good year for trout up in my corner of the state. Of course, that's with the understanding that "good" is a relative thing. NW Pa. wild trout fishing is kind of like a bathtub full of 80 degree water. Enough to get the job done, but a bit shy of memorable. There are exceptions but that's the general run of it. All in all, the high flows have allowed it to be a slightly above average year for both stocked and wild trout in the places I fish.

My smallmouth streams are just now falling into shape and the forecast for this week is mainly dry, which is welcome. This has been the fishing I've missed due to the weather. I'll probably go three days this week, mostly because I can. It's good to be retired, even if it is the matinee for what comes next, incapacitation followed by 6 strong young men carrying you bodily to Church whether you feel like you need to go or not..

My saving grace this year and one of the main reasons I retired back here to southern Erie County (other than family) has been the largemouth (and panfish for that matter..) fishing in the small lakes up here in Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland. It's been pretty good. I was out this morning in the inflatable yak and picked up about two dozen bass between 10 and 16 inches. Poppers early, then Hud's Bushwhackers stripped along the weed lines and then, once the sun got high, conehead Estaz worm flies fished on a sink tip.

I'm ready for creek bass fishing, but all in all, I can't complain.

The Juniata is down at a good level but it is still super muddy. It is rather strange that the flows are now as low as they are and the color is still so stained.

On a side note I just stopped and checked the temp of my favorite trout stream. The way lower end of this stream read 74°. It really heated up in the last 2 weeks even with good amounts of rainfall yet and higher than normal water levels. Weird thing is is that several years ago when we had that terrible drought the stream was only 72° in the worst of it at nearly the same location..

The north branch has been mud since early April. The west Branch has been in decent shape a few times but is pretty stained now. It's definitely not fun fishing muddy water especially when the flows have been at a good level. I shouldn't complain either because this spring was great at times I caught several large bass and had some big number days on feeder creeks to the river. The smallmouth fishing in this state is ridiculously good right now.

We floated the Susquehanna this weekend. It was very stained and we each only caught 6 or 7 a piece for the whole weekend. Spin fished. Was frustrating but weather was nice and the scenery beautiful. I wouldn't not go because of the water conditions. Get out there and have some fun.

The extreme conditions have forced me to explore some new skinny water that produced some stocked trout.
So that was productive.

The high, stained water also led me to throwing my first DollyLlama with a tug to hand on my second cast.
So that was fun and a growing opportunity.

All that said,... the nagging ritual of being so dependent on checking USGS water gauges has really started to **** me off.
Thanks for the vent here.

Floated Susky yesterday with the gal and Cody the fishing dog. Pretty slow but did find some schools of them. When we caught one...we got 3-5 more right away. Overall, still high, muddy and very slow. Will be a while before it clears up

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_185510_01.jpg
    IMG_20180708_185510_01.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3
BruceC2C wrote:
The extreme conditions have forced me to explore some new skinny water that produced some stocked trout.
So that was productive.

The high, stained water also led me to throwing my first DollyLlama with a tug to hand on my second cast.
So that was fun and a growing opportunity.

All that said,... the nagging ritual of being so dependent on checking USGS water gauges has really started to **** me off.
Thanks for the vent here.

I guess you haven't been fishing long enough to remember the days when we didn't have the internet to check stream levels.
I've often driven long distances, only to find high, unfishable water. And that I just wasted a lot of time and gas.

I'm very happy to be able to check usgs gauges - and know that I'm not making long trips for nothing.
If things aren't suitable where I want to, I'm fine with changing plans - or even canceling fishing until conditions improve.

I fished the North Branch near Tunkhannock yesterday. The water level was up just a bit, but so cloudy. Visibility around 12". Almost chocolate milk. We scared up around a dozen, but most came unbuttoned. Hardly any love at all on the flies. Both guys fishing with me switched to spin gear and started banging decent fish on spinnerbaits. Flash and vibration was the key.

The flow is really just on the high side of average for this time of year, but I guess the rainfall we have gotten lately has been in the form of thunderstorms that put down a lot of rainfall in a short amount of time has the rivers really stirred up right now.

Anyway, the forecast is for a bit of a respite from the stormy weather and heat. Hopefully more normal flows and less stormy weather will allow things to settle down into some better smallie fishing conditions in the coming weeks.

The Juniata was actually nearly perfect today. Water has dropped a lot, it had a nice greenish tint to it, and the fish were hungry. I slammed a bunch of fish on streamers. The best part was there was a young kid a few hundred yards up river that I could hear yelling "grandma, grandma I got one. Get the camera!" Always good to hear young kids get so excited about catching a fish.

Nice!

Tom,

Not sure where all the turbidity is coming from but I haven't had more than 12" clarity at any time this season. Hopefully it drops and clears soon. The Juniata looks like it's going in the right direction too.

I may try to take another look on Thursday closer to the Juniata.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I may try to take another look on Thursday closer to the Juniata.

The Juniata is quite literally in perfect shape right now. If I didn't have a meeting tonight to attend I'd be back down there slamming more fish I'm sure. Instead I'll probably be doing some early morning fishing.

Back