Best waders under $200.00

JMP

JMP

My current Cabelas breathable waders leak at the interface of the leg and neoprene boogie and cannot be repaired. What is the best option in breathable waders under $200.00? I was looking at Orvis and LL Bean and they appear to be comparable in quality.

I've had both Orvis and LL Beans. I'll take the Beans over the Orvis mainly because of the no questions warranty.

You get what you pay for.

$250 gets you into simms freestones and I have not read anything bad about them. They will be my next wader in a few weeks.

Keep checking sites like Madison River Fishing Company. They currently have Simms Convertibles (in certain sizes) on sale for $280.00.
Like my friend who runs a auto tire and repair shop. Do you want a good battery (AC Delco) or battery with a good warranty (Interstate).
http://www.mrfc.com/simms-headwaters-convertible-waders.html

For under $200 - you better get two. Then you'll have something to use when the first starts leaking

Getting wader advice here can be tricky. Awhile ago I heard my boots were a POS from someone whose out 200 times a year. While I may envy that a bit, we definitely have different gear needs.

Cabala's waders have served me well for the last 5 years...and they come in tall sizes. They just closed them out and I was able to get an the exact same tall size pair for $75 just to have. I think they are great.

John is right, different people expect different things from their gear. I have had a terrible time with waders. I've tried every major brand but decided to go with the Bean Kennebec waders. The satisfaction guarantee is great, I buy a new pair at the beginning of each year. Last year I exchanged them twice, I figure a year out of them meets my satisfaction. I'm hard on gear even though I only get on the water 25-30 days a year.

LL Bean

Im in the same boat as Ryan.

Ive had cheapy Cabelas ones, Orvis convertibles and Im currently wearing Simms G3s. All of them have leaked. I went through 3 pairs of Orvis waders before I pulled the trigger on the Simms. Theyve lasted the longest. I got a solid 8 months outta them before they started to leak around the booties and knees. They were GREAT until then. I fished for a few hours yesterday and was soaked from my knees down. Its unpleasant being about to feel 40 degree water dripping down your shin. I need to send them back to get fixed or something.

All waders leak as far as Im concerned, some just take longer to do so than other.

Simms Headwaters are coming down can get them for 250 places now.

My first pair of cables dry plus waders lasted me 10 years of hard fishing. They performed so well that when they developed a small leak I bought another pair. Four years into these pair and dry as a bone every trip.
Well worth $135.

I'm with Alby, Beaners all the way. I bought a pair of Kennebecs a couple years ago before heading to Montana. Got them a bit on sale for $215ish. Wore them heavily in Montana and in Alaska, and probably a couple dozen times in between. Never beat them up. They developed a leak in the left leg, which I felt wasn't due to harsh abuse. Called up Bean, they sent me a new pair under their complete satisfaction warranty.

I don't plan to abuse that, which one certainly could, but one things for sure, you can't beat how they stand behind their products.

My history with breathable waders, cheap, medium, and expensive, says figure on about $100 per year with my fishing frequency to get you to first leak. Repairs and a new DWR coating will limp through a while, and will usually drop me to $75/year. But when it changes from damp pants to dumping out water, or winter comes, it's time.

YMMV based on the type and amount of fishing you do in them. But the point remains the same. Doubling the price will pretty much double the longevity. You don't beat the curve, but nor do you lose ground.

So I don't look down on any wader philosophy. All the breathables are comfortable for me and do their job when new. From $120 Hodgemans up to $500 Simms. Brands I've owned include Hodgeman, Orvis, Cabelas, Bean, and Simms. I suppose I shop more on pocket layout now than anything, as with a Richardson the chest pouch has to be low enough to be usable.

One thing I did recently was replaced my worn Beans before they got real bad. They leak a little but it's not terrible. So now they are a usable backup to try to keep my Simms in better shape. The Beans are used for mountain streams where brush busting and rock scrambling is a way of life, and I don't spend a ton of time in water anyway. The Simms then for standing all day in deeper water. Also nice to have a spare for streams with invasives, and did the same early replacement with boots too.

I have a pair of Cabelas guideware 4 most waders. I'm on my 3rd year about 30 trips a year and so far not a drop! I have lost 82lbs so I'm thinking of getting a new pair this year.

Simms will patch up your waders if and when they leak. So you basically get two pairs when you buy them. And theyre the best you can buy.

I've had my Frog Toggs Hellbender breathables for going on the third year. I've put well over a hundred days in them and not so much as a leak. I also have a pair of Gander mountain neoprene duck unlimited boot foot waders I use for trapping and the occasional winter time gemmie outing. I've had them for 3 years too and really beat the hell out of them without a leak. They're really comfortable but unfortunately too warm to use for fishing unless it's in the 30's or below. I paid around $100 for each pair.

Wading boots are a different story. I'm on my second pair in 3 years and about due for a third.

I've had Frog Toggs Aunuras going on my third year. No problems. I paid $169 for them. I think they're up to $190 or so, these days.

I had the simms gortex for 6 years until they finally wore out and I walk a lot and fish a lot. I went with the headwaters came close to getting the g3's.

Back