Best Winter Flies

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Taking out my new fly rod for a test run tomorrow. Any recommendations on good flies I can use for this time of year? Also, are San Juans good at all?

I would not recommend taking a new fly rod out with the temps were about to get. Your just asking to break the tip off with the ice build up on the guides. I would wait for some nicer weather.

Keep an eye on the ice, but I wouldn't say you should stay in and not fish just because of it if you really want to go.

Fly selection-wise, I'd probably go with egg patterns, san juan worms, buggers, and small nymphs.

Brassies and copper johns.

midges, esp. zebra: black & red

I didn't mean don't go out because of the weather. The only thing that has ever stopped me from going out is frozen waterways. That being said, I have broken a brand new rod because due to ice on the guides. Just be careful!

I agree with the others who said be carefull with that new rod in nasty weather. I hope you bought one with a good warranty otherwise.

As far as fles go, I have a few I go to in the coldest weather.

-standard zebra midges in black and grey
-little black stonefly patterns
-rubberleg, beadhead pheasant tails sz 16/18 go small
-hare's ears, both beaded and beadless

-I have my own midge pattern... not really a midge, but I was kicking butt with it when I was in PA last month. Take a sz 16-18 midge or emerger hook, put on a brass bead 1.5mm, place an amber translucent glass bead behind it. Tie in a good strand of herl and silver wire. wrap the herl then wrap the wire. Finish with a few hitches and cement.

I had a 30 fish day in DEC on that alone.

Don't know what you prefer to throw but don't rule out some larger streamers if big browns are around. I like large sculpins and some of the Kelly Galloup patterns. This depends on what rod and line you plan on using.

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
Also, are San Juans good at all?

Yep.

(And what the folks above have posted)

Small eggs, in 18 and 20, Sucker spawn in 16 and 18, small Pheasant tails 18-22, zebra midges in black and red, san juans in 14-18, pink and red. Stoneflies live 3 years in a stream before they hatch, so if theres no other bugs in the water at that time moving, then stoneflies are always my go to top fly on a double nymph rig, Either a golden or black stone nymph, in 8-12. Also, Pats Rubber Leg stone has been a killer for me. Im not sure why, so simple to tie and the rubber legs really give it some movement. As for dries, Midges, Small Black and Brown stones, and also Olives in 18-24. Its getting to be that time that bugs will start to move around again, usually end of Feb and early march you may see some stones and olives on nicer days. Good Luck!-Kev

7 degrees on my way to work this morning. Anyone attempting to fly fish today is crazy.

I thought about it, saw the "5" on my phone's weather app, and rolled over.

Back