Beware of these Facebook scams

My latest peeve is people requiring signatures upon delivery. I get it that people like to cover themselves (which is a sound business practice) but I live in a relatively rural area and I am seldom at home so having to sign for a package just becomes a hassle which sometimes involves me having to go to the post office to retrieve a package.

I live in a rural area and also have a problem with the signature thing but probably for different reasons...

It is almost always a requirement when receiving items from overseas. As I speak I have fishing tackle coming from Japan that I will have to sign for and I am always scrambling when they are supposed to arrive on a Saturday or a day when my wife is working from home.

I can only use the excuse, "It was just some fly tying feathers I bought from Billy Skilton" so many times... ;)

I've sold dozens of fly fishing items here and on a few other fishing sites. I've never had a problem. If it is going to be a face to face I chose a public place and bring a bodyguard.

As I said earlier, there are other tipoffs in that ad that indicate it is fraudulent. Here are a couple more fraud Indicators:

The pictures in the ad are all stock pictures copied off the internet. You generally want to see pictures of the actual item that is being sold. The more the better.

Facebook, like EBay, includes a seller rating/feedback system. Even though this supposed Wiggins character has been on Facebook for a number of years, and has many new items listed for sale there, where you would normally expect to see a seller rating (shown right below his name), there is no rating/feedback for that guy.

Want to buy a different Fishpond net from a different guy for only $58.00? (Or maybe even get it for $25.00 if you make him an offer he can’t refuse.). It’s being offered for sale right now on Facebook.
And there are lots more fly fishing items being offered for sale there too at unbelievable prices…can you believe it?

IMG 3345

Great marketing IMO....

Curtis Wiggins III sounds like the name of a older gentleman that has too much money and too many toys. Money is not important bc he has so much of it. This man has a tendency to sell his quality gear at low prices because, well.....He's Curtis Wiggins III and has more money than brains :)

I've met human guys like this before and I'll admit, I like to take advantage of their low pricing. First hand and not online of course.

I've sold dozens of fly fishing items here and on a few other fishing sites. I've never had a problem. If it is going to be a face to face I chose a public place and bring a bodyguard.
It seems like I’m buying or selling items nearly every day or two. Some are for myself, and others are for one of my son’s, for my wife, or others. At one time, I had a 100% feedback rating on EBay in excess of 10,000, but I’m not as active there now as I had been.

These days, whenever possible, I like to do some background checking on the person I’m selling the item to. You can often find out a lot of this information online. Then, if I’m selling an item and delivering it to them in person (versus shipping it to them) I also often ask to meet in a public place. The parking lot of our local police station is my favorite place, but I’ve also met in the parking lots of Walmarts, Sheetz gas stations, and even a local Sporting goods store - all of which, hopefully, had good, working cameras.

Depending on the item I’m selling, and the person I’m selling to, I may also take a bodyguard with me. (After years of fishing in MT, you learn that some types of bodyguards are more effective than others.) 😊

What is this Facebook that you speak of?
You aren’t the guy who’s selling those fancy pheasant tails on Facebook Marketplace are you? If so, did they happen to come from Cabela’s mounts on the wall? 😊

IMG 3348

lol facebook. at my old age of 35 i am happy to say i do no social media what so ever minus fishing forums like this one. after all an online forum is a form of social media. everything else to much drama. and at my old age of 35 i still prefer phone calls over texts. my wife and i call each other far more then text. why spend time typing a long winded text when a phone call can last less then a min. i always say that i wish we never left the flip phone era. flip phones were nice to call but to much of a PIA to text or email. but like everything in life.

to each their own and enjoy what you like doing.

I just saw that a guy who calls himself Curtis Wiggins III has listed a number of new Fishpond items, and many other items, for sale on Facebook Marketplace at very attractive prices. He even shows some of the items‘ locations as Ronks, PA, but of course they aren’t available there for pickup, you’ll have to have them shipped to you (don’t hold your breath!)

Don‘t fall for these scams in case you happen to come across them.

View attachment 1641231972
View attachment 1641231973
Dear mt-flyfisher,

I think online postings need a "for realz" button. It needs to be accessible to buyers and sellers both. Sort of Caveat Emptor for the stupid and gullible.

Honestly, in the last 20 years I've bought and sold many thousands of dollars' worth of merchandise online via auctions and message boards.

Not once did I pay for anything and not receive what was pictured, nor did I ever have anything I sold disputed as to how it was represented or refused.

If it looks too good to be true, I'm certain it is, and I keep on scrolling. Think before you bid, Caveat Emptor once again.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I have had a few bad experiences on Facebook. I got a product but it was not as advertised. I have had no problem dealing with people on this site when I post things for sale.

I have a bridge for sale, anyone interested? ;)

Back