Best Tool for Crushing the Hook Barb

I only pinch the barbs down if a customer specifically asks me to do it for them. That leaves them the option to keep them as is or pinch the barbs down. All I use is a pair of needle nose pliers. I have never had a problem with using them.

I always crimp the barb, no reason not to. The remaining nub has all the holding ability one needs and won't prolong the hook removal or injure the fish even if is swallowed. A good vise has hardened jaws that won't be damaged crimping hooks, it's an easy step before setting the hook to crimp the barb down, no fuss, no tools, should be mandatory for the c and r boys.

I always crimp the barb before tying the fly. If you go through the trouble to tie a fly and have the hook break when crushing the barb, you have wasted your efforts. If the hook breaks before tying when crimping the barb, no time and effort wasted.

defranksflies and JMP , i'm with you on this one , do it in the vise the jaws are much harder steel than the hooks , don't flatten it down flat , leave a "bump"

Carry a small set of needle nose pliers, hooked to vest. Right after tying on mash the barb. Make releasing a lot quicker, and if you will, cleaner.

Next purchase of hooks will be barbless, cost minimal better for fish.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Something like these pliers.

That's what i have been using for a few years now and they work great. I crush the barb on every hook unless I'm tying for someone that requests otherwise. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't recall ever breaking a hook while crushing the barb down.You shouldn't really be applying much pressure to the hook other than right on the barb.
Mike.

I'm not a fan of using the vise. Some hooks can be rather hard and can mar jaws of softer steel.

wouldnt inserting a hook in the normal fashion do more damage?

a lot less pressure is used in mashing down the barb vs clamping onto a hook so it doesnt move.

Be a man, use your teeth! ;-)

What teeth?

Back