Best value for flies?

giantsjim

giantsjim

Gang,

I do not tie flies, I buy them from the local fly shops in my area. I am sure this has been asked before, but is there a trustworthy internet site you frequent to purchase flies, leaders, tippet, etc? I am looking for decent flies at a good price w/o having to order a dozen of each size/color.

I do not need the cheapest because you normally get what you pay for but I go through a fair amount and hate paying $2 a pop each time. My family is on a budget and I am looking to save some $$ if I can and do not have the time or scratch to invest in tying. I also need a new pair of wading boots so if you have a site for that it would be great too.

Thanks in advance, Jim.

Tying some flies can be cheaper, as long as you don't lose sight of the goal. You could probably tie basic nymph patterns with an investment of less than $40. I think the biggest issue with tying as an expense is when people want to amass materials and tye whatever catches their interest.

What I use most often, pheasant tails, hare's ears, caddis nymphs and prince nymphs, are all easy and require only a handful of low cost materials. They're also all very easy patterns to learn.

Jim,

I’m echoing some what’s already been said and adding some information.

I’m a big fan of TheFlyStop. I can’t tie many flies for much less than what they charge (usually 55 cents/fly). The shipping is a flat $3 not matter how large the order. You can buy one of each. The quality is good. The shipping is fast. Their selection is good and growing.

I haven’t bought from them this year yet. I now seem to have all the materials to tie what I use after starting to tie about 2 years ago. But I’ll being running out today to buy a few materials for something I just read about and HAVE to try:) That’s the way it goes.

For wading boots I would recommend looking at Sierratradingpost.com. They have discontinued models from manufactures such as Simms, Cloudveil and others that are heavily discounted. Plus if you signup for their newsletter you’ll get a coupon almost every week for an additional 25% off or 15% plus free shipping. Right now you can get Korkers for less than $23 and simms boots for $30 with a coupon. Just go to your local shop and try on the latest version of the manufactures boot to find out what size you need. Some of the discounted boots are just felt or aquastealth models of a boot that are being replaced by Vibram sole models.

Durability is the issue that i think makes all the difference , if you learn to tie , even with a minimum investment , the confidence factor and the durability factor will not only make the investment worthwhile but in the long run you will get off cheaper and be a better fly fisher in the process it's a win / win. You said your family is on a budget , maybe a family member would be interested in tying , or you can make tying a family thing , both of my daughters can tie , they aren't real interested but the time spent together was cool.

Thanks for the quick responses.

While I appreciate the suggestions to tie, I am on a time budget probably more than a financial one at this point. Carving fishing time is a challenge enough between the Dad and husband duties, as I am sure many of you know all too well.

Tom & gzac, thanks for the fly stop. Looks good. And I signed up on the sierra site too. This is the stuff I was shooting for. Again, appreciate all your input.

I've been happy with the fly stop (see above) and

http://www.blueflycafe.com/

Ones from the latter are a tad more expensive (but still cheap) and, subjectively, might be more durable but of course I don't have any hard data.

I tie some flies when I have the time but often buy them in assortments to save money. I would recommend Big Y fly company they have great assortments if you like to buy flies that way, they also have excellent prices too. I've found their flies to be good quality.

http://www.bigyflyco.com/

Back