Beware of these Facebook scams

mt_flyfisher

mt_flyfisher

I just saw that a guy who calls himself Curtis Wiggins III has listed a number of new Fishpond items, and many other items, for sale on Facebook Marketplace at very attractive prices. He even shows some of the items‘ locations as Ronks, PA, but of course they aren’t available there for pickup, you’ll have to have them shipped to you (don’t hold your breath!)

Don‘t fall for these scams in case you happen to come across them.

IMG 3342

IMG 3343

Have you tried sending Curtis a message that you were interested in the items, picking them up and paying cash?

As a person who sells equipment from time to time, I always list it with a shipping price so anyone can buy it, but you can bet your bottom dollar i would rather have a local pick it up and pay cash.

That is how bad USPS and other shippers have messed up my transactions through the years.

The only way I have ever done or would ever do a face-to-face pick up is with someone I positively know or could vet properly in a VERY public place at a VERY public time.

I did it only once when I was selling mounted tires on eBay and in that case I met the guy at a gas station miles from my house at the pumps with protection on my hip...

Even then I'd rather just eat the freight, offer to use PayPal or nothing or just forget the deal and be safe.

Doing anything else is asking to become a statistic...

Have you tried sending Curtis a message that you were interested in the items, picking them up and paying cash?

As a person who sells equipment from time to time, I always list it with a shipping price so anyone can buy it, but you can bet your bottom dollar i would rather have a local pick it up and pay cash.

That is how bad USPS and other shippers have messed up my transactions through the years.

Yes I did, on a couple Fishpond items, and didn’t get any reply. That didn’t surprise me.

However, there are several indicators in these ads that they are scams. The first one is that there is no local pick up option. The second one is that the real Curtis Wiggins III lives in NC, according to his Facebook profile, not in or near Lancaster county. A third indicator, on top of the already low asking price, is the option (see the ad) that that you can make an offer for an even lower price (offer $50 on the net, for example) and I expect it would be immediately accepted. Another indicator is that if you looked at the actual ad for the net you’d see that Wiggins (or whoever is actually behind the ad) has 2 of these new Fishpond nets for sale.

There are even more indicators that these ads are scams, but probably the biggest single indicators are that there is no local pickup option and the prices that are too good to be true.

The only way I have ever done or would ever do a face-to-face pick up is with someone I positively know or could vet properly in a VERY public place at a VERY public time.

I did it only once when I was selling mounted tires on eBay and in that case I met the guy at a gas station miles from my house at the pumps with protection on my hip...

Even then I'd rather just eat the freight, offer to use PayPal or nothing or just forget the deal and be safe.

The fly fishing community locally is pretty small.
It isn't all that hard to vet someone, already know who they are or know someone that knows them.

On general items, I agree

Last edited:
Yeah, I still have flies ordered in 2020 that are to this day are still in USPS purgatory. I'm paranoid and just don't trust anyone so I'd rather do business in person but it's unlikely given the probability of people who want to buy stuff that are within driving distance.

I will say I have had a good experience with FEDEX and do business with them exclusively with shipping out goods. In fact my confidence with them is so high I'm not worried if I lose the receipt with the tracking number on it (although having it around does give me peace of mind). Not putting in a plug for FEDEX, just stating my experience, YMMV.

My latest peeve is people requiring signatures upon delivery. I get it that people like to cover themselves (which is a sound business practice) but I live in a relatively rural area and I am seldom at home so having to sign for a package just becomes a hassle which sometimes involves me having to go to the post office to retrieve a package.

When I do a face to face transaction I find it best to adopt Russel Crowe's persona and dress from 3:10 to Yuma. Ain't no one wanna mess with the Hand of God!

Yeah, I still have flies ordered in 2020 that are to this day are still in USPS purgatory. I'm paranoid and just don't trust anyone so I'd rather do business in person but it's unlikely given the probability of people who want to buy stuff that are within driving distance.

I will say I have had a good experience with FEDEX and do business with them exclusively with shipping out goods. In fact my confidence with them is so high I'm not worried if I lose the receipt with the tracking number on it (although having it around does give me peace of mind). Not putting in a plug for FEDEX, just stating my experience, YMMV.

My latest peeve is people requiring signatures upon delivery. I get it that people like to cover themselves (which is a sound business practice) but I live in a relatively rural area and I am seldom at home so having to sign for a package just becomes a hassle which sometimes involves me having to go to the post office to retrieve a package.
I'm with you on FedX.

My only complaint about them isn't getting my package. It's the manner of aggressiveness they have while delivering my packages.

I think I've almost been killed by a FedX truck over a dozen times. 🤣

Yes I did, on a couple Fishpond items, and didn’t get any reply. That didn’t surprise me.

However, there are several indicators in these ads that they are scams. The first one is that there is no local pick up option. The second one is that the real Curtis Wiggins III lives in NC, according to his Facebook profile, not in or near Lancaster county. A third indicator, on top of the already low asking price, is the option (see the ad) that that you can make an offer for an even lower price (offer $50 on the net, for example) and I expect it would be immediately accepted. Another indicator is that if you looked at the actual ad for the net you’d see that Wiggins (or whoever is actually behind the ad) has 2 of these new Fishpond nets for sale.

There are even more indicators that these ads are scams, but probably the biggest single indicators are that there is no local pickup option and the prices that are too good to be true.
Yeah hearing all that it certainly sounds like a scam.
Shame on Wiggins

When I do a face to face transaction I find it best to adopt Russel Crowe's persona and dress from 3:10 to Yuma. Ain't no one wanna mess with the Hand of God!

I sold a used Fishpond net awhile back to a guy from Ronks, or there about, as I recall. You don’t suppose he’s calling himself Curtis Wiggins III and trying to resell that net now and calling it new, do you?

I think I've almost been killed by a FedX truck over a dozen times. 🤣
Well bud, there's a reason they usually exceed their estimated shipping times. If I'm so unaware of my surroundings that I get clocked by I delivery truck I deserve it. Anything to get my new posh gear quicker...

I sold a used Fishpond net awhile back to a guy from Ronks, or there about, as I recall. You don’t suppose he’s calling himself Curtis Wiggins III and trying to resell that net now and calling it new, do you?
It was me.

Well bud, there's a reason they usually exceed their estimated shipping times. If I'm so unaware of my surroundings that I get clocked by I delivery truck I deserve it. Anything to get my new posh gear quicker...
Oh , I don't think me being run off into the passing lane on the Turnpike while praying someone isn't in it, as a double trailer FedX truck just barreling out instead of merging is me being "unaware."

Some of those on ramps at the speed they are going, they suddenly appear.

Last edited:
Doubtful

Oh l, I don't think me be run off into the passing lane on the Turnpike while praying someone isn't in it, as a double trailer FedX truck just comes out instead of merging is me being "unaware."
Sorry, I didn't quite understand your experience. I envisioned you walking into a street without looking. Yeah, that is scary, scary for me too because my car has air in the brakes and no ABS. I am used to how it brakes though and can judge what the car can and won't be able to pull off. It's a 2,400 lb. plastic can and if I collide dead on I'm toast, well not really because Saturn's have a good crumple zone, quite good cars to crash actually considering this is my second one (ask me how I know). I have learned in driving that sometimes the shoulder is the place to be, and I will sometimes make it my personal road in heavy traffic.

Back