Best technique book?

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Aside from casting and learning to tie, one thing I really need instruction on is technique on reading water, the best way to fish different flies, etc.

I have had some success, but realize how more successful I can be. Is there a good book to pick up? Thanks

Joe Humphries book Trout Tactics

The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout an anthological volume of trout fishing, trout histories, trout lore, trout resorts, and trout tackle

By: Charles Barker Bradford

http://www.amazon.com/Determined-anthological-fishing-histories-resorts-ebook/dp/B006FL2CCW

Nothing beats getting out on the water with someone willing to show you the ropes.

djs12354 wrote:
Nothing beats getting out on the water with someone willing to show you the ropes.

This.

Humphreys' book is good, and I learned from it, but nothing beats getting out there and learning what to look for. I guess I take for granted my Dad taught me about reading water at a young age.

"The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout" sounds interesting.

Very readable book that covers the basics well:

Tactics for Trout, by Dave Hughes

Sightly more advanced, for some of the finer points of the art:

Common Sense Fly Fishing, by Eric Stroup

I found both of these very easy to understand. Nothing beats getting out on the water, but you'll have some idea where to start if you read Hughes book. And you'll have more of an idea how to solve some of the problems you have to solve if you read Stroup's book.

There are other books, some just as good. These two have the advantage of putting a lot of info into a few pages.

After that, there are a million others that look at some more specific aspect or another.

I'd study your knots, too, and practice tying them. You get get guides to that on-line.

For a fact, there's a huge amount of great information on specific situations, problems, and challenges right here in this forum. You can check up on that just by doing a search. But for best results, you need to get out there and fish first, so you'll know what questions you want answered.

George Daniels Dynamic Nymphing has a pile of good information in it.

While I agree with the "nothing beats getting out there" idea, when it comes to home schooling, I have to strongly suggest the Humphries book. And his videos.

Regarding techniques and strategy I find them the best hands down.

pcray1231 wrote:
While I agree with the "nothing beats getting out there" idea, when it comes to home schooling, I have to strongly suggest the Humphries book. And his videos.

Regarding techniques and strategy I find them the best hands down.

Pat - are you feeling okay? Such brevity is not like you! :)

Getting past this _ I'll add a plus one to George Daniel's book. (Which I'm still working my way through)

+1 for Joe Humpries book, I have recently just got it and it goes into pretty good detail.

Fishing the four seasons by Dave Hughes is another good one

Thanks to all. Anyone who wants to take me out in about a month... I'm in

No Hatch To Match by Rich Osthoff is a good read. It's generally based on tactics for fishing between hatches. His idea of exploring streams and bybassing sections of unproductive water was very helpful to me. But, as previously mentioned, time on the water with a little bit of knowledge is the way to gain experience and have success.

"The Orvis Guide to Prospecting for Trout" Tom Rosenbauer

Although not specifically about reading water, the book provides a framework for evaluating a stream.

There's also a Rosenbauer book specifically about "reading water," which I'm pretty sure is entitled "Reading Water." Or, it certainly has those two words in the title because, y'know, its about reading water.

The easiest way to do it is make a freind who's not an idiot, ask them to teach you how fish with a nymph and a bobber. If they insist on teaching you anything that's not a bobber for your first few forays, they're an idiot. Move on.

Once you understand how to fish with the indicator, you're set. Go out, and do the same things he did. Repeatedly.

If flies hatch, remove bobber, and tie on a floating fly. Fish it like the indicator. See, it was two lessons in one! Everyone wins!

#everyonewins

gfen is correct, at least about the book. Most recent title is "The Orvis Guide to Reading Trout Streams, Revised."

I have the book suggested above and think it is an excellent reference but there is no substitute for spending time streamside gaining actual experience.

I would agree with the strike indicator approach to start but I would encourage you to strive to learn to eventually fish without a strike indicator. Due to surface water flowing faster than water along the bottom, a strike indicator can actually pull your fly along too fast and you won’t catch fish. Fishing without an indicator minimizes this possibility. Either way, keeps drifts short and work the stream in small sections – do not try and drift a 20 foot section.

I only use an indicator when I cannot get close enough to the hole I want to fish or in more turbulent water where in either case I cannot clearly see my leader. That is how you fish without an indicator you watch the point where your leader breaks the surface for any sudden movements.

I also carry two types of indicators – a rubber bobber type indicator and a yarn type indicator. For faster more turbulent waters I use the rubber bobber indicator because it’s unsinkable and for quieter waters where I don’t want a bobber making a big splash I use the yarn indicator or even a large dry Wulff type dry fly (either can sink in turbulent water).

Get out and practice.

George Daniels and Eric Stroup's both have great books.

Erics fly fishing page is awesome.

djs12354 wrote:

This man speaks truth as well as retaining it and trying things on ur own. That said; on the topic of books I’m also a big fan of much of Tom Rosenbauer (Orvis) … both book, web (ovis site) and TV. Last summer after fishing my 1st small stream I ran out and purchased the "Orvis Guide to Small Stream Fishing".

I just purchased LL Bean FF for Bass which seems good for the basic bass knowledge .... nothing fancy or spectacular.

Back