Best waders under $200.00

I also had good luck with Cabelas Dry plus. I patched them twice due to thorns, but the seams held out. What finally killed them was that I wore through the neoprene heel.
I tried Remington's and had leaks in the seams in 2 seasons.
I'm on Simms headwaters now but not long enough to comment.
What got me away from the Cabelas was that they were bulky and I wanted to look like a cool dude in Fly Fisherman magazine. Not worth it if your legs get soaked!!
MKern wrote:
My first pair of cables dry plus waders lasted me 10 years of hard fishing. They performed so well that when they developed a small leak I bought another pair. Four years into these pair and dry as a bone every trip.
Well worth $135.

I got the LL Bean Kennebecs. I will not preach their warranty because I feel something like that should not be abused since its intended for manufacturing issues, not because you walk through red briers.. I suggest the kennebecs simply because they are great waders for the price.

Try keeping your new waders as your dedicated pair of winter waders, only use them when they are most needed. For warmer weather in spring summer and fall, I use my older slightly leaky waders. It will prolong the life of a good pair of waders.

hendeylathe wrote:
You get what you pay for.

I find I get leaks, regardless what I pay for the waders. I prefer the cheaper leaks; it doesn't seem that my Patagonia Rio Gallegos warm the leaking water any :)

salmonoid wrote:

I find I get leaks, regardless what I pay for the waders. I prefer the cheaper leaks; it doesn't seem that my Patagonia Rio Gallegos warm the leaking water any :)

Amen

I'll offer another vote for Frogg Toggs. I'm 10 years in the pair I have now and I just got my first minor leak. Unlike brand name waders listed in the posts above that have never lasted 2 or 3 years for me before they leaked like a sieve. I wish my wading shoes were as durable. I bought a pair of leading brand shoes last year - the felt soles came off within a couple of week. I had them replaced with rubber soled shoes and those have begun to split on their tops this winter.

I am pretty happy with $120 redington crosswaters for both breathable performance and durability.

2nd on the Reddington Crosswaters, I paid around $100, this after I ruined my Sims booties after blowing out my Korkers boots. The Sims are headed back for new booties, the crosswaters have been getting their wear and holding up great.

I get about 7 or more years on Simms Waders however I wear wader pants instead of jeans. Jeans will break down any wader material quicker than wearing a fleece wader pant. I also chase pin holes that I put in them during the course of the year. I hand wash them at the end of the season and spray them down with a Goretex spray which helps with water repellent.

I think there are things that can prolong waders. I am just not into buying cheap waders and have to replace them often. Instead I buy quality and have learned to take care of them.

Ron

I treat my wader purchases more or less the same as I treat my outdoor grill purchases. I don’t buy bargain basement stuff, but I don’t want to spend so much that I feel I attached and obligated to continually make repairs on them (or have to deal with the inconvenience of having them professionally repaired) when they wear out or fail. I deliberately want them to be somewhat disposable in my mind.

I typically buy grilles in the $250-$350 range, usually trying to find a discounted store floor model at the end of the Summer so I can get something nicer for the money than I could otherwise. I don’t cover my grill any more…I subscribe to the cover doing more damage, or at least breaking even, in terms of keeping moisture in as opposed to just letting the air get to it. Over the life cycles of my last two grilles (both lasted 6 years with the grates needing replaced once at 3 years), I’ve seen no difference in terms of longevity in covering them or not covering them. The first one was covered, and the second one wasn’t. So why incur the extra cost for the cover. The third one is on the same path…two years old and generally in good shape. Grates are starting to rust and chip. I’ll probably get another year out of them and then replace them. A set of new cast iron grates is about $50 usually, and with the grilles in generally decent shape otherwise at 3 years, I’ve chosen to replace the grates. By the time the grates go the second time at about 6 years, more of the internals are starting to go and although the burners themselves are usually still ok, their mounts and flare guards are starting to rust out. The auto ignition is usually long gone at this juncture. As opposed to $50 for grates again, along with a bunch of other repairs and replacement parts, I’ve just junked and replaced them. Sure, I could buy a Weber or Broilmaster for 3x the initial cost, but will I get 3x the life out of it before needing these repairs? Maybe I guess. I certainly don’t think I’ll get 3x the performance out of it vs. the mid range stuff I’m buying. And I don’t really want to fork out the $1k at one time needed to try that method. I know some friends and family that have gotten extremely long lives out of Webers and Broilmasters, but they too have had to sink repair money into them over time…There’s some value too IMO in not feeling the need to spend your time and effort repairing and working on them. For reference, I use my grille often (weekly in Winter, and several times/week in better weather) and properly burn it off and clean the grates after each use.

How does this apply to waders you ask…In the same vein, I typically buy mid range waders…$150-$250/pair…sometimes more expensive stuff on discount when a new model comes out in a manufacturer’s lineup. I’ll undertake some minor repairs to acute tears or punctures, but when the seams start to go and the leaks become overwhelming, and/or the wader is just plain losing its ability to keep water out, they go in the trash can. Since my initial investment isn’t too much, I don’t feel the need to spend my time Aquasealing every square inch of the things any more. (Although I’ve done it in the past, only to get a few more outings of them.) A wader’s job is to keep water out, and more or less it’s a linear function in terms of the amount of time of leak free performance vs. cost IMO…generally about $100/year. That being said, Bean Kennebec’s have been my favorite waders and I’m on my second pair. (I purchased both pairs, as I was satisfied with the 3 years or so I got out of the first pair.) They’ve beaten some of the others I’ve had in terms of comfort and features for the price range, and have generally outperformed the $100/year model by a little in terms of leak free lifespan. In the event of a premature failure, Bean’s Satisfaction Guarantee is nice as well…Which I wouldn’t hesitate to use if I was honestly dissatisfied with their performance.

Just a little update.. I purchased Dan Bailey lightweight waders from spruce creek outfitters for $140 (originally 230), and I cant be any happier with them so far, very comfortable, nice pocket/zipper construction, the don't "bind" anywhere - lots of mobility, I very much doubt I could get a better pair of waders for that price... Al still has some sizes left at the shop so if anyone is in need of waders I would recommend contacting Al at spruce creek outfitters and seeing if he has any of your size left in stock

I just picked up a pair of LL Bean Flyweight stocking footed waders for $99. Haven't put them to work yet, but they sure feel pretty good.

For $200 I just picked up a pair of the Redington Sonic Dry's at the Lancaster show from the Fly Shack booth...non-zippered, previous year's model marked down from $400. Seem very well put together and the fit is pretty darn good other than the booties being just bit snug. These will compliment my Bean Kennebec waist highs for days on bigger waters, Penn's, Little J..... I've been very happy with the Beans, now going on their third season, but it'll be nice to not have to tip toe thru a those spots to get to the other side when the water is tickling the belt.

I agree with the above post. I try to buy $200 waders that were $400
previous year.. makes me feel better about spending $200 on waders.

Back