Best Tool for Crushing the Hook Barb

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

What do people use to crush the barb prior to tying the fly? I tried, my needle nose pliers have groves and so they do not do a good job especially with the smaller hooks. Any insights appreciated.

Your vise

Something like these pliers.

Ed, those look alot like the pair I use. They have flat jaws and work perfectly.

Yep

I use a pair of smooth jawed needle nose pliers, dr. slick makes them. Heck Gene you might have seen them at the WCFF tying nights we used to go to.

At a fly tying class, a very experienced tier used a pair of round needle nose jewelry pliers. They are available at Walmart. A three plier set is very cheep, includes three different pliers. I keep these at my bench to crimp the barb, cut wire, etc.

Go to Harbor Freight and find some small flat nose pliers. No need to get carried away.

Ditto the round nose pliers. They are simply the best. Get the finest pair you can find use the tips for small hooks and move up to the thicker area for larger hooks. They are perfect for rolling the barb against the hook and completely closing the barb. I used to use a flat type barb and found that sometime the barb would not close all the way and make the hook difficult to remove. I keep mine at my tying bench and debarb the hook before putting it in my vise.

I use a very small width but long file. Takes a little longer to file the barb off than snap it off, but I don't risk snapping the whole hook tip off that way.

I use my Abel pliers. The tips of the jaws are flat. Honestly those things are expensive but they are one of the best tools I have in my bag.

"I use a very small width but long file. Takes a little longer to file the barb off than snap it off, but I don't risk snapping the whole hook tip off that way."
You Snap them off ? Most people flatten them by squeezing with the pliers, no ?

I also bought a curved needle nose from Harbor Freight . I keep one at the tying desk and another in my vest.

My Mom is in to jewelry making and had an extra pair of small pliers. They are like needle nose but without the grooves. Works perfect. You could probably find them at any bead store or maybe walmart.

You people have lots of money to spare, except the guys who went to Harbour Freight.

Or Walmart. That's even cheaper.

Find a pair of whatever $2 junk flat pliers they have, and buy them. If you're really savvy, you could even buy a set at a dollar store.

But, y'know, being a high roller, I went Walmart.

$130 Abel pliers. Sweet Jebus, you people are nuts.

Yeah, I need to upgrade my hook barb crushing tool from the crappy set of hemostats I found streamside somewhere and threw in with my tying materials to something designed and manufactured specifically for the job. I'm as big a gear junkie as the next guy but even I can draw the line when it comes to this application.

defranksflies wrote:
Your vise

I'm not a fan of using the vise. Some hooks can be rather hard and can mar jaws of softer steel.

gfen wrote:

You people have lots of money to spare, except the guys who went to Harbour Freight.

Harbour Freight? Is that the upscale UK version of Harbor Freight? :cool:

I find the thought of the Abel pliers intriguing. Maybe I could get a pair of them to match the color of my Abel nippers. ;-)

Or maybe I should spend the $ on buying you lunch/beers.

Your call.

KeithS wrote:
"I use a very small width but long file. Takes a little longer to file the barb off than snap it off, but I don't risk snapping the whole hook tip off that way."
You Snap them off ? Most people flatten them by squeezing with the pliers, no ?

I never thought that simply crushing the barbs did enough for me. There's still a barb there. It competitive fly fishing if the hook barb catches on a piece of wool then it's not really legal. Either crushing the barb or even giving a slight twist to snap it off wasn't enough for me so the file was the logical conclusion.

small pair of duck bill pliers

Back